Re-rig and Refurbish P42 mast, boom and standing rigging.

John Baudendistel

Nov 13, 2017, 6:39:02 PM11/13/17
to POA Bay Area, Passport Owners
Hi there fellow Passporters.  I'm working on re-furbishing my standing rigging on Dream Keeper.  The mast is currently pulled.  A few questions:

1.  304 or 316 wire?
2.  Anyone know the wire size off hand on a P42.  I'm not at the boat.
3.  Has anyone been able to purchase new spreaders for their boat.  My spreader tips are quite worn.  It is likely replace or refurbish.
4.  Any spreader fabricator recommendations?

Yes I'm going to go with the original size wire and rigging type.  Not a rod-rigging fan.  I'm checking with Forespar for replacement spreaders.

Currently the mast is pulled and undergoing refurbishment.  As is the boom, spreaders and everything in between.  Lots to do.

By the way Metal Magic, Oakland, CA is retiring after some 39 years!

Thanks,

John Baudendistel

Matthew Davidson

Nov 14, 2017, 11:37:16 AM11/14/17
to Passport Owners
1) For sure 316SS
2) For our P40 we have 5/16" for the shrouds. I think the aft and fore-stays may be 3/8"
Matthew on SV Wildflower

Kenyon Stewart

Nov 14, 2017, 11:57:12 AM11/14/17
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
On the 47, it's 7/16 for all the uppers and 3/8 for the lowers and intermediates.

I think your mast section is the same as mine.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

psherwood

Nov 14, 2017, 12:11:54 PM11/14/17
to Passport Owners
Agree, for sure 316.

Same on my P40: 5/16" shrouds and 3/8" fore and back stays. Consider
going a size larger on the turnbuckles and related hardware.

Do you need to replace the spreaders, or just the tips (and, probably,
the boots)? See http://www.rigrite.com/Spars for ideas.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Seattle / San Carlos
> jo...@ets247.com <javascript:>
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

ga...@sailsidetrack.com

Nov 14, 2017, 12:28:20 PM11/14/17
to John Baudendistel, POA Bay Area, Passport Owners
Hi John,

We rebuilt our mast and boom and repainted it when we got our boat to Olympia.  I considered giving it new rigging, but decided to hold off because we could not find any problems with it (broken strands or cracked fittings).  I can, however see some surface rust buried in the lay of the wires.  I believe it is the original rigging and I am told if I ever want to go offshore, my insurance company will require re-rigging.

304 is stronger than 316, and I think it has more stretch, so I think we would have gone with 304.  Otherwise we would have had to reevaluate the wire diameter.  My forestay and backstay are 3/8” dia and all others are 5/16”.  A rigger here told me that one technique to treat new rigging is to melt candle wax into the swage fittings.  I didn’t want to do it with my old rigging for fear of locking in some moisture.

My spreaders have an shaped aluminum plug in the tips.  Yours too?  Maybe you would only need the tips.

Gary Wilson
P42 Sidetrack
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

John Baudendistel

Nov 14, 2017, 12:29:12 PM11/14/17
to Kenyon Stewart, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Fellow Passporters:

Thanks everyone for you replies.  I'm going to get out the calipers and measure.  Looks like Svendsen's is going to do the re-rig.  Thanks for all the pointers.  I'm not expecting to do this again in my lifetime certainly. (pulling the mast that is.). Radar is on the stern for those whom do not know.

A few changes I'm making:
1. Adding new led steaming and foredeck light.   I have a tri color up top already.
2. New Vesper VHF/AIS antenna combo.  This is fairly new.  It receives both bands well.
3. Moving out the lazy jacks out 12" away from the mast on the lower spreader.
4. Add spreader deck down lights.
5. Materhorn White for the color.
6. Going with Garhauer sheaves up on the top of the mast 4 of them.  Two fwd. Two Aft. These have bearings vs just a plastic wheel.
7. Likely toss in a spare main halyard off of the open aft sheave.
8. Using all Aluminum rivits where applicable with Aluminum mandrels from Fastenall.  (Some of the originals had steel mandrels.  Which were still stuck in the aluminum rivets.)
9. Likely going to go with Tides Marine Strong Track and cars.  I've seen a lot of good info on these.  Currently I have to pull down the main sail with regular slides.

Questions:

1.  For bedding SS to aluminum.  Lanicote (Forespar uses this.)  Or silicone?  What is your experience with each trying to take it apart 5-10 years later?
2.  Looking for spreader down LED lights which work and you like?  Prefer to point one forward and the other aft.  Mounted to the bottom of the spreaders.

Are there any other items one might add while this mast is on saw horses?

Thanks for the pointers.

John B.
Dream Keeper
P42

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 3:39:02 PM UTC-8, john wrote:
[...]

psherwood

Nov 14, 2017, 12:51:40 PM11/14/17
to Passport Owners
Tef-gel (teflon paste) is especially good for isolating dissimilar
metals and preventing galvanic corrosion. Use it generously even though
it's expensive.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
> <mat...@anteccorporation.com <mailto:mat...@anteccorporation.com>>
> <mailto:Passpor...@googlegroups.com>
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> For more options, go to
> http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en>
> ---
> Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> it, send an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com <mailto:Passpor...@googlegroups.com>
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> ---
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> send an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Thanks,
>
> John Baudendistel
> jo...@ets247.com <mailto:jo...@ets247.com>
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.

ga...@sailsidetrack.com

Nov 14, 2017, 12:56:46 PM11/14/17
to John Baudendistel, Kenyon Stewart, Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
We used Tefgel on fasteners that we thought we may need to remove at some time.  It is a little stickier than Lanocote.  For things that I knew we would never remove, I cleaned the holes out well to remove thread cutting oil and used white silicone.  So far, after about 10 years, I am not seeing any corrosion bubbles in the new paint surrounding the fasteners.  I had no trouble removing the one fitting with Tefgel that I needed to remove.

I wish we had Strongtrack.....it’s on my wishlist.   We recently got a Doyle boom cradle and it would work much better.  It would also work much better if our lazy jacks went up to upper spreaders.  Currently ours go to just below the lower spreaders and our sail gets hung up on the lazy jacks, even into a pretty good headwind (ours is not full battened).

Gary Wilson
P42 Sidetrack

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:29 AM
Subject: [Passport] Re-rig and Refurbish P42 mast, boom and standing rigging.