Porthole Dogs....

wi...@appletonproperties.com

Aug 18, 2016, 4:51:20 PM8/18/16
to Passport Owners
Has anyone figured out a cheap solution for replacing the plastic porthole dogs on the Passport 40. Several of mine have become dry and brittle and though super glue has gotten me through the last season, it is not uncommon for the dogs to snap in half in my hand. I know that receiving screw for the dog is metric and I would hate to have to get metric bolts and then get actual dog handles manufactured. Any other thoughts other than porthole replacement?

Will
Artax #146

Ernie Reuter

Aug 19, 2016, 9:01:34 AM8/19/16
to wi...@appletonproperties.com, Passport Owners
I think we are all having the same issues....
I was just thinking....could we find the correct metric nut size which is easy enough to do. Then take the stainless nut to a welding shop and have some type of knob or flat section tacked on, polish it up and youd sell a bunch of them....the trick is to find a SS knob...maybe a knurled knob from MacMaster Carr....I don't know.....just thinking out this morning on one cup of coffee...cheaper than port replacement...
Ernie
SV Iemanja in Little River SC
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ernie Reuter

Aug 19, 2016, 9:12:25 AM8/19/16
to wi...@appletonproperties.com, Passport Owners
I just found this on my first pass. I will check to see what minimum order would be to tap to the metric that we need. I'm not on the boat at the moment....can anyone tell me the metric size...or standard if that's what it might be. Top view is a four pronged knob.
Ernie

On Thursday, August 18, 2016, <wi...@appletonproperties.com> wrote:
--
IMG_1246.jpg

View[+]Finder

Aug 19, 2016, 11:09:47 AM8/19/16
to wi...@appletonproperties.com, Passport Owners
A simple wing-nut. “Crummy”? Yes. Cheap? Less than $3 each for 12mm. Even less for smaller sizes.
BTW, “welding and polishing” are expensive as each item is a one-off; the 21st century practice is CAD-CAM where the incremental cost of production goes down fast as the quantity increases. Plastics are much stronger these days, so the “nut embedded in plastic” might be replaced with a plastic part.

Just sayin . . .

Donal

On Aug 18, 2016, at 14:29 , wi...@appletonproperties.com wrote:

A metric wing-nut would work but is kind of a crummy solution. I was hoping someone might have located a manufacturer who made replacements or might know someone who has made plastic molds for new "gadgets".

William Fastow
Broker
Appleton Properties

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 18, 2016, at 5:11 PM, View[+]Finder <wcx...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Will,
How about a picture? My P40 has portholes and they are held shut as needed. I would not call the plastic gadgets that hold them shut ‘dogs’ as there is no handle on them. See photo attached. If this is like your porthole, McMaster Carr list a variety of metric wing-nuts that would do the job for not much money.

Donal

View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
1 Peninsula Road, Gate B
Belvedere, CA  94920

<Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 14.04.39 .png>

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Aug 19, 2016, 12:03:52 PM8/19/16
to Passport Owners
http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section8/index.html#wing-nuts-and-wing-screws
has a huge variety of wing nuts and all sorts of metal and plastic
knobs: lobed, knurled, plastic, metal, blank, through-bored, etc.

I won't be back on my boat 'til November but can put a thread gauge on
the bolts in question then, if no one's had a chance to do it by then.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos

[...]
> On Aug 18, 2016, at 14:29 , wi...@appletonproperties.com
> <mailto:wi...@appletonproperties.com> wrote:
>
> A metric wing-nut would work but is kind of a crummy solution. I was
> hoping someone might have located a manufacturer who made replacements
> or might know someone who has made plastic molds for new "gadgets".

> William Fastow
[...]

Graham

Aug 20, 2016, 9:31:57 AM8/20/16
to Passport Owners
Isn't this what you are looking for?
I did not look for other sources.... there may be better ones. These are not cheap but $22.00 per port is a whole lot less that the cost of a replacement port.

I will check my P40 to check the thread as these show as 3/8 but as you are getting the stud and the captive knob, it doesn't really matter.
Most of the threads on the Taiwanese built Passports were American (UNC or UNF).

These studs should fit the P40 "Hood" Portlights although at least one of the portlights often had longer studs to permit clearance of the teak hand rail/gutter.

Graham