Re: Little Bird

L M

Mar 11, 2018, 11:55:30 PM3/11/18
to michael balfany, William Foster, POA
Mike, Bill,
I thought I would include the owners assoc. on our chat, since we might attract other owners of the "..more graceful and prettier boat."  🙊
Mike, I do have the pullman berth, which I like.  With two young kids on board at times, I would have liked the quarter berth.  My main cabin is very awkward when having to set up the queen bed.  It requires removal of table AND pedastal, which we have to store in the galley, and then retrieve the large cushion and support boards (both which take up other storage space)...we do it, and sleeping is comfortable, but it gets old.  Of course the answer is a 52' !
Speaking of transoms, I was in Jabins Yard in Back Creek, Annapolis, several years ago
for an entire boating season on the hard, doing some maintenance, when I realized that there were THREE other Passports, within 75' of Black Prince.  I decided to take pictures of this unusual event and had planned to share them with the association to learn something about those other P's and their owners (none of whom I met while in the yard).  However, I never got around to publishing the pics until now, when Bill raised the issue again about different shaped transoms.  So, I have attached those pics here.  I'm still uncertain about whether Magico's transom is shaped differently, or whether the respective paint designs create an illusion.  At one point when I was actually at Bill's boat, Magico's transom appeared to have an almost teardrop point at the bottom of the sterns' midpoint.

Lou McFadden
s/v Black Prince
1986 Passport 37'

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM, michael balfany <balf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the introduction Bill,

I am truly honored to be among such fine examples of Bristol P37's.  Lou, your boat is truly elegant.  When I purchased Little Bird, then Seascape, in Vallejo CA, I had a wonderful chance to compare a P40 to the P37 as they just happened to be berthed next to each other.  It didn't take long to see the beautiful nuances that Robert Perry crafted into her lines.  As he states in his book on Yacht Design (page 132 to be exact), "...the more graceful and prettier boat".  I was smitten with the 37 at first sight.

I would love to exchange whatever little I have to offer on my continuing upgrade of Little Bird.  She recently received a Hydrovane which I had a chance to take for a spin down to Half Moon Bay.  Can't speak highly enough of the stability and sense of confidence it instilled during our sail.  Not much of a surprise sine they are so well balanced to begin with.

One question I've never had answered is if the P37 utilized the Steele punchings for trim ballast that have raised such havoc in the P40 fleet.

I look forward to a long and wonderful relationship with you all and Little Bird.

All the best, Mike Balfany
S/V Little Bird P37 hull#3

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM William Foster <wfost...@aol.com> wrote:
Mike meet Lou.
S / V Black Prince.
Best

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: L M <lua...@gmail.com>
Date: March 8, 2018 at 3:14:14 PM EST
To: William Foster <wfost...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Little Bird

Bill,
Good talking today, and thanks for the pic of Little Bird...she is clearly a sister ship to Black Prince.  Will look forward to speaking with Mike.  Hope to catch up with you this season.  I've attached a pic for Mike's benefit.
Regards
Lou

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018, 10:22 AM William Foster <wfost...@aol.com> wrote:
Lou,

I contacted the below who has P37 hull#3 after he posted something on the Passport site. Looks like his boat is much like yours. He also texted me about his upgrades including chain plates and rudder cage.
His name is Mike Balfany and his cell# is 952-297-5845. You both need to meet so I am taking the liberty of sending this AND will copy Him to make everything easier.

Mike,

You will find Lou McFadden most informed and his P37 S/V Black Prince of great interest. I look forward to chatting with you (both).

Best...

Mar 16, 2018, 5:29:23 PM3/16/18
to Passport Owners
Hey everyone - I’ve been lurking here but thought I’d say hi since you’ve posted as photo of my P40 at Bert Jabins. She is pictured here without a name on the transom, but she is Running Fish and she has just completed a 5 year refit that covered absolutely everything. I’m really excited to be launching what is essentially a new boat next week.

L M

Mar 16, 2018, 6:49:26 PM3/16/18
to Scott Allard, Passport Owners
Hi Scott,
Yeah, I finally got around to posting that unique collection of passports.  I think that was a couple years ago, right?  Has the boat been undergoing the refit since I took that pic?  So your launching from Jabins soon?  I've sailed to Fla. last spring, now still looking for time to get her to Bahamas. Love to see your refit.  It is always good to have the boat around plenty of good Craftsmen and mechanics as Annapolis
Lou

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018, 5:29 PM Scott Allard <scottata...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone - I’ve been lurking here but thought I’d say hi since you’ve posted as photo of my P40 at Bert Jabins.  She is pictured here without a name on the transom, but she is Running Fish and she has just completed a 5 year refit that covered absolutely everything.  I’m really excited to be launching what is essentially a new boat next week.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply: