Anchor roller woes

瀏覽次數:5 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Francisco Garuti

未讀,
2016年11月24日 下午4:27:012016/11/24
收件者:Passport Owners

I unfortunately cannot take pictures since Im away from the boat, but I drew something that I hope will help explain my troubles.

My Passport came with a 60lbs Manson Supreme anchor. It shows it has been hitting the roller furling pin that attaches to the forestay. The anchor itself shows wear and tear from that constant hitting. The boat used to have an SL555, so I guess there was so much damage that could be done being a manual windlass. I just installed a Maxwell RC10-10. It potentially has much more ability to inflict damage.

The anchor also contacts the furler pin when being deployed. As you can see in IMAGE1, it hits A when coming up, and it "slides" hitting B on the way down. It will not really autoaunch, I have to kick it so it goes past the initial friction when going down. The Manson Supreme has a rail shape on top that is used to attach the chain to it so you could potentially drive over the anchor and pull the forward portion of it out. That "rail" is bent. It's bent where the anchor hits the furler pin when going down.

The bow roller seems to be what is usually a Bruce anchor roller. The boat had a Bruce in the past, and from the looks of it, it's the classic bow roller design that fit the bruce perfectly.

I want to try and avoid all of this. Anyone has had this problem? Is it just the worst anchor you could buy for this particular boat/roller configuration :)?

Anyhow, I did some stuff. In IMAGE2 I put a piece of hard rubber (and wide) on the First Pin, so it will stop the anchor from hitting the furler pin on it's way up. Unfortunately even if I used a big one, since it compresses with the anchor force, it still hits the pin. It definetively eases the force the anchor exerts. But I think I will try putting a PVC cover over it next time Im there to give it some rigidity.

I am now torn between solutions. First thing I was thinking of doing was purchasing the Anchor Mate by Mantus and trying that. The second, just trying another anchor (Its expensive, but also the Manson shows quite a bit of rusting where the anchor has been hitting the pin), but there are no guarantees a different anchor (even if Rocna and Mantus would be thinner at the "critical" portion of the neck) will work, and they will probably still hit the pin on the way down just as the Manson does.

Another idea would be to extend the bow roller, I guess a metal fabricator could build me something I can attach via thrubolts to the end of my bow roller and extend it outwards a bit. Anyone has any experience doing this?

Thanks in advance for all and every opinion.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
WC_6287.jpg

Rob Raymond

未讀,
2016年11月24日 下午4:56:092016/11/24
收件者:Francisco Garuti、Passport Owners
We had a Manson on our last boat and loved it. When it came time to replace the ground tackle on our P40 we though we would put on a Manson, but after taking a few measurements it became apparent the shank of the Manson wouldn't fit under the fore-stay pin. We opted to go with a Rocna 25, which fits so well on our boat it's almost like it was designed to fit a P40.

It still rubs on the fore-stay pin when deploying and won't self launch, but I marked the chain with a zip strap for the correct amount to let out for "pre-launch". Then we just give it a push with our foot and it drops over the bow ready to go...without putting holes in the bow.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Bill Schmidt

未讀,
2016年11月25日 上午11:59:412016/11/25
收件者:Passpor...@googlegroups.com

It's hard to look at the drawings, but , for sure, the bow casting looks like no other Passport bow casting I've ever seen. Where did that come from? Maybe that is the problem, not the anchor.

Billy Manana

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
bill.vcf

Francisco Garuti

未讀,
2016年11月25日 下午1:13:582016/11/25
收件者:Passport Owners

From photos I seem to notice it is kind of the "standard" Passport anchor roller. I will post some photos in December when I get back there.

Marty McOmber

未讀,
2016年11月25日 下午1:29:212016/11/25
收件者:Francisco Garuti、Passport Owners
I'll second the Rocna 25. Fits like a glove on the roller (1985 P40) and it has been hands down the best anchor I have ever used.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 25, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

From photos I seem to notice it is kind of the "standard" Passport anchor roller. I will post some photos in December when I get back there.

--

Rob Raymond

未讀,
2016年11月25日 下午1:39:542016/11/25
收件者:Marty McOmber、Francisco Garuti、Passport Owners
Francisco, from your drawing you appear to have the same stem fitting/anchor roller as our boat. The only pin going through ours is the one holding the fore-stay. Unless you have a solent stay I'm not sure what the aft pin would do for you except get in the way of launching the anchor.

I've thought about putting something on the under side of the fore-stay fitting to protect the fitting and anchor from wear and have less friction when deploying the anchor, but I'm not sure what material would hold up and stay in place. Has anyone tried this?

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Marty McOmber <mmco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll second the Rocna 25. Fits like a glove on the roller (1985 P40) and it has been hands down the best anchor I have ever used.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 25, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Francisco Garuti <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

From photos I seem to notice it is kind of the "standard" Passport anchor roller. I will post some photos in December when I get back there.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Francisco Garuti

未讀,
2016年11月25日 下午3:06:222016/11/25
收件者:Passport Owners、mmco...@gmail.com、fga...@gmail.com

Rob, I actually don't have a pin going through that slot. I just wanted to mention where holes for potential pins where. In the end this are potential places to put both the forestay (maybe, depending on how much adjustment you have left on the threads) and a potential roller for example. I tried putting a small roller on pin 3 to limit how much the anchor tail goes up (and thus potentially avoid hitting the furler pin), to no avail. It just makes the launching worse. I believe there has to be a better way. But maybe the better way is either extending the existing anchor roller SS piece, or replacing it for a longer one :(

Francisco Garuti

未讀,
2016年11月25日 下午3:08:002016/11/25
收件者:Passport Owners、mmco...@gmail.com、fga...@gmail.com

I was also wandering for people that do have that anchor roller, where their own furler pin is located (aft, middle, front)? I wonder if some passports have different setup here

Jeff and Jane Woodward

未讀,
2016年11月25日 晚上8:26:062016/11/25
收件者:Rob Raymond、Marty McOmber、Francisco Garuti、Passport Owners

Here are some pics of our setup.  Hope they help.

Jeff

Adagio, P40 #109, 1986