LINTIKA (P42 hull number 4) UPDATE

Justin Maguire

May 9, 2015, 10:23:40 PM5/9/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

well... my poor old lady has been sitting at her dock for 3 years while i was on foreign assignment.. but i'm back and we're going to through a significant update...

3 years ago I did everything below the floors... engine, fuel tanks, water tanks, drive shaft, prop, overhaul of steering pedestal, new batteries etc.

this time around...
- new stainless steel portals (newfound metals)
- replacement of laminate on interiror due to rippinng out old portals
- replacement of glass on 4 large windows and moving to a SS exterior portal ring vs. old varnished teak
- complete overhaul of all bowmar hatches
- Hurricane heating system
- new boom + vang + new traveller
- replacement of teak toe-rail (including new polished SS fairleads) with new teak + new genoa track
- replacement of rub rail
- complete overhaul and painting of the hull (hull to light off-white/eggshell and with chocolate sheer strake and waterline stripe
- move to all LED light interior
- new companionway hatch boards
- new delrin based track on the mast
- new harkin roller-furl
- all new latex cushions and covers below...
- installation of autohelm

she'lll be like new... we're just really kicking this off, so i'll return to this post over time to post pictures of the progress....

John Baudendistel

May 11, 2015, 11:52:55 AM5/11/15
to Justin Maguire, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin.  I own Dream Keeper '85 P42.  Curious as to why you had to peal the sheer stripe below the cap rail.   Was this due to moisture or some other reason.  Mine is due for re painting.  I have some crazing on the paint etc.  What year is yours?  Nice progress and lots of work on yours.  I'm currently in the process of my 10 coat cap rail refinish.

Thanks.    John

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Justin Maguire

May 11, 2015, 1:05:22 PM5/11/15
to John Baudendistel, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hey john,

The crazing is because there is a ton of gelcoat… This year streak is actually the bottom of the mold… So as they painted in the gelcoat at the beginning of the molding process it builds extra stick down there…

So simply painting over that without peeling off the gelcoat is the wrong way to go. You will end up very quickly with your new paint having crazing in it

The other reason is that I absolutely hate blue and white on a boat… :-)… So I'm having the boat painted an eggshell and the sheer strake painted a chocolate brown.

Make sense?

Cheers,
-Justin