Max prop versus original

Ernie Reuter

Jul 8, 2016, 12:11:29 PM7/8/16
to Kevin, Passport Owners
Hi all.. We are having some issues with getting our max prop to fold properly after the grease has worn out and the barnacles have set in. It was installed by the po.  I have the original prop that i could put back on at this time which would save a bunch of headaches. Didnt want to do this before i checked in with you all to see what difference if any there would be in performance. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Ernie on SV Iemanja

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015, Kevin <casic...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am replacing the aft chain plate on my ’83 Passport 40 (#45) and have a few questions from the folks out there who have some experience with the same project.  First, some background:

The aft chain plate is a single, stainless steel bar with a slight bend at the top where it goes through the toe rail.  Below decks it bolts through the stern in three places.  There is a glassed in reinforcement on the inside of the stern running vertically through which the chain plate is bolted.

I realized that there was a problem when the rust stains started appearing on the stern from around the bolt heads.  Then on the inside of the stern.  The one of the bolts became loose enough to spin by hand.  Not pretty.

The nuts had to be cut off.  We cut out a piece of the glass over the reinforcement and water (black) drained out.  Inside were the remainders of wood.  See attached pic.  Yes, someone had glasses a piece of wood, about 4” x 18” x ¼” onto the inside of the stern and bolted the chain plate through it.  I can find no other supports for the chain plate in the stern.

So that brings me to today.  I’ll remove the rest of the glass and wood on the inside of the stern.  Then I need to decide how to put it back together.  My first though is to have a “T” of stainless made to fit onto the inside of the stern, the vertical part of the “T” running vertically in the center of the stern, and glass is in.  Bolt the chain plate through the “T”.

Anyone dealt with a similar problem and come up with an elegant solution?

Thanks,

Kevin Muilman

Casi Cielo

1983 P40

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jim Melton

Jul 8, 2016, 12:23:03 PM7/8/16
to Ernie Reuter, Kevin, Passport Owners

Ernie,

I'm sorry that I am unable to help you directly with your problem.

However, if you decide that you want to put the original prop back on, I might be interested in buying the MaxProp from you.

Fair winds,
   Jim

HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted  **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message.     **
Jim Melton           SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive, Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Assistant Director, National Sheltie Rescue Network
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
  http://SheltieRescueUT.org
  Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time

View[+]Finder

Jul 8, 2016, 12:57:58 PM7/8/16
to Ernie Reuter, Passport Owners
Hi Ernie,
ViewFinder has a MaxProp and over 20k miles at sea, with much motor sailing. The folding prop (if folded, duh) cuts drag when under sail in moderate wind and adds about half a knot (Source: boat PHRF ratings, rumor, speculation, memory of MaxProp claims), however the fixed prop will give you that half-knot at the top end when under power or motor-sailing. Plus, the fixed prop is more reliable in the 1% of conditions when really needed. That said, I never had a problem that the MaxProp couldn’t handle.

The simple answer is “don’t let the grease run out; scrape of the barnacles.” I added a zirk fitting to allow grease to be added without taking the prop apart and used a putty knife to get the varmints off the prop when at anchor in a harbor.

Uhh, you do know to put the prop in reverse (with the engine off) to get it to flatten out, right?

Donal

View[+]Finder

Donal B. Botkin
1 Peninsula Road, Gate B
Belvedere, CA  94920

Bob Peahl

Jul 8, 2016, 5:48:08 PM7/8/16
to Ernie Reuter, Kevin, Passport Owners
We love our Max Prop.  Consider sending it to the manufacturer to recondition.  We did that a few years ago.  Noticeable improvement with feathering.

Can't imagine going back to the fixed prop.

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40/70

Sent from my iPhone