P-37 vs P-40

Richard Rollins

Jan 15, 2015, 11:12:04 AM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
This is a great forum with much useful and detailed information...thanks to all who make it so! Few posts, however, seem to focus on experiences and projects with the P-37. I am looking at a P-37 tomorrow and I am curious about how the P-40 issues (such as chainplte knees, quadrant cage, oxidized and swollen balast, etc.) translate to the P-37. Or does the P-37 have its own set of issues that I should be looking at? If I get to the surve step I'll want a list of specific issues that I give to my surveyor to focus on.

Many thanks to those who can help me evaluate the P-37.
Richard

wjfastow

Jan 15, 2015, 1:27:46 PM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that the Passport 37 is a very similar boat to the Passport 40 but a lot fewer were made. I would expect the chain plate construction and soft Taiwanese steel issues to be as much an issue in the 37 as they are in the 40. These boats were built in the same yard at the same time alongside the 40. The 37 was not as commercially viable as the 40 because the cost of construction was roughly similar and most prospective buyers opted for the 40 because of the marginal price difference. If you are looking at an early 80's 37, I would suggest you also consider available 40's, the price difference still remains small and IMHO the 40's is vastly superior in both layout, versatility and desirability.

Will
Artax #146

Larry Rovin

Jan 15, 2015, 2:06:28 PM1/15/15
to wjfastow, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Year of construction is important.  The earlier boats seem to have more of the problems.  Whisper is a 1987 built at King Dragon and has not had the problems others have experienced.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Robert C. Young

Jan 15, 2015, 2:07:46 PM1/15/15
to Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I have had my P40 for about 15 years and never really heard much about the P37. Many of the people on this list have had their boats for a long time. As a result, if possible in the context of timing and budget etc., I would say bigger is better notwithstanding some of the issues you mention.

For a fee, Bob Perry offers input on yacht selection.

Richard Rollins

Jan 15, 2015, 4:42:00 PM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Will.  The P-37 that I will be seeing tomorrow is hull # 3 with a manufacture date of December 1985. The minor cost difference between the P-37 and the P-40 in the used boat market has not been lost on me. However, I'll be moving up from a 323 Pearson (32 feet) and a 40-footer may be more than I really want. I am attracted to the pullman berth/bow head arrangement, which can be found on both the 37 and 40...so perhaps I'll also consider the 40.

CAZ

Jan 15, 2015, 5:06:20 PM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Richard, for what it is worth, Bob Perry actually wrote in his Yacht Design book "The Passport 37 is clearly the little sister to the Passport 40 - and to my eye the more graceful and prettier boat."

Bill Caz.
P40, Beau Navire

William Fastow

Jan 15, 2015, 5:08:58 PM1/15/15
to Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Truthfully, if you are going from a Pearson 323 to a Passport, both the 37 and 40 are going to feel really heavy especially during docking under power. I would focus on getting the best maintained example over 37 or 40. Try and find something where the decks have been addressed. If it were me I would consider the 41 in Texas which can be had for probably under $150k.

William Fastow
COO
Physician Management Ltd.

Sent from my iPhone

Larry Rovin

Jan 15, 2015, 5:12:26 PM1/15/15
to William Fastow, Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Note that the 41 is the 40 with a reverse transom and taller mast.

Sent from my iPad

CAZ

Jan 15, 2015, 5:27:13 PM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
William,

My P40 is in a marina right next door to the P41. The boat looks to be in great shape and is fully equipped. The shallow, sugar scoop, transom is ideal for stepping off into a dingy.

Bill Caz.
P40, Beau Navire

Andreeff,Michael

Jan 15, 2015, 5:33:04 PM1/15/15
to CAZ, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
My P41  (1990)  is also for sale in Kemah/Houston.  If interested, please  see video and photos  at YachtWorld site.  She is 1990 but fully updated. asking $169,000.
The second P41 is 2000 and 100 grand more.

