Passport 40 burned and totalled

Jim Melton

May 19, 2014, 7:55:14 PM5/19/14
to Passport Owners
Gentlefriends,

Many of you will recall a message about two months ago from Heidi
Hackler telling us that they had a heater-caused fire on board their
P40, Due West.

In an email exchange with Heidi, she informed me that another P40 had
a fire and she thought that it had burned completely. She didn't
have any other details, but gave me a pointer to the boatyard where
the incident happened. Today, I finally got the information about that boat.

It turns out that it was hull# 046, Wildflower, formerly of the Bay
Area (hailing port was Alameda, CA), owned by Todd Eversole and
Virginia Duncan. The boat was, according to the boatyard, a total
loss, although exactly what that means was not specified. The boat
was sold (after the fire) to somebody the boatyard did not know. I
have inquiries that hope to identify the owner so I can find out more
details about what their plans might be. Sadly, I have no contact
information for Eversole or Duncan except an almost-certainly
obsolete snailmail address in Wisconsin. If any of you know them, or
the boat, or other relevant information, please let me know.

If, indeed, the boat burned to the water line (and I do NOT know
that!), it would be the first and only P40 of which I'm aware to no
longer be afloat. More when I know more...

Sigh...
Jim

================
Jim Melton & Barbara Edelberg
"Dream SeQueL"
1982 Passport 40, hull# 18
http://DreamSeQueL.com
"BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand"

Marty McOmber

May 19, 2014, 8:05:28 PM5/19/14
to Jim Melton, Passport Owners
Hi Jim,

I know some of the folks CSR, that yard where the boat was taken. It was not burned to the waterline, but was heavily damaged in the blaze and was considered a total loss by the insurance company.  I'll see if I can find out more about her fate.

I was told by one of the yard managers that the fire started when someone mixed up a large bucket of resin and hardner (like several gallons) and then left it in the cockpit. You might guess what happened next. The exothermic reaction of that magnitude started the fire. It melted the boom, I'm told, among many other things.

More if I learn it. . .

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Marty McOmber
Editor
Local boating news, community and resources for the Pacific Northwest

Follow us @

Jim Melton

May 19, 2014, 8:34:22 PM5/19/14
to Marty McOmber, Passport Owners
Marty,

Many thanks for the information! I'm glad that
it wasn't burned to the waterline. Perhaps the
new owner will be able to repair the boat and get
her back out on the water eventually.

I can only imagine how hot that bucket of
resin/hardener would have gotten. I've never
even considered mixing up that much at one time,
much less leaving it on my boat (or anywhere near any structures).

Anything additional you can learn, especially the
identity of the new owner, will go into the P40 database.

Thanks again,
Jim

At 2014-05-19 18:05, Marty McOmber wrote:
>Hi Jim,
>
>I know some of the folks CSR, that yard where
>the boat was taken. It was not burned to the
>waterline, but was heavily damaged in the blaze
>and was considered a total loss by the insurance
>company. I'll see if I can find out more about her fate.
>
>I was told by one of the yard managers that the
>fire started when someone mixed up a large
>bucket of resin and hardner (like several
>gallons) and then left it in the cockpit. You
>might guess what happened next. The exothermic
>reaction of that magnitude started the fire. It
>melted the boom, I'm told, among many other things.Â
>
>More if I learn it. . .

Bill Schmidt

May 20, 2014, 2:13:21 PM5/20/14
to Passport Owners, Jim Melton, Liddy
Jim, Conrad & Diana Skaggs were the original owners of Wildflower. They
currently (I think) reside in Burney, California. They may be able to assist
you and, I'm sure, would like to know about the loss. Diana was working for
Passage Yachts in Pt. Richmond,Ca. at the time. I first saw Wildflower in
the Bay Area boat show in 1988 or 89, fell in love with it and, on the spot,
bought the next available boat, then in transit from Formosa on a ship -
Wind Witch.
Ah, memories, if sad.
Billy Manana
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> "Passport Owners" group.
> email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com.

Chris - Pelican

May 20, 2014, 5:24:00 PM5/20/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
OK - I'll say what everyone is probably thinking...

IF Wildflower was sold by the insurance company to someone with the intention of salvaging parts as opposed to a rebuild - can we track down her whereabouts ASAP and contact the new owner?

I hope she's being rebuilt, but if she isn't... I call dibs on a whole bunch of parts.

Chris

Chris - Pelican

May 22, 2014, 1:57:31 AM5/22/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
BTW - did Heidi ever determine what the cause of the fire on Due West was?  It would be helpful to us Passport owners to know whether there was a wiring issue or whether it was something else.  Anyone know?

Donal Botkin

May 22, 2014, 10:24:40 AM5/22/14
to Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
An earlier post identified the cause as a failure of an oil-filled space-heater, not a boat part.
Cozy, but not safe.

