Barlow & Barient winch Service manuals

jpwither

Sep 18, 2010, 7:43:27 AM9/18/10
to Passport Association
Is anyone able to help with service manual/spare parts list for a Barlow 19, and Barient 24-45 self tailing winches.  I have looked all over the net and am unable to find anything that helps.  I have tried Arco the Australian agents for both but they do not respond to e.mail and they have some negative comments re this on the net as well.

regards

John Wither
Perth
Australia

John Warren

Sep 18, 2010, 8:55:24 AM9/18/10
to jpwither, Passport Association
John...I have four or five Barient manuals for different size winches on my
boat in Mexico. All the winches on my boat are Barient with exception of
one and still have all the original manuals. I believe the Barient winch
sizes you describe are the ones that I have plus winches that are larger.
However, my boat is in Mexico and I'm in Oregon and don't plan to go back to
Mexico until early November. If you can wait until then, I will be more
than happy to scan the ones that apply to you and e-mail the engineering
drawings of the winches.

John Warren
Warren Peace P47

--
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to

Phil Sherwood

Sep 20, 2010, 11:36:47 AM9/20/10
to jpwither, Passport Association
I have various docs, mostly .jpgs but one .pdf, for Barient 17, 21,
22, 23, and 28, and one called Barlow-Barient Winch Service Info -
Multiple Models. Most of the others are IPBs (illustrated parts
breakouts or "exploded views"), and a couple for the 2-speed 21s and
23s. If any of those interest you, let me know and I can email them to you.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
Bahia de Caraquez

John Baudendistel

Sep 20, 2010, 11:41:39 AM9/20/10
to Phil Sherwood, jpwither, Passport Association
Please include me in the email for the manuals.

Thanks John Baudendistel P42 Dream Keeper.

Doug Burkhardt

Sep 20, 2010, 11:53:00 AM9/20/10
to John Baudendistel, passpor...@googlegroups.com, Phil Sherwood, jpwither
I would like to be included as well. Thanks!
From: John Baudendistel <jo...@ets247.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:41:39 -0700
To: Phil Sherwood<p...@witanco.com>
Cc: jpwither<jpwi...@bigpond.com>; Passport Association<Passpor...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Passport] Barlow & Barient winch Service manuals

Phil Sherwood

Sep 20, 2010, 2:28:58 PM9/20/10
to do...@skydrop.net, John Baudendistel, passpor...@googlegroups.com, jpwither
To simplify distribution I put all the winch info I have on my ftp
page -- downloadable at your convenience just by clicking on the
document title.

1. In your browser go to www.witanco.com/public
2. When prompted, enter the username "svcynosure" and the password
"ftpguest" both without quotation marks.
3. Click on the title "Barlow & Barient Winch Info" to see the list.
4. Click on the title of the doc you want to download.

Even if there isn't a doc for your exact model of winch, you'll get
enough info from a doc that's fairly close to keep you on track.
Rebuilding them isn't very hard.

Not to repeat what people already know, but a tip that helped me out
is to cut a winch-sized hole in something to make a tray, like a flat
for soda or beer cans, and tape it into place at the base of the
winch in case bearings and other small bits try to fall out and jump
overboard when you lift the winch drum up and off the main shaft.
Alternatively, drape a big towel or cloth or something over the winch
when you lift it up off the shaft to catch any little parts that want
to migrate.

Phil

cagou...@free.fr

Sep 26, 2015, 2:05:36 PM9/26/15
to Passport Owners, do...@skydrop.net, jo...@ets247.com, passpor...@googlegroups.com, jpwi...@bigpond.com
Hello phil,

5 years later of course your public FTP pwd is no more valid. But I have the same issue (from France) for a 24-45. Would you be kind enough to rapidly open the mirror again so that Alice can jump again ??? Thanks a lot... A private mail to cagouilles (at) free.fr is possible if you don't want too much Alice jumping in your world.
Pierre

Philip Sherwood

Sep 26, 2015, 3:52:35 PM9/26/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Original send from my iPad bounced; resending from my main account.

"do...@skydrop.net" <do...@skydrop.net>, "jo...@ets247.com"
<jo...@ets247.com>, "jpwi...@bigpond.com" <jpwi...@bigpond.com>
> Subject: Re: [Passport] Barlow & Barient winch Service manuals
>
> Hi,
>
> Not sure what Alice jumping or not jumping is all about -- Sounds kind
of cool but I ain't half the man I used to be -- But in any case the
Barlow/Barient winch stuff is still available at www.witanco.com/public,
login svcynosure, pwd ftpguest. Worked fine for me just now. I didn't
see anything for a model 24, but the 23 and 28 stuff should help.

> Suerte/bonne chance!
>
> Phil
>

> Sent from my iPad
>> --
>> --
>> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
>> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
Passpor...@googlegroups.com
>> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
Groups "Passport Owners" group.
an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com.
untitled-[2].html