Rudder skeg drainage

Ernie Reuter

Mar 17, 2018, 5:51:16 AM3/17/18
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. We have Iemanja on the hard at the momet for bottom paint. We seem to have water seepage that is non stop coming out of what appears ro be bronze casting junction at the base of the rudder skeg. The drips come out right where the rudder sits in its little bowl shaped spot. So there appears to be moisture that had entered the skeg. Has anyone drilled into this to drain the skeg and if so where is the best spot? I guess the first real question is .... is the skeg hollow or solid? That would certainly make a difference as to the ability to drain it.  Finsl thought then would be how the water got in. Color of the water is our favorite brown tea that also comes out of the caprail joint.

Matthew Davidson

Mar 17, 2018, 2:29:36 PM3/17/18
to Passport Owners
Ernie
This maybe a dumb question...Are you sure it’s the skeg? Could be leakage out Around the rudder shaft? Drill a few holes in the base of the rudder to see if that’s your culprit before drilling the skeg.
Matthew

Ernie Reuter

Mar 17, 2018, 3:05:46 PM3/17/18
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
We do have a recurring issue with water in the rudder. Each time we haul we drill and drain. Not alot comes out. I believe this is somehow from the skeg. We have isolated it to the horizontal surface where the rudder sits on.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Bob Peahl

Mar 17, 2018, 3:30:43 PM3/17/18
to Ernie Reuter, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
I believe the horizontal surface where the rudder sits is solid bronze.  That shoe is bolted to the skeg via bronze thru bolts.

Bob Peahl

Donald Fife

Mar 17, 2018, 4:28:41 PM3/17/18
to Bob Peahl, Ernie Reuter, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
SV Bugler had a rusty leak around the Skeg shoe. I noticed it at every haul out in the last ten years. The last haul out had much more drainage. Last summer in Mazatlan I had the shoe removed and inspected for damage, then rebeaded. Will see next haul out if this was a good fix.

Don

Sent from my iPhone

Ernie Reuter

Mar 17, 2018, 5:12:48 PM3/17/18
to Bob Peahl, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Bob you are correct. The bronze shoe bolts on to the base of the skeg. If the skeg is solid fiberglass rather than hollow, i cant figure out where the water is migrating from.

Ernie Reuter

Mar 17, 2018, 5:16:44 PM3/17/18
to Donald Fife, Bob Peahl, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Don....very good information. Our is recurring as well. Do you know if water or moisture was very evident right at that bronze shoe/skeg joint and if the skeg was hollow or solid?