Working Jib

svlad...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 4:06:23 PM2/16/18
to Passport Owners
I have a 130 and a 110 jib for Lady Cybil my Passport 40.

I need a head sail for upwind sailing in 18-23 kts true wind.

Considering a 90% jib.

Would like to hear what sails others are using.

Dick
sv Lady Cybil

Bill Schmidt

Feb 16, 2018, 4:35:55 PM2/16/18
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Wind Witch has a 150%, !30%, 110% and an 85%  headsails. The 110% is the
sail used most in SF Bay summer winds. But the 85% sail is really nice
for times - and the loss of speed, etc. is small.

Billy Manana
bill.vcf

Michael Moradzadeh

Feb 16, 2018, 4:58:16 PM2/16/18
to Bill Schmidt, Passport Owners
Upwind in 18-23 can be some rugged sailing.  85-90 percent with a reefed main can give you a lot of controllable speed.

You can actually point pretty well with just the main, and no headsail.  Maybe give that a try, but that smaller headsail is an inexpensive way to have a manageable sail plan.  You might follow the offshore racers' rule of having some grommets in the luff to be able to lash the sail to the headstay in case the wind is so strong that it blows the sail out of the track (and ruins it)

Michael

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jon Ash

Feb 16, 2018, 5:35:24 PM2/16/18
to Michael Moradzadeh, Bill Schmidt, Passport Owners
Ahoy Dick. Jon ash from ri here I trust all is well with you. For that upwind sailing I use my working staysail and two reefs in the main. If the wind was getting up I might run the trysail on its own track but so far haven't done that. Where you going in that wind?
Jon
Caribbean Soul. P40
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com.

svlad...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2018, 8:44:29 AM2/17/18
to Passport Owners
HI Jon, Still in the Windwards. Martinique at the moment Winds are quite strong at the moment. 20-25 kts in the harbor.At times 25-30.

Out in the passages 45 kts.

How is Warwick?

svlad...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2018, 8:45:01 AM2/17/18
to Passport Owners
THanks the info. What is the wind range for the 85% ? Close hauled.