Petti flagship or Ephipanes?

John Baudendistel

Mar 19, 2015, 11:52:06 AM3/19/15
to Passport Owners
Hey there fellow Passporters. The proverbial varnish question. I have lost a battle in the war against the sun an have to take the varnish back to wood. Ugh!
I like the blonde look of Flagship but many like Epiphanies for its durability. Oh and I'm in SF bay. What are your thoughts on a very blond varnish look which has high UV. I'm only considering spar varnish.

Thanks for your thoughts

John B
Dream Keeper
P 42
Hey she is 30 this year!

John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com

psherwood

Mar 19, 2015, 1:16:25 PM3/19/15
to John Baudendistel, Passport Owners
I personally like the blonde look a lot. I know you're considering only
spar varnishes, nevertheless, a couple of bits:

When I first redid the brightwork I used Dura-Tuff Clear Coat, not a
spar varnish but a 1-part polyurethane. Got blonde finish that was
indeed tough and durable beyond reasonable expectations. It eventually
went away as the product wasn't available where I was at the time.

Now I use Cetol Natural Teak, without the glossy top coat (also not a
spar varnish), and it also produces a (to me) pleasantly lighter-colored
finish. Not fully blonde, but not what I perceive as the dark, muddy
brown of regular Cetol. It performs as or better than advertised,
although it doesn't stand up to nicks and dings like the Dura-Tuff did.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Marina Seca work area, San Carlos