Michael

s/v TE ARAWA

OK, It is yours that I have seen (only the outside) over at the Broker dock. What a beautiful vessel. Hope the next owner really appreciates what he has. Not even a contest when compared to newer production boats of comparable size.

Bill Caz.
P40, Beau Navire
Austin, TX.

Jim Melton

Jan 15, 2015, 6:48:39 PM1/15/15
to Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

To the best of my knowledge, there were only 29 P37s built. Of those
29, I have been able to gather information about only 9 of
them. Sadly, there's likely to be a limited set of owners who will
be able to assist you.

However: I am the keeper of the Passport (37, 40, 41, 42, 47)
database. If you are able to do so, I'd appreciate knowing the name
and hull ID of the boat you are considering. If it's a boat already
in my database, I can update the information. If it's not already in
my database, then I can add it!

Thanks, and best wishes,
Jim
HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message. **
Jim Melton SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive
Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
http://SheltieRescueUT.org
Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time
Support Sheltie Rescue and indulge yourself, too:
http://SheltieRescueMall.com
Read and comment in our blog:
http://SheltieTales.com

William Fastow

Jan 15, 2015, 7:31:17 PM1/15/15
to Larry Rovin, Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Sorry boys. I already own a P40. At the time I was looking people were simply asking too much for the available examples of the 41. I couldn't wait forever so opted for a late P40. I miss the bigger rig but much prefer the teak toe rail.

The lower price helped too...

Will

William Fastow
COO
Physician Management Ltd.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Rollins

Jan 15, 2015, 8:30:03 PM1/15/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com, rroll...@gmail.com
Jim,

I am happy to help as I can. The P-37 that has my attention is currently berthed in Vallejo, CA.
Name: Seascape
HIN: PYK37 003 1285 (from a 2011 survey that the broker sent to me).
The boat is listed on Yachtworld and the description states: "This example is Hull No. 3 sold new on SF Bay and has spent her life here. Her current owner bought her in 2007, adding much new equipment. The boat is a Mexico veteran (trucked back), and shows very well."

Best regards,
Richard

John Baudendistel

Jan 16, 2015, 2:19:17 AM1/16/15
to CAZ, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Caz,

Considering the difference between a 37, 40, or 41 in a boat built in 1980's. Is nearly mute from a handling sailing point.  Even a 42.  I would recommend buying the Passport which is in the best condition which has been cared for, maintained, and is still being sailed.  We bought our P42 as our first larger sailboat and it turned out it came with a group of folks whom have become lifetime closest friends.  Cheers!

John
p 42
Dream Keeper

John Baudendistel

John Baudendistel

Jan 16, 2015, 2:21:43 AM1/16/15
to William Fastow, Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
The reverse cut transom is a nice feature certainly.  Also what is your intended purpose for the boat?

John

John Baudendistel

Richard Rollins

Jan 16, 2015, 10:45:31 AM1/16/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
If we were to limit our sailing to SF Bay we'd probably just keep the Pearson 323. But the P-37 (or similar) opens possibilities including Mexico and the Pacific NW. I have long thought that exploration by boat up the inside passage to Alaska could keep me happy for several summers. But these are just possibilities; the actual plan is less clear.

Bill Schmidt

Jan 16, 2015, 12:43:36 PM1/16/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

