Soliciting input on Passport 40

Rex Denton

May 27, 2017, 11:36:48 AM5/27/17
to Passport Owners
Hello Everyone!,
I am looking to get a cruiser aiming toward exploring the Caribbean, likely settling in Eastern MD, Annapolis/Kent/Oxford for the 'next phase of my career' (so to speak).  The Passport 40 seems a vessel well purposed for my needs for family, space, and seaworthiness/passage for a former racer who now prefers seaworthiness over bruising excitement.

1)  If I am to be based in the  in the Chesapeake, is the draft of the Passport 40 an issue for these shallow waters vis-a-vis day sailing/weekends?
2) Any concerns on AC retrofit if one is available that currently doesn't have it?
3) Anyt specific issues  I should be looking for in a survey?
4) Anyone know of a good boats for sale?  Something similar?

Thanks in advance,

R. Rex Denton, PhD

Larry Rovin

May 27, 2017, 11:42:34 AM5/27/17
to Rex Denton, Passport Owners
We have sailed the Chesapeake on Whisper for 16 years.  Do you have to be a little more careful getting in to some anchorages? Sure. Has it ever felt like a problem? No.

Sent from my iPad
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

May 27, 2017, 1:36:39 PM5/27/17
to Rex Denton, Passport Owners
I don't know the Chesapeake, but I've sailed all around the western
Caribbean as well as the Pacific side of Central America, where the
water likewise tends to get pretty skinny. No problem, but be sure your
depth gauge is calibrated and you know where you are in the tide cycle
at a given moment. I figure 6' draw, or more conservatively, 2 meters.

On this group you'll of course find a lot of enthusiasm for P40s and
P42s. For me, the P40 has been just the right boat, has been my
comfortable home for long periods of time at a stretch, and has taken me
safely and adequately swiftly across a lot of water. Most of us would
agree that Passports have these virtues:

-- Sails well, is pretty agile and maneuverable for its displacement.

-- Excellent engine access; easy engine R&R

-- Fundamentally very solid hull and deck construction.

-- Pretty easy to singlehand (I have the basic sloop rig, no inner
forestay, no fancy stuff).

-- Comfy and spacious to live aboard and cruise in, even for a guy who
stands 6' 6". Lots of nice teak joinery down below.

-- Spacious galley.

-- Lots of storage space (for me, anyway), including lots of less
obvious out-of-the-way places and the huge space (the "garage" or "man
cave") under the cockpit.

-- Pleasing to behold.

But as with any boat there are warts and nose hairs. The canonical list
(not every boat has every problem, but the tendencies across the entire
production run are clear):

-- Mild steel rudder cage and plate in the step at the foot of the mast.

-- Knees, some arguably of insufficient size and strength, some
compromised by long-term leaks through the chainplate openings.

-- Chain plates. The originals (and their bolts) were made of really
crappy steel, or at least mine were, and heated and bent into the
hockey-stick shape. Not good. Check them carefully for cracks and
crevice corrosion. Backstay chainplate is glassed into the transom.

-- Chainplate leaks.

-- Expanding ballast.

-- Hoses. The shipyard used exhaust hose for everything. Of course by
now the hoses probably should have been replaced with proper ones (e.g.,
sanitation hose for the head, etc) anyway.

-- Difficulty of installing holding tank Y valve.

-- Joinery creep (Michael M's phrase) and sticky floorboards. Annoying
but not the end of the world.

My boat's in San Carlos, Sonora, MX (Sea of Cortez, mainland side). If
that doesn't deter you, I could be induced into a conversation about it.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos