Spectra water maker brine discharge....

Ernie Reuter

Mar 25, 2015, 6:01:09 PM3/25/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone......I'm installing a spectra 150 watermaker aboard Iemanja. The brine discharge is spec'd to install into a thru hull above the waterline but I don't have one above the waterline. My thought is to T into the galley sink drain with a check valve to keep drain water from back filling and also a gate valve above to really play it safe. The Clark pump unit is on the floor under the galley sink so there is a rise of the brine to where it will leave the boat. Any help with installs of this type would be much appreciated....thanks...
Ernie
SV Iemanja
BTV........but now in Little River SC.....yes we finally left the lake!

Michael Moradzadeh

Mar 25, 2015, 6:12:02 PM3/25/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I set my brine discharge to go into the galley sink drain as well. No valves, though I am wishing I had put in a shutoff valve.  Never had any problems with it, though.

Your plan is a good one.  I went the whole nine yards:

Brine intake teed off the galley footpump
Brine out teed into galley drain
Service product out teed into the freshwater footpump out

I had followed the earlier advice to tee the product water run into the tank vent.  That actually led to a problem when there was a crack in a pump and also the vent had become clogged.  Pumped 80 gals into the bilge.  Bummer that this was 1000 miles offshore.

Michael
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Mar 25, 2015, 9:27:50 PM3/25/15
to Michael Moradzadeh, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
That's basically how mine was plumbed. I also had a fourth tee or valve
so I could mix up some of the pickling solution and suck it in through a
little pickup tube to the membrane.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
on the hard, Marina Seca San Carlos
>> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> No virus found in this message.
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

Dean Jones P40 112

Mar 26, 2015, 1:01:13 PM3/26/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I put my 150 inside the sofa cabinets on the port side. (I needed pots and pans storage beneath the sink!) Do drill a separate hole for the fresh water into the top of the tank, and don't use the same vent for the reasons others wrote below. I also put the brine discharge T'ed into the sink drain. It works great, but I was careful to loop the hose up to the top behind the sink cabinet - up in the back - before dropping it down to the T in the drain. When the boat was hauled, I put a small scoup over the foot pump salt water intake, because when sailing above 5 knots, it couldn't get enough water and a vacume would form. If you go long distance, also carry a spare sure flow pump rebuild kit for the pump. Mine lost pressure after a year, (even though it seemed to work fine?). But the loss of pressure reduced the fresh water output. Other than that after a year of constant use, it has worked quite well.

Dean Jones
Local Talent 112