chainplates, bad knees, and years

captainmarko

Mar 20, 2017, 3:36:46 PM3/20/17
to Passport Owners
Greetings one and all!

FNG. Wannabe P40 owner. Dreamer.

I have a question regarding the chainplates/rotten knees issue.

I've seen it mentioned that the "later years" they modified the design and that this problem went away. But I can't seem to find any corresponding hard data to corroborate.

So.....

1. Is that the case?

2. If so, what year was the design changed?

3. Has it proved worthy?

I'm in no hurry to buy/leave. But I am starting the whole process by doing my due diligence, saving money, etc. And this is part of the whole process.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!

John Baudendistel

Mar 20, 2017, 4:22:56 PM3/20/17
to captainmarko, Passport Owners
Hi there.  By this point in time many 40's have had the knees upgraded and chain plates replaced.  Might be better to shop for the one which has been done. As they were all custom built there would not likely be some specific Year of a mfg change on the knees.

Could also shop for a P 42 or 47. Fewer to choose from as built qty was lesser.

Thanks
John

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

CAZ

Mar 20, 2017, 4:59:59 PM3/20/17
to Passport Owners
Captainmarko,

Be aware that the Stan Huntingford designed Passport 42 is way different from the P40s. It has chain plates imbedded into the hull fiberglass. It is a major surgical operation to change out those plates.
Captain Bill Caz.
1984 P40, Beau Navire

captainmarko

Mar 20, 2017, 6:14:46 PM3/20/17
to Passport Owners
Captain Bill,

I was aware of that, but thanks for the reinforcement. It's the Bob Perry design for which I lust.

Beller Family

Mar 20, 2017, 8:55:55 PM3/20/17
to passpor...@googlegroups.com
Captainmarko:

For what it worth, we have a 1982 P40, hull #14, and it has never had the problem.  It has five trips to Mexico and back, one trip through the south Pacific to Tonga and then back via Hawaii, and 20+ years of cruising in lots of weather in the Channel Islands here in SoCal. I'd guess about 50,000 sea miles.

I have also expended a lot of effort to eliminate the chainplate leaks that plagued us for a long time.  Good and dry now for the last three years using many of the tips from this forum.

Good luck,
Jeff Beller
S/V Journey
Ventura, CA

captainmarko owenm...@gmail.com via googlegroups.com

12:33 PM (5 hours ago)
to Passport
Greetings one and all!

FNG. Wannabe P40 owner. Dreamer.

I have a question regarding the chainplates/rotten knees issue.

I've seen it mentioned that the "later years" they modified the design and that this problem went away. But I can't seem to find any corresponding hard data to corroborate.

So.....

1. Is that the case?

2. If so, what year was the design changed?

3. Has it proved worthy?

I'm in no hurry to buy/leave. But I am starting the whole process by doing my due diligence, saving money, etc. And this is part of the whole process.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ben Nicol

Apr 5, 2017, 9:58:09 PM4/5/17
to Passport Owners
We are going through the process of replacing the plates and repairing rotten wood from water ingress at the moment. It appears that our P40 built in 1988 has the longer more structurally sound knees for the intermediate's. I don't know when they changed over to this design.

Check the blog here for a photo / video that shows the process.

http://bandksailaway.com/preparing-for-chainplate-replacement/

We have had two shipwrights and a rigger check the knees and the consensus is that they are still very much in good working order. The chain plates unfortunately were not.

Guilherme Salgado

Nov 19, 2022, 7:22:14 PM11/19/22
to Passport Owners
Hi Ben,

I'm just starting that process on my '90 Passport 41 and I believe your blog post and photos/videos could be a great help. Do you have them available anywhere else? The site above is no longer accessible.

Best regards

Jonathan Lee

Nov 20, 2022, 12:52:29 PM11/20/22
to Passport Owners
Electropolishing is the best finish.  Most send out to one of three large operations, Texas, Chicago, Fall River.  I chose Fall River, MA, Luke at neelectropolishing.com

Jonathan Lee

Nov 20, 2022, 12:52:30 PM11/20/22
to Passport Owners
AD2A7BD0-C4EC-428D-9899-E0B85E1A0B59.jpeg85” P37 #4, consulted R Perry drawings for chainplates.  Actual in boat were different.  8mm thick (5/16”), waterjetted new ones as shown in attached picture, increased to 3/8” thickness for economy land strength, 316L. See Zach @ wcwaterjet.com.   Backstay is embedded in hull below deck, only 3 bolts, 38 degree bend ~3” below end (under toenail).