View[+]Finder

Marty McOmber

May 22, 2014, 1:22:48 PM5/22/14
to Donal Botkin, Chris - Pelican, Passport Owners
That's right.  Heidi and Kirk keep their boat just across the fairway from us (two Passport 40s in the same marina!).  Yes, it appears to be an oil-filled radiator-style space heater. Strange part is that it was plugged in, but not turned on.  The fire chief who responded to the scene (also a boater) apparently told Heidi and Kirk that he replaces his every two years. The reason: the internal tubes for the oil can corrode in the salt air, causing pinhole leaks of oil. Oil on a live electrical circuit -- not good.

Photos I've seen of the repairs look great. And they hope to have the boat back in the water soon.

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Jim Melton

May 23, 2014, 6:07:47 PM5/23/14
to Chris - Pelican, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Chris, et al,

I now know the name of the buyer and a phone number at which the buyer can be contacted.  I am not yet going to make this public; first, I'm going to contact the buyer myself to see if it's acceptable for me to make that information public.  I'll keep everybody updated as much as possible.  I do not recognize the buyer as the owner of a P40 already in the database, though.

There's ONE part I'd like.  After that, you jackals can go in for the kill ;^)

Hope this helps,
   Jim
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted  **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message.     **
Jim Melton     SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive
Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
  http://SheltieRescueUT.org
  Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time
Support Sheltie Rescue and indulge yourself, too:
  http://SheltieRescueMall.com
Read and comment in our blog:
  http://SheltieTales.com

Michael de lisle

Oct 3, 2014, 8:56:46 PM10/3/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Going to take a look at this boat tomorrow and asses the damage. I know that the boom and the sails are gone. And the cockpit looks pretty bad. But, I Love a project!

Marty McOmber

Oct 3, 2014, 10:58:02 PM10/3/14
to Michael de lisle, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
This the one in Seattle (tacoma)? If so I know the yard that salvaged.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 3, 2014, at 5:56 PM, Michael de lisle <krazy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Going to take a look at this boat tomorrow and asses the damage. I know that the boom and the sails are gone. And the cockpit looks pretty bad. But, I Love a project!

Ian Macrae

Oct 4, 2014, 3:27:28 PM10/4/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com, krazy...@gmail.com
Hey, I'm in Seattle! And need some P40 parts, of course. If there's anything I can do, such as taking pictures to post on line of any particular parts, etc., let me know. Also, let me know if the chance of salvaging parts comes up. Thanks.

Ian

Freyja, #49 P40

ddockrat

Oct 4, 2014, 5:10:10 PM10/4/14
to Ian Macrae, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, krazy...@gmail.com
A lot of us have parts that we might consider extra. Put out what you are looking for and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone

Mdm

Oct 4, 2014, 5:22:06 PM10/4/14
to ddockrat, Ian Macrae, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, krazy...@gmail.com
Post your list. We all got stuff!

Sent from my iPhone

Michael de lisle

Oct 5, 2014, 9:09:50 PM10/5/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
So we finally got down to take a look at WildFlower and I'm sorry to say that the damage is pretty extensive. More time, money and talent then I have to put into it. The current owner has made an attempt at re- glassing the cockpit and it didn't turn out so good. It would need to be ground down and completely re done. Here is what I could see needed to be done. Burn damage extensively in the cockpit and up over the hatch cover. Companion way hatch is trashed and needs to be rebuilt. Steering pedestal and all the hardware in the cockpit would need to be replaced. I would pull all the portlights because they need to be replaced or cleaned somehow. I would have to gut the interior and repaint over all the smoke damage as well as sand down all the wood and re varnish. If the damage in the cockpit was not so extensive I would probably take on the project but that cockpit was just ugly. Or if the price was near free. If anyone is interested, the boat is on craigslist and the owner is asking $42k.

Donal Botkin

Oct 5, 2014, 10:44:28 PM10/5/14
to Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Are the pictures on Craigslist an accurate representation of the damage to the boat? If they are, this project may not be as big as was reported. Still, $42k seems too high a price to pay for a P40 with possible structural damage to a weather-deck.

View[+]Finder

On Oct 5, 2014, at 18:09 , Michael de lisle <krazy...@gmail.com> wrote:

craigslist

Jim Melton

Oct 6, 2014, 12:33:09 PM10/6/14
to Donal Botkin, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Donal,

Can you send me a link to the pictures? I haven't seen them yet and
am curious.

I have personally spoken to people at the boatyard where she sits, as
well as to the guy who purchased her from the insurance company. I
can't tell anybody what he paid for the hull because I promised him I
wouldn't, but I will say that $42K would represent a very good profit.

I wouldn't touch the boat with a 3-fathom pole unless I had a very
experienced surveyor with me, but the boatyard said that they did not
believe the damage was structural (based solely on their relatively
casual observation).

I should also point out that I am now aware of at least three people
who have considered purchasing the boat. That the earliest such
person has not done so, combined with Michael de Lisle's description,
worries me greatly. If the boat is not fixable, this will be the
first Passport 40 of which I am aware no longer in service. Tragic loss...