I have now owned Wind Witch, P40, for 32 years and am one of the very
few OO's (original owners) still sailing. Wind Witch has over 100K miles
on the knot log and over the years has suffered each and every
affliction known for P40s. We have been up and down the Pacific coast
from Puerto Vallarta to Port Hardy so many times that the memories are
literally all blurred together.Just came down again from Desolation
Sound again in September last.
Opinion: you will never live long enough to get unhappy or bored with
the Pacific Northwest. Get the damn boat and go!
Regarding the move up from a Pearson: We moved up from a Pearson
30. The Passport was never too big a jump. With all due respect to the
naysayers, we have never had any complaints about the handling of the
P40. I have known about Seascape from the beginning. I disagree with BP
about the relative beauty of the 37 vs, the 40, but really, over the
years there is little of BP's declarations that I have ever found
valuable. At this point, I completely agree with the opinion that THE
most important point is how the individual boat has been maintained and
treated. Seascape has been a very lightly used boat and certainly has
been carefully maintained and upgraded. As the original founder and
first president of the Passport Owners Association, I have pretty well
followed the lives of all the boats as they come and go on the Passport
forums. For all the things that have occurred with the P40,42,47 & 51, I
have not heard word one about any problems with the P37. Is this because
there are so few? Are they underused? Better built? Who the hell knows.
Passports are cruising boats, not racers. As such they acquire a lot of
creature comforts. The one limit is how much room there is for such
comforts.In that regard, bigger is better. If you are going down to
Mexico, think about where you can place the air conditioner,,,,before
you choose the boat!
Such are my humble opinions.
Billy Manana
bill.vcf

Jim Melton

Jan 16, 2015, 4:29:35 PM1/16/15
to Richard Rollins, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, rroll...@gmail.com
Richard,

Many thanks for this very helpful information!

Jim

At 2015-01-15 18:30, Richard Rollins wrote:
Jim,

I am happy to help as I can. The P-37 that has my attention is currently berthed in Vallejo, CA.
Name: Seascape
HIN: PYK37 003 1285 (from a 2011 survey that the broker sent to me).
The boat is listed on Yachtworld and the description states: "This example is Hull No. 3 sold new on SF Bay and has spent her life here. Her current owner bought her in 2007, adding much new equipment. The boat is a Mexico veteran (trucked back), and shows very well."

Best regards,
Richard

================
Jim Melton & Barbara Edelberg
"Dream SeQueL"
1982 Passport 40, hull# 18
http://DreamSeQueL.com
"BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand"

Alcoop

Jan 17, 2015, 11:46:09 AM1/17/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I took an Ericsson 35 to Mexico and had fun but was happy to get back to life no land after each time we were aboard for more then a few weeks. Took a passport 40 to Mexico and was sad when we moved back on land after a year on board. Huge difference in comfort level between 35 and 40 feet.
S/V Krissy

Dennis Downing

Jan 17, 2015, 12:56:01 PM1/17/15
to Alcoop, Passport List
Hi folks
Please pass on to people interested in a p40 that I am selling mine for only $45k because of an illness.  She was out in the bay sailing over 100 days this last year...she just needs cosmetic care
Dennis   she is on yacht world...Panacea

louis raphael

Jan 17, 2015, 1:10:20 PM1/17/15
to Passport List
We are also selling Buttermilk, our Passport 43.  She is listed on Yachtworld.
Note the boom furling main and low engine hours.
Louis Raphael

CAZ

Jan 19, 2015, 3:51:55 PM1/19/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,

I have a friend who has a list of questions about your boat. Would you send me an address so I could have him contact you off line?

thanks,
Bill Caz.
P40, Beau Navire

Lou

Jan 23, 2015, 12:31:57 PM1/23/15
to wjfastow, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Richard,

I have a 37 and can confirm that the problems you mentioned are also problems with the 37.  I have not had problems with the ballast yet and have not looked at the chainplate knees, but suspect these could also be an issue.  I am happy with my 37.  There are moments when I look at storage that I wonder if the 40 might be better.  I believe there are only 24 hulls of the 37 that were made and when I was looking at my boat to purchase it, it made it highly desirable in the market or so I was told.  As you are aware, tthe cost of maintaining those extra 3 feet increase your over all costs.  I have not compared the differences, but bigger sails and rig can lead to larger fasteners, wire, etc.  Also you will be paying additional for slip fees depending on the marina where you would moor her.  So as always it comes down to what you intend to do and how many crew you will have.  I think both are very fine boats and if this is the type of boat you are looking at, you will be pleased.  Best of luck with your search.

Lou Smieja
s/v Nortia
moored in Poulsbo, WA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android