Re: [Passport] Weather data

Bill Schmidt

May 12, 2015, 6:12:24 PM5/12/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
George, In our last trip to Canada, day sailing up and down the coast,
we relied solely on NOAA Weather on our computer(when we had wi-fi
connection in port) or cell phone. While in the past I must say that I
didn't find their forecasts very accurate, this time I honestly found
their forecasts very accurate. Ditto for the Canadian forecasts (but in
the past, they were better than NOAA). In Mexico (2005-2007), we used
the SSB. "Don" (now deceased) on the morning check in was legendary. I
don't know who has replaced him, but surely someone has. Donal Botkin
probably has the best perspective of Sat phone, or maybe Michael M. Hope
this helps
Billy Manana

On 5/12/2015 2:31 PM, George Louis wrote:
> I would be interested in what aids to weather the community uses. I have yet to decide on a service or plan. I own a Raymarine A and E series chartplotter. Also, how many of you have gone the SAT phone route and not just for weather.
>
> Thanks,
> George Louis
>
> s/v Wind Thief

bill.vcf

George Louis

May 12, 2015, 5:31:26 PM5/12/15
to Passport Group

Donal Botkin

May 12, 2015, 7:36:17 PM5/12/15
to George Louis, Passport Owners
Cruising the Pacific 1999-2005, I started out with an Iridium, but replaced with Inmarsat; both for weather info. Like Billy, I was not happy with the ‘forecasts’ and while in New Zealand bought a weather satellite receiver. This device is to ‘weather’ as a depth-sounder is to navigation. Both forecasts and charts being someone’s opinion rather than an actual observation. I also learned how to make my own forecasts based on the cloud-top-temperature data from the satellites and observations of local conditions. If you want to go that route, I can give you source material.

I hate to say, but my 10-year-old technology has been replaced by more reliable forecasts from government sources. Better satellite data on sea-surface and cloud top temperatures combined with radar-measurment of wave-height make the forecasts much better than when ship observations and weather balloons were the cutting edge.

Donal
View[+]Finder
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Michael Moradzadeh

May 12, 2015, 10:05:54 PM5/12/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Ten or fifteen years ago, we sure had a good laugh at the inaccuracy of
the forecasts. We'd use the SSB and download faxes, tending them to get
proper data.

Since then, the technology has improved immensely. Satellite feedback
on the forecasts has wildly improved the models, and the forecasts,
whether in GRIB or other format, are fairly reliable.

For the last several Pacific crossings, we have relied heavily on an
iridium phone and a data connection. Cost was not horrible, and the
stuff arrived in a very usable format. Yes, I still love my SSB, but
it's sadly becoming outmoded....

Michael
Cayenne P40#52
7x SF-HI, 1x transAtlantic

Ernie Reuter

May 14, 2015, 6:05:55 PM5/14/15
to Michael Moradzadeh, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
We use a couple of different sources on Iemanja. GRIB files which are easy to interpret with a bit of reading can be downloaded on our iPad or iphone using weathertracker app. Cost effective. If you have wifi..great if not use your phone as a personal hotspot.

When we are out of range, there are a number of freq's on SSB that give pretty accurate reports. This depends on where you are as to what channel to dial into. These are the most cost effective ways. You certainly can use iridium if you've got deep pockets.
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Ernie
S/V Iemanja
802-310-9710

Alcoop

May 15, 2015, 12:59:40 PM5/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
For weather both local (Gulf of the Farallons) and on two trips to Mexico and back I have used a combination of Buoy Weather and Passage Weather. Passage Weather, is free and  gives you an over view of windr, waves and pressures for a week over a fairly large area. It is essentially an interpretation of GRIB files I think. From this you can predict the pattern and get a good sense of what is coming. Buoy Weather is a subscription service and give local predictions, you pick the points and they give fairly accurate predictions but I doubt any prediction is going to accurately discriminate between 17 and 22k gusts. Buoy weather will email 7 day forecasts for several points that you set in advance. On a bash I used an Irridium sat phone to download email and this worked well and was not expensive. This combination was at least as good as Commanders Weather when used on the HaHa.
Allen
S/V Krissy

Ernie Reuter

May 15, 2015, 1:03:08 PM5/15/15
to Alcoop, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
My bad.....the app is weathertrack not weathertracker.
Ernie
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Chris - Pelican

May 21, 2015, 5:38:06 PM5/21/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
We used weather routers (primarily Chris Parker) for most of our passage forecasts. We also have Sirius satellite weather on our Raymarine chartplotter and LOVE it. It shows us storm intensities and lots of other info (wave heights, pressure systems, water temps, etc.), but more importantly (to us) it shows lightning strikes. We got it after too many NOAA forecasts called for 10-15kt winds in storms, and they turned out to be 30-40kt winds (and in one case 70kts). The more lightning strikes on the leading edge of a front, the higher the winds (usually). The Sirius solution has saved our butt more than once.

At the same time, knowing how to read GRIBs, fronts, pressure systems, clouds, etc. to come up with your own forecast is helpful... but the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing.

Chris

Jeff and Jane Woodward

Jun 28, 2015, 6:01:11 PM6/28/15
to Ernie Reuter, Alcoop, Passport List
We find Sailflow.com very useful.  We use it all the time in the Sea of Cortez, on the Mexican Riviera, and on the west coast of the US.  It takes a little time to learn all the features of the service.

Jeff
Adagio, P-40 #109, 1986
San Carlos, Mexico/Portland, OR

Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 13:03:06 -0400