Cockpit Enclosure for Passport 40

rmccullough56

Apr 5, 2009, 9:43:26 PM4/5/09
to Passport Owners
Have any Passport 40 owners installed an cockpit enclosure? We
are looking to do this to ours and I am curious how you worked around
the cowel vents at the stern. We have (2), one for the blower exhaust
from the engine and one for the "garage".

Bob McCullough
S/V High Heeled
Hull #72

Craig Newton

Apr 6, 2009, 1:30:51 AM4/6/09
to rmccullough56, Passport Owners

My enclosure passes inside the two cowl vents.

Craig Newton

s/v Mujo

P40/111

Crit

Apr 10, 2009, 5:35:33 PM4/10/09
to Passport Owners
Bob, I have total enclosure on my Passport 40. I call it the add-a -
room. It goes all the way to the stern rails and all the way out to
the rails on the sides with two doors. It is a blessing in the rainy
winter and it is also good on the Bay when it is very cold. I think
one could easily just make an apening for the air to circulate where
the cowl vents are. I have a wind vane, a barbaque, 2 engins, a life
sling and a U and it works out fine. Let me know if you are
interested in pictures. Crit Dowler

Ben Nicol

Feb 27, 2017, 10:06:02 PM2/27/17
to Passport Owners
Hi Crit,

I know this is a very old thread, however I would be interested in seeing some of the photos of the full enclosure if you have them.

Thanks in advance

John Baudendistel

Feb 28, 2017, 12:30:04 PM2/28/17
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners, Eva Tanner
Ben,

Check in with Eva on Bellavia also.  She has solved this one on a 40 also.  Including both Strataglass winter enclosure and a screen summer set up.  It is similar to ours on our P42.   In design anyway.

John

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Thanks,

John Baudendistel

Jeff and Jane Woodward

Feb 28, 2017, 3:14:37 PM2/28/17
to Ben Nicol, Passport Owners

Hi Ben,

Here are some pictures of Adagio's canvas.  As you see our dodger is tan while the rest of the enclosure is green. We started out all green when we were in the Pacific Northwest.  Down here in Mexico darker colors are too hot, so as things wear out we are transitioning to light tan.

Our system consists of dodger, bimini, weather cloth, side doors, transition between dodger and bimini, and back.

The dodger is pretty generic.  The front windows zip open for ventilation.  And we have Phifertex panels that can zip  into the front window hole when we want some protection from the sun's UV rays.  Sorry, but I don't have pictures of the Phifertex.

Our weather cloth goes from the middle rail of the pushpit to the deck.  The top wraps over the middle rail and is secured with twist snaps.  The bottom has snaps on the inside of the cap rail.  When the surround is no longer needed the weather cloth stays up.  It gives us protection during passages and some privacy in the cockpit.  We are glad the weather cloth does not go to the top rail.  The half height is cooler in hot climates and gives the cockpit a more open feel.

The bimini is also pretty generic.  It lives under the  solar panels and stays up all the time.  It has zippers on all sides that anchor the top of all the other sections of the surround.

The transition piece between the dodger and bimini is in three sections.  The center panel just clears the end of the boom .

The doors zip to the bimini at the top, the back section on one side and the dodger on the other side.  We have both closed sides for cooler and wetter weather, and Phifertex sides for hot weather.  Sorry no pictures of the Phifertex.

The back is also in three sections.  The top zips to the bimini.  The sides zip to the doors and to the other back panels.  The bottom of the back panels have twist snaps that connect to the weather cloth.  We also have a Phifertex back.

All the windows have Sunbrella covers that snap in place to protect from UV, dirt and scratches.

When it is cold outside, but the sun is even a little bit out, the surround will warm the cockpit and to some extent the boat with greenhouse effect.  With the window covers in place you gain some additional protection from theft.  The cockpit stays cleaner and dryer and you reduce the amount of salt and grit that gets tracked into the cabin.

Having so many sections to keep track of is kind of a pain, but at the same time it is really nice to be able add and subtract panels as conditions change.

We hope this is helpful.

Jeff and Jane
Adagio, P-40 #109, 1986
La Cruz, Nayarit, Mexico

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
SAM_7829.JPG
SAM_7830.JPG
SAM_7832.JPG
SAM_7833.JPG
SAM_7837.JPG
SAM_7871.JPG

Daniel Leach

Feb 28, 2017, 11:57:02 PM2/28/17
to Passport Owners, rmccul...@optonline.net
If you're on the West Coast I can highly recommend Iversons in Olympia, WA.  They did the full enclosure for our P40 and I could not be more pleased.

Dan Leach
Endless Song

Anacortes, WA

John Baudendistel

Mar 1, 2017, 12:25:46 AM3/1/17
to Daniel Leach, Passport Owners, rmccul...@optonline.net
They certainly do.  Barry had them do his P42.  With the desirable canoe stern.  A full enclosure was done.  They did a fabulous job! Right here in the SF Bay.  They have a rep I believe whom does all the set up and measuring here locally.

Thanks
John Baudendistel

Ben Nicol

Apr 6, 2017, 10:59:03 PM4/6/17
to Passport Owners
Thanks everyone for the photos and descriptions. This is such a great resource for us, much appreciated.

We have been playing about with raising the height of the dodger (see high quality Photoshop :) ) and are trying to raise it enough to make decent head room but also low enough to enable us to easily see over it. At the moment it is very easy to see over but useless to see through or sit under as it is just too low. We are thinking that we will get the Bimini and Dodger made professionally and will look to make the enclosure clears ourselves. We will also be making a second set of enclosure panels out of mosquito mesh / flyscreen as our plans are to spend a lot of time in Papua New Guinea and Indonesia and most of the anchorages are quite close to land and up rivers etc.

We might bite the bullet and get the whole thing done professionally but we are weary about the amount of cruising kitty it will absorb. On another note, is interesting to see how much the quotes are varying for each of the trimmers in Sydney some quotes are 3x others.

I will come back to this thread with where we ended up.
Dodger Photo.png
Original Dodger Photo.png