Arches

Kevin

Jul 28, 2016, 3:20:17 PM7/28/16
to Passport Owners

I’m mulling over an upcoming project and am interested in input from other P40 owners on arches.  I want to create a base for wind, solar and radar, plus assorted antennas, GPS receivers, and probably an engine hoist.  I’m not a davit fan and prefer an arch.  One of the areas I’m particularly interested in getting feedback on is where and how you have/would attach an arch.  Also, and design suggestions, such as tubing diameter, will be appreciated.  And finally, the downsides of an arch in anyone’s opinion.

Thanks,

Kevin Muilman

S/V Casi Cielo

1983 P40

John Baudendistel

Jul 28, 2016, 3:36:23 PM7/28/16
to Kevin, Passport Owners
Bugler has an arch which does all of the above, plus solar. No soft canvas on it.  Ping Don.

Thanks
John Baudendistel

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Neil Lynch

Jul 29, 2016, 1:10:15 PM7/29/16
to Passport Owners
Erin Elizabeth came with an arch...  here's a photo.  Radar, GPS, Antenna, Speakers are attached.   I plan on adding Solar/wind down the road.

Neil Lynch
IMG_0035.jpg

Steve Binari

Jul 29, 2016, 2:50:06 PM7/29/16
to Kevin, Passport Owners

Kevin,

We had previously posted a picture of the arch on Albireo.  Search for "Albireo arch".    Our design features are also listed in that post.

The arch was made up from 1.5" 316 stainless tubing.  It was integrated with the pushpit.  The arch has four supports.  The forward two supports are on the pads that held the sheet double blocks.  The arch was a great addition; no downside except for $$.

Steve

s/v Albireo, P40, #57, 1984

Jeff and Jane Woodward

Jul 30, 2016, 11:33:06 AM7/30/16
to Steve Binari, Kevin, Passport List
Hi Kevin,

Here are three pictures of Adagio's arch.  All these pictures are taken with the boat in preparation for storage.  That is the reason for all the Tyvek.  Our arch goes over the top of a Sunbrella bimini.  You can see the framework for the bimini, but the canvas is in storage in these pictures.

The arch is 1-1/2" 316-L tubing.  The frame for the solar panels are 316-L hat channel.  The pads for the legs are through-bolted (four bolts each) on deck next to the pads for the push-pit.  The bottom of the support legs are bent to parallel the original push-pit legs in order to visually blend the arch to the push-pit.  The arch and push-pit rails are connected with welded tabs that bolt to each other in order to stiffen both the arch and the push-pit.

We had our arch fabricated as a complete unit at the fabricator's shop.  If we were to do it again I would have the arch built in place on the boat.  Make up a sketch.  Get the materials.  Set the base plates.  Tack weld.  Remove to the shop. Complete welds.  Move back to boat, and so on.

You can see the Garhauer outboard hoist.  It is separate from the arch, but supported with an arm that yokes the upper end to the arch.  It works flawlessly.

The panels are wired together, then the wire passes inside the aft starboard arch leg to penetrate the deck.  The controller is mounted to the plywood bulkhead just aft of the fuel tank.  It is accessable by pulling out the starboard cockpit locker bin.

We are very happy with our arch.  The only thing I might do differently is to give the solar panels a little more room.  Solar panel technology has evolved quite a bit since we installed our arch in 2006.  Someday it might make sense to update with new panels and I worry that the dimensions of the new panels may not match what we have now.

Good Luck.  I hope this is a help to you.

Jeff
Adagio, P-40 #109, 1986
On the hard San Carlos, Mexico/Portland, Or

From: sbin....@gmail.com
To: casic...@gmail.com; Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [Passport] Arches
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 14:50:08 -0400
P1010071.JPG
P1010104.JPG
SAM_2309.JPG

Dean Jones P40 112 Local Talent

Jul 30, 2016, 1:55:14 PM7/30/16
to Passport Owners
About Arches...

I attached 3 photos of Local Talent.  Between the 3 photos, you can see a functioning compromise for a cruising Passport that I have now owned for 30 years.

I decided against the arch because it was just more steel and didn't do anything of value for what I needed.  I needed shade, and flexibility in achieving everything else. (I sailed to New Zealand from California and now spend time in the South Pacific)  To improve sitting space inside the cockpit, I decided on a bimini that mounts atop the original cockpit railing.  It has both a sun screen and clear window that zips down to the dodger in front, plus side curtains.  Aside from the 2 solid rail mounted fold up/down solars, I put 4 flexible solar panels that both velcro/and Zip atop the sunbrella fabric. (They have stayed on fine in 45kts of wind)  Having owned both types of solar panels - on the same boat, I think flexible panels are the way to go. No problems about the flexible solar panels atop the sunbrella fabric. I also have a small wind generator which is both quiet and very useful. If it's sunny or windy, I don't need to run the engine much. Plus, I have 2 - 100amp alternators on the Yanmar. (Yes, the second alternator is mounded to the floor beneath the engine!)

I did put a "luggage rack" off the stern to carry fuel jugs and junk, that is also supported by the monitor wind vane. It is high enough to always be above the Bubbling Butt Drag of the Passport 40. Although the monitor vane works fine, I consider it my safety backup. I mostly use the electric Raymarine autopilot. My luggage rack is also the base of support for both the wind generator pole and radar pole. The radar pole also has an outboard engine hoist.  I took the radar off the mast years ago.

Anyway, for cruising, it doesn't maybe look as stylish as a fancy arch, but everything is completely removable for both storage or repairs.  Ultimately, I decided against the arch because it wasn't flexible enough for my needs.

Dean Jones, S/V Local Talent

IMG_1172.jpeg
IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_5236.jpeg

Ian Macrae

Aug 7, 2016, 12:05:20 PM8/7/16
to Passport Owners

Kevin, the arch on Freyja is 1" SS tubing, mounted to the top rail of the existing stern railing. This avoided new screw holes in the boat and was a lot cheaper. The arch tubes go up and make a 90 degree turn to run flat over the top of my bimini.  About two inches under the top horizontal tube we installed a second tube that extends across the horizontal space as a stiffener; the two horizontal tubes are connected in several places by little 1/4"? or 3/8"? SS "pegs" welded in. There are two 185 watt solar panels on the arch, with room to mount whatever else in the way of antennas, etc. There is no dingy davit system incorporated.

6 or so years later, and after having been shaken and stirred by mother nature, it still seems to be really solid and cost only $300 (in Mexico) for the manufacture and install. I've stood on top of it a couple of times.

Ian
Freyja #49