Side portlights/hatches.. again

Chris - Pelican

Apr 3, 2011, 7:56:57 PM4/3/11
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I was just reviewing old e-mails and I'm having a hard time finding who manufactures the side portlights on my 1984 P40.  I need new gaskets for them and I'm getting sick of trying to make ones and having them not work.

Here are the hatches I mean... http://labatt.dandd.com/v/non-art/passport40/misc/side-portlight.jpg.html

Thanks!

Chris
s/v/ Pelican
Passport 40 #76

jpwither

Apr 4, 2011, 8:06:24 AM4/4/11
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,  I do not know who made the portholes however I removed mine (with a lot of difficulty) and replaced the rubber   with that bought from a store here called "Clark Rubber' it was basically just square rubber.  Mine have help up OK.

John
--
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

John Warren

Apr 4, 2011, 10:28:09 AM4/4/11
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
The portlights on Warren Peace are bronze, but look very much like your
picture. Many years ago I took the gaskets out of the portlights (which
were square) and put in new gaskets that I purchased from Bomar. They sold
me a long length of extruded round rubber which I just cut to the length
needed for each portlight. When I rebuilt every portlight I also took the
lens out and rebedded them with thin strips of butel (?). I did this over
ten years ago and they have never leaked since. The butel was purchased at
a glass store.

Take care....

Now in San Carlos, Mexico putting Warren Peace on the hard for the hurricane
season.

Apr 4, 2011, 11:33:03 AM4/4/11
to Passport Owners
General advice on 1980's vintage Passport 40 replacement parts: forget the concepts of 'Brand Name' and 'Manufacturer'; erase the words 'made by' from your P40 vocabulary. Your lovely boat was built by hand from the teak to the seacocks. While some parts might look like something from a catalog, most were cast, welded, assembled, etc.from scratch. You gotta go back to basics: I replaced my square rubber port-light gaskets by going to a supplier (in New Zealand) that sold all manner of hoses, gaskets, etc by the meter. Easy to cut to fit and no leaks. Same for other things to numerous to list. Sometimes the builder copied a commercial product, but more in the manner of a painting than a photograph.

Also, there seems to be some concern about the iron frame or cage associated with the rudder. It is not (as some might think) a rudder bearing: the rudder is held in place by two bearings, one in the hull and another one at the foot of the skeg. The cage is there to only to provide a support for travel-limit stops so that the swing of the rudder doesn't break the autopilot servo arm or run the steering cable off the quadrant. Rust isn't pretty, but for most purposes, there is plenty of support.

View[+]Finder

rhp...@verizon.net

Apr 4, 2011, 12:30:58 PM4/4/11
to jo...@warren-peace.us, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I found replacement gasket at Fawcetts in Annapolis.  I used the square versions - they have worked great for the past 6-7 years.  I also had all of the glass replaced by local glass shop.  No leaks.....

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40-70

Jim Melton

Apr 6, 2011, 1:58:46 PM4/6/11
to John Warren, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
John, you used the word "butel" and then put a
question mark after it, suggesting that you're
not positive of the spelling. Could you perhaps mean "butyl"?

I've discovered that 3M makes a couple of
products for this purpose: 3M™ Scotch-Weld™
Sealer 5300 (a liquid sealant in tubes) and 3M™
Scotch-Weld™ Sealant Strip 5313 (a tape). Either
looks feasible to use for rebedding portlight
lenses (but neither seems appropriate for use as portlight gaskets).

Chris, I'm glad you opened this subject, as I've
just started to look more seriously for
replacement material for my porthole gaskets (my
portholes look very much like yours, the only
obvious difference being the closing mechanisms).

Hope this helps,
Jim

================
Jim Melton & Barbara Edelberg
"Dream SeQueL"
1982 Passport 40, hull# 18
http://DreamSeQueL.com
"Cruising: boat maintenance in exotic locations"

John Warren

Apr 6, 2011, 8:02:16 PM4/6/11
to Jim Melton, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Yes...I mean butyl. Almost every glass company uses it....particularly with
windshields on cars. I purchased butyl in rolls which were thin layers of
goo separated by non sticking paper. As you unrolled the butyl...you peeled
the non stick paper off of it and layed in place.

Take care....

Apr 10, 2011, 11:55:00 AM4/10/11
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Chris, I got some rectangular shaped EPDM from Wefco. It fits well in the slot for the gasket for the portlights, but it is too hard and is not sealing well. I'm thinking about getting some gasket material from Select Plastics - www.selectplastics.com . They sell a round EPDM material in a couple sizes, specifically intended for portlight gaskets. I would think the round stuff would just squish into those slots just fine, and if it's soft enough it should seal well. I too am anxious to find something that will seal those portlights well. I think I looked at Fawcett's and they didn't have anything, but they have gone through some changes in the last few years. Let me know what you end up using!

