Merriman - Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal cable / chain replacement

Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent

Aug 1, 2016, 5:46:39 PM8/1/16
to Passport Owners

I received the following email back from Edson about purchasing new chain/cable for the Merriman Pedestal many of us have.

Has anyone previously purchased this item from Edson?

Did it fit?

Dean Jones - Local Talent - P40-112

Good Morning Dean,

Thank you for your inquiry. The information in our files  is as follows:

[if !supportLists]1)      [endif]#77111 (#774-2S2B9) - $283.00 US – Includes chain & wire plus tensioning hardware for the connection to the radial drive wheel all in stainless.

The above is what we provided for the Passport 40 and may or may not be consistent with Merriman.

We strongly recommend that you change the chain & wire if you believe what you have is original. Save the old one for the spare.

Sincerely,

Ken Martin
Customer Service

Edson International
Tel 508-995-9711
Fax 508-995-5021
Email:
 k...@edsonintl.com

www.edsonmarine.com

Greetings,

Our Passport 40 website says Edson will make up a replacement chain and wire for a 1986 Merriman Pedestal?  My problem is the boat is currently in New Zealand.  The steering system currently works, but I sail the South Pacific and would like to have a spare.

In your records, have you made them for a Passport 40 Merriman system?

Can you match one of your previous orders for this “No longer manufactured Merriman?”  I can’t believe Merriman made a variety of chain/cable sizes?  So I hope you have a match in your records?

Many Thanks for your help on this.

Best,

Dean Jones

dean...@gmail.com

SV - "Local Talent"

Jim Henerberry

Aug 2, 2016, 8:05:44 PM8/2/16
to Passport Owners
Dean,
I replaced my chain and wire with the Edson parts last year while "rebuilding" the pedestal reinforcement.  The plywood had rotted and the original guide blocks and steel plate were badly rusted.

The Edson parts fit well, and although I'm not sure of the specific part number, Edson advised me properly.  I would trust them.

Jim
Lottie B, P 40, #123

George Louis

Aug 2, 2016, 8:57:59 PM8/2/16
to Jim Henerberry, Passport Owners
I replaced mine some time ago and replaced the binnacle while I was at it.

George L., P.40 #90

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jim Melton

Aug 13, 2016, 7:35:57 PM8/13/16
to Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent, Passport Owners

Dean,

A few years ago (five?), I had a yard do some significant work on my P40, Dream SeQueL; some of that work involved replacing my badly corroded quadrant and adding a tiller arm for use by a new below-decks autopilot.

In the process, the yard decided that my chain/wire rope setup should also be replaced.

A few weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to have a spare steering setup on board in case of a steering failure offshore, so I phoned the yard and asked them what they had purchased when they did the replacement.  Their answer was "Edson part# 77111".  I phoned Edson and talked to them about it and their answer was also "part# 77111".  The dimensions of the chain and wire rope (and associated hardware) in part# 77111 was consistent with my best efforts at measuring my current steering setup.

Thus, I ordered one part# 77111 from Edson and now have it stashed away in my spares.  I have NOT installed it, so I cannot guarantee that it will fit properly, but I'm extremely confident.

Hope this helps,
   Jim

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
  Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 and W3C XML Query WG    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Alternate email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA  Personal email: SheltieJim at xmission dot com
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =