Sheaves?

Rob Raymond

May 21, 2015, 11:22:41 PM5/21/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
So I thought when the time came to put the parts back on our deck, I'd just take the various sheaves to the marine store and match them up. I guess it's not going to be that easy.

I need all new sheaves for the (stock?) deck organizer, I'm not sure of the brand.

Hopefully there's somewhere other than Rig-Rite to get the Nico-Fico traveler sheaves. I've been waiting 5 months for the mast collar seal from them, they don't seem to be big on customer service.

Any ideas?

Jeff and Jane Woodward

May 21, 2015, 11:39:54 PM5/21/15
to Rob Raymond, Passport List
We have found Garhauer to be very accommodating.  They will custom match their products to the footprint of existing stuff for no or little extra money.

As far as the traveler goes.  We swapped out our Nico-Fico system with a Harken Big Boat mainsheet travel system.  IMHO it is a much better system.  More functional.  More sturdy.  I believe Garhauer also makes a good traveler system.  It will be necessary to fabricate a riser off the existing fiberglass pads for mounting a flat mainsheet traveler.  I've attached a couple of pictures of our set-up.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Adagio, P-40 #109, 1986
Portland, OR/ San Carlos, Mexico

Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 20:22:41 -0700
From: wind...@gmail.com
To: Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Passport] Sheaves?
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
SAM_7833.JPG
SAM_7878.JPG

psherwood

May 22, 2015, 12:21:07 AM5/22/15
to Passport List
Guido at Garhauer actually figured out a way to use my existing traveler
brackets in combination with a couple of stock Garhauer parts to set up
a flat mainsheet traveler. We spent about an hour and a half in his
shop, measuring, fiddling around with my brackets and various bits and
pieces, etc., until he satisfied himself that it would all work. I will
have to drill out and retap the existing hold-down bolt holes to 5/16"
(the originals were 1/4"), but that shouldn't be too hard.

Garhauer is also making transition plates so I can install the new
Garhauer rope clutches using the existing bolt holes. The extra charge
was about $20 or $25 per plate.

I didn't check out the deck organizers when I was at the shop last month
but I'd be astonished if the Garhauer offering wasn't a whole lot better
than the original Schaefers, now (in my case) 28 years old. Garhauer
could undoubtedly make transition plates for those as well, if needed.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos / Seattle

On 5/21/2015 20:39, Jeff and Jane Woodward wrote:
> We have found Garhauer to be very accommodating. They will custom match
> their products to the footprint of existing stuff for no or little extra
> money.
>
> As far as the traveler goes. We swapped out our Nico-Fico system with a
> Harken Big Boat mainsheet travel system. IMHO it is a much better
> system. More functional. More sturdy. I believe Garhauer also makes a
> good traveler system. It will be necessary to fabricate a riser off the
> existing fiberglass pads for mounting a flat mainsheet traveler. I've
> attached a couple of pictures of our set-up.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Jeff
> Adagio, P-40 #109, 1986
> Portland, OR/ San Carlos, Mexico

> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> No virus found in this message.

Larry Rovin

May 22, 2015, 8:21:27 AM5/22/15
to Jeff and Jane Woodward, Rob Raymond, Passport List
I second Garhauer. They also will custom bend a traveler if you send them the old one.

Sent from my iPhone
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com<mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> <SAM_7833.JPG>
> <SAM_7878.JPG>

John Baudendistel

May 22, 2015, 10:03:15 AM5/22/15
to Larry Rovin, Jeff and Jane Woodward, Rob Raymond, Passport List
Garhauer is reasonably priced sells mfg direct and does custom stuff. Works fine.

John

Thanks
John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com
650.678.1459
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com.

Marty McOmber

May 22, 2015, 12:07:04 PM5/22/15
to Rob Raymond, Passport Owners
When it comes to new sheaves, you really can't go wrong with Zephyr -- which are some of the best out there. The owner just did new sheaves for the top of our mast and they came out great. He is a master and the prices wasn't that bad ($45 per sheave).  http://www.zephyrwerks.com/

No link personal or otherwise to the company.  Just a happy customer.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Marty McOmber
Editor
Local boating news, community and resources for the Pacific Northwest

Follow us @

Rob Raymond

May 22, 2015, 1:38:11 PM5/22/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
If I ever need to replace the traveler I'll definitely look into Garhauer, but for now we were just going to replace the sheaves as we installed the hardware. That was until I saw the price! The deck organizer appears to be Schaefer, and the sheaves are about $40 each. The old ones aren't that bad, they are just seized, so perhaps I'll just free them up for now.

Jim Melton

May 25, 2015, 12:22:37 PM5/25/15
to Rob Raymond, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

I've dealt with Rig-Rite on several occasions.  As you observed, they aren't exactly champions of customer service.  I've waited over a week just for a return phone call or email response to a request for a price.  However, they have (so far...) always come through eventually.  If you need something that nobody else makes, use them; otherwise, maybe not.

I share the comments from others (Phil, Jeff, etc.) about Garhauer.  I have been extremely pleased with their customer service (they have well beyond what's reasonable to help me out in the past) and with their products (attractive, robust, and relatively inexpensive).

I will note, however, that I talked with Guido (by phone) about replacing my deck organizers with theirs.  I was disappointed to learn that the spacing of the mounting holes in the Garhauer deck organizers are different than the ones in the original Schaefers on my P40.  (The small Garhauer deck organizers have hole spacing less than the Schaefers, and the large Garhauers have spacing greater.  Sigh...)  It had not occurred to me that I might ask Garhauer to make up adapter/transition plates to make it possible to use their hardware, so I foresee another conversation with Guido in the near future!

Hope this helps,
   Jim

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
  Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 and W3C XML Query WG    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Alternate email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA  Personal email: SheltieJim at xmission dot com
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =

Larry Rovin

May 25, 2015, 12:43:44 PM5/25/15
to Jim Melton, Rob Raymond, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Two years ago I sent Guido my original deck organizers and he made a pair to match the bolt pattern.

Sent from my iPa

Matthew Davidson

Jun 6, 2015, 2:57:17 PM6/6/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
The schaefer deck organizers are still in production with same bolt pattern. In fact they now offer a double stacked unit so you can have up to 6 lines on each side... found it on the fisheries supply Web site. Ours was melted from the fire so we ordered completely new units. I still have the old ones if someone wants the SS parts.

Matthew

Rob Raymond

Jun 7, 2015, 12:04:59 AM6/7/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I've ordered 6 new sheaves from Vela Sailing Supply. Hopefully they arrive before we're ready to launch. 2nd coat of Primekote went on the topsides today. We're planning on making next weekend extra long to get the 3 coats of Perfection on. This is almost getting exciting!

Matthew Davidson

Jun 8, 2015, 5:03:14 PM6/8/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Direct replacement of exactly the same Stainless Steel Deck Organizer
Schafer Model #705-81 is a direct replacement of exactly the same Stainless Steel Deck Organizer unit with triple sheaves (2-3/8" dia.), Bolt size (3) 5/16" on 2-3/4" CL-CL

If you want the double stacked... look for Schafer Model # 704-31 (6) Sheaves instead of (3)... it can only be provided with an Aluminum Housing but exactly the same sheave sizes and bolt pattern... except you will need 1" longer bolts

Go to the schafer marine web site... it is shown on page 29 under Deck Orgainzers of the on-line catalog.