Brian Moloney
Toloa, 1984 P40 #77

Apr 10, 2011, 2:07:59 PM4/10/11
to Brian Moloney, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

While I know it is not a marine site nor specific to hatches, you may want to troll around www.mcmaster.com

You may find something suitable since they have almost every product under the sun. for example, I found half inch, 6 inch long SS bolts here for my anchor windlass as well as very good rubber gaskets that work perfectly for fridge doors and hatches http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-bulb-seals/=btg1x8

Regards

Bob

Apr 10, 2011, 2:44:55 PM4/10/11
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Brian and others,

We used a round neopreme cord that we found at our local chandlery.  It is very squishy, similar in consistency to thick wetsuit material.  We glued it in with 3M weather stripping adhesive (basically contact cement).  That was seven years and 20,000 miles of cruising ago and we have not had a single leak.  We also used in on the big horizontal hatches on deck in addition to the portlights.   Sorry, I don't know where to tell you to get it.  I did order some stuff from McMaster-Carr but it was much too dense and stiff and did not work.  We bought the stuff that works from Beacon Marine in Ventura, CA and a quick call to them  might reveal where to get the material.

Another tip that really works:  For sealing the acrylic lenses in the salon windows and the horizontal hatches, use Dow Corning 795.  It is an industrial glazing compound for putting windows in skyscrapers and has a 25 year guarantee in that application.  Comes in all kinds of colors and is cheap.   Once again, no leaks in almost seven years.  Power boat windshield guys use this stuff, too.

Good luck!

Jeff Beller
S/V Journey
La Paz, BCS, Mexico

Apr 10, 2011, 5:19:59 PM4/10/11
to Passport Owners
I asked our boatyard that is fixing our rudder cage (all done - I'll
post some pics soon) to see if they could track down some gasket
material. They build boats there and have lots of suppliers -
hopefully will know those that specialize in gasketing types of
materials. Anyway, they took measurements and are going to let me
know next week what they find. I'll report back here.

On Apr 10, 2:07 pm, "Robert C. Young" <rcyo...@optonline.net> wrote:
> While I know it is not a marine site nor specific to hatches, you may want
> to troll aroundwww.mcmaster.com
>
> You may find something suitable since they have almost every product under
> the sun. for example, I found half inch, 6 inch long SS bolts here for my
> anchor windlass as well as very good rubber gaskets that work perfectly for
> fridge doors and hatcheshttp://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-bulb-seals/=btg1x8
>
> Regards
>
> Bob

Matthew Davidson

Oct 10, 2016, 4:14:16 PM10/10/16
to Passport Owners
Hello P40 Members
I have been refitting the Wildflower and have 1ea Portlight door that needs to be replaced.
The Knucklehead who flipped her to us had carved out the glass and bent the heck out of the entire portlight hinged door assembly.

I am hopeful one of you may have a spare in stock from a removal?
Please let me know.

The one we are looking for is over the Navigation station.
See PDF Photo Attached of a good one from the Head we are trying to find a dublicate of...

Matthew Davidson
SV Wilflower P-40
Wildflower Portlight.pdf

Kenyon Stewart

Oct 10, 2016, 4:29:57 PM10/10/16
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Hi Matthew,
I have some from our 47 which should be the same.  I'll dig them out and measure them this weekend.  You may need to replace the frame and door with a known pair as the castings seem to have variances.  I'm in SF Bay area, so I'd have to ship it.

You could also check with Ted Bannister on Adesso, they're up in Vancouver I think.  I know he replaced his also a few years ago.

Kenyon
S/V Outbound

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Matthew Davidson

Oct 10, 2016, 4:32:22 PM10/10/16
to Kenyon Stewart, Passport Owners
Ours are 1983 vintage... if that helps?

Matthew A Davidson - Mat...@AntecCorporation.com
ANTEC CORPORATION
(Mail): PO Box 1609, North Bend, Wa 98045
(NEW Ship Address): 12622 412th Ave SE., North Bend, Wa 98045
(Office) 425-888-9090, (Cell) 206-660-1311, (Fax) 425-888-6492  ,
My Backup is Cindy StrakaSup...@AntecCorporation.com

Manufacturer's Agent for: www.anteccorporation.com
Tideflex Technologies - www.tideflex.com
Red Valve Company - www.redvalve.com
GA Industries - www.gaindustries.com
North American Pipe - RJ PVC Pipe - www.certa-lok.com
TRIC-Tools PipeBursting - www.trictrenchless.com
Mack Iron Works Strainers - www.mackiron.com
Bruest Catalytic Heaters -  www.bruestcatalyticheaters.com
PermaPure Gas Conditioners - www.permapure.com
Specialty T/C's, T/C Wire, Cable & Connectors www.anteccorporation.com

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Kenyon Stewart

Oct 10, 2016, 4:35:36 PM10/10/16
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Ours are 1984, and just by looks, I think they're the same.

And to answer Chris' original question, I think they were manufactured by Grand Deer which is no longer in business.  I have some images of some catalog pages somewhere with our portlights that I found on a Tayana forum long ago.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Matthew Davidson <mat...@anteccorporation.com> wrote:
Ours are 1983 vintage... if that helps?
Matthew A Davidson - Mat...@AntecCorporation.com
ANTEC CORPORATION
(Mail): PO Box 1609, North Bend, Wa 98045
(NEW Ship Address): 12622 412th Ave SE., North Bend, Wa 98045
(Office) 425-888-9090, (Cell) 206-660-1311, (Fax) 425-888-6492  ,
My Backup is Cindy StrakaSupport@AntecCorporation.com

Matthew Davidson

Oct 28, 2016, 8:21:37 AM10/28/16
to Passport Owners
Any luck on finding your old portlights? I'm really interested!!!

Matthew
206-660-1311