Raw Water Vented Loop Location

Kevin

Dec 14, 2017, 7:56:48 AM12/14/17
to Passport Owners

The vented loop anti siphon valve on our 1983 P40 engine's (Nanni) raw water system is in a small cabinet on the starboard side of the galley.  I believe that it was installed there by PO to get it above water level on any angle of heel.  I need to relocate it, but a better location isn’t obvious.  Where do others have the vented loop on their boats?

Thanks,

Kevin Muilman

S/V Casi Cielo

Rob Raymond

Dec 14, 2017, 10:23:29 AM12/14/17
to Kevin, Passport Owners
Same place. I believe that is the stock location.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Bill Schmidt

Dec 14, 2017, 11:28:06 AM12/14/17
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

You are right. There is no better location. I'm surprised the old one is still working, You can move it into the galley locker up to the starboard of the sink. Use a Forespar vented loop.. The bleed valve needs access for periodic cleaning as it accumulates salt crusting. Most people who don't service it, ignore it at their own peril. You find out about it when the exhaust pipe back-siphons into the engine and ruins it.

Billy Manana

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
bill.vcf

Kevin

Dec 20, 2017, 1:37:05 PM12/20/17
to Passport Owners

FWIW…  I took Billy’s recommendation and moved the loop into the cabinet under the sink, as far to starboard and as high as possible.  The access isn’t as good the previous location, but I can still get to it to check the valve.  Now the locker where the vented loop used to live houses a Balmar ARS-5 voltage regulator, all safe and dry.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Kevin Muilman

S/V Casi Cielo

1983 P40