LED Replacement Festoon bulbs for the courtesy lights

Francisco Garuti

Dec 2, 2016, 11:20:13 PM12/2/16
to Passport Owners

Can anyone share the festoon bulb size for the courtesy lights? Was this standard Passport 40 issue?

Thanks in advance!

View[+]Finder

Dec 3, 2016, 11:27:12 AM12/3/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
Nothing is ‘standard’ on a P40. Even some threaded fittings like nuts and bolts were made on-site as the boat was built. That said, I began the LED conversion of View[+]Finder in NZ nearly 16 years ago and the festoon bulbs for the floor ‘night-lites’ were the first. I used what was available from an auto parts store in NZ, but now Amazon has everything you need to replace incandescent bulbs with LED’s.

These are still considered “auto-parts” and are metric sized. The last festoon ones I bought on Amazon were ‘T10’ size. Arm yourself with a set of cheap metric calipers and measure what was there before. Order from Amazon and install.

The only tricky bit in my LED conversion was the double contact bulb for the reading lights. All the fuss I went through has been rendered redundant by the plethora of made-to-fit LED’s. All have now been converted to flat panel LED’s without replacing the fixture.

My only caution is to be aware of the voltage supplied by your battery when being charged versus the design spec of the LED. Cheap “12V” LED’s may fail on 14.4V; go for the better (more expensive) ones that incorporate a voltage regulator into the LED ‘bulb’ flat panel.

Donal
View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
Belvedere, CA  94920

On Dec 2, 2016, at 20:20 , Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can anyone share the festoon bulb size for the courtesy lights? Was this standard Passport 40 issue?

Thanks in advance!

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent

Dec 3, 2016, 11:33:40 AM12/3/16
to Passport Owners
I just removed the clear lens and purchased some ready made LED's that I mounted into the remaining black plastic space. Worked like a charm.

Local Talent #112

psherwood

Dec 4, 2016, 8:19:35 PM12/4/16
to Francisco Garuti, Passport Owners
My courtesy lights don't have festoon bulbs at all -- rather, some sort
of funky, old-school little 12 V bulb in a cheesy, awkward plastic fixture.

Note to self: replace courtesy lights.

Phil
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

Neil Lynch

Dec 4, 2016, 11:01:22 PM12/4/16
to Passport Owners
I would agree.  I took a look at our courtesy lights today,  and they have little #57 12v miniature bayonet bulbs covered in red plastic.  I think an upgrade to led is in order.   Neil
Message has been deleted

robhen...@hotmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 11:39:37 PM12/5/16
to Passport Owners
Better yet, has anyone found a nice fixture with LEDs to replace those existing Curiosity Lights ??? I attempted to use those West Marine teak switch plates with an Atwood red LED lamp, but that thinly cut teak is too brittle to reshape. Found some lamps at the boat show once --Imartra-- that came close, but they did not look quite right for the job.