Thanks,
Jim

At 2014-10-05 20:44, Donal Botkin wrote:
>Are the pictures on Craigslist an accurate representation of the
>damage to the boat? If they are, this project may not be as big as
>was reported. Still, $42k seems too high a price to pay for a P40
>with possible structural damage to a weather-deck.
>
>View[+]Finder

Donal Botkin

Oct 6, 2014, 1:11:49 PM10/6/14
to Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Here's the link:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4680256084.html

What is the boatyard's location? I used to live in Tacoma and have family there.

As for the price, the 'flipping-strategy' works with real estate (where damage is identifiable and contractors can be found easily), but I don't think the "guy" will be successful with a $42k ask. Isn't that about twice as much as anyone with the skills and time to do the job right would be willing to spend? Minimum a new boom and a suit of primary sails, plus some serious repair work on the fiberglass in the cockpit, a new helm and companionway, (new cushions if they stink), but the rest of the boat looks OK. I've seen a lot worse interiors among boats that have seen some serious time at sea. P40's clean up pretty with not too much work below decks.

The surveyor would be useful for an opinion as to whether an insurance company would insure the boat post-rebuild and what exactly would need to be done to bring it up to an insurable condition. No one wants to put to sea with a half-baked (literally) cockpit.

I hope the boat is not a total loss--that would be a shame indeed--but the risk here is that the boat will languish while the "guy" tries to make a tidy profit and the Puget Sound weather will take its toll.

View[+]Finder

psherwood

Oct 6, 2014, 1:40:19 PM10/6/14
to Donal Botkin, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
I can't say for sure but looks like it could be at Fishermen's Terminal,
Seattle.

The photos must be pre-fire pix; also, the text doesn't say anything
about there having been a fire or any sort of distress. I think that's
pretty sneaky.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos / Seattle

John Baudendistel

Oct 6, 2014, 2:39:00 PM10/6/14
to Phil Sherwood, Donal Botkin, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Hello all.

Does anyone know the cause of the fire?  Hmm diesel heater.  Might be beneficial to the rest of the group.  As the older passports are a well know boat and this list frets out every detail of almost anything I'm not sure how one could list it without some more disclosure and or the information becoming widely known.

John

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Thanks,

John Baudendistel

Donal Botkin

Oct 6, 2014, 2:44:52 PM10/6/14
to John Baudendistel, Phil Sherwood, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
A pot of mixed fiberglass resin overheated in the cockpit and burst into flame. This set the sail on fire and trashed the boom and companionway. No heater was involved. (all that from memory)

Marty McOmber

Oct 6, 2014, 3:54:39 PM10/6/14
to Donal Botkin, John Baudendistel, Phil Sherwood, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
That's what I heard from the folks at CSR Marine.

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
For more options, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

Chris - Pelican

Oct 6, 2014, 4:29:36 PM10/6/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I think the pictures are post-fire. The cockpit shown signs of scorching on the side coamings and the hatch and boom are missing in the pics. It appears as if most of the damage was localized to the cockpit. Of course, a significant amount of the electrics run into the condo/storage area under the cockpit so there is probably a pretty big mess of melted wires in addition to the fiberglass/wood work that needs to be done. I'm also shocked that there is no mention of damage in the craigslist post. That seems unethical and time wasting.

If anyone hears whether it's going to be parted out (which would be a shame, but would be helpful to many of us P40 owners) please let us know.

P.S. I'm looking for barrels and the little screw in knobs for several of my barrel latches... if anyone has any extras. I need a long one for the accordion door in the aft stateroom, and 4 for my screens under the big hatches.

Chris

Jim Melton

Oct 6, 2014, 9:45:41 PM10/6/14
to Donal Botkin, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Donal,

Thanks much for the link to the pics.

I don't know exactly where the boatyard is, but I could almost
certainly find the name again if you want me to.

After looking at the pictures, I agree that $42K is away too much
money, considering the amount of work that's needed. I personally
might be willing to offer half that (if I needed another P40, that
is). The guy would still make a profit, I'm sure, although I can't
guess how much he's put into the "repairs" (such as they are).

Hmmm...would I be the only person who actually has a "spare Passport
40"? :) :) :)

Thanks again,
Jim

Jim Melton

Oct 6, 2014, 9:45:43 PM10/6/14
to John Baudendistel, Phil Sherwood, Donal Botkin, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
John,

Sadly, I do know the cause.

It seems that the (now former) owners mixed up a large batch (the boatyard told me "about 5 gallons") of epoxy for some purpose, then left the boat for some reason ("for just a few minutes").  When they returned, the epoxy had heated sufficiently to ignite the fiberglass.

The pictures on craigslist are definitely post-fire.  Notice that the teak inlay is missing from the starboard side of the cockpit.

Hope this helps,
   Jim

At 2014-10-06 12:39, John Baudendistel wrote:
Hello all. Â

Does anyone know the cause of the fire?  Hmm diesel heater.  Might be beneficial to the rest of the group.  As the older passports are a well know boat and this list frets out every detail of almost anything I'm not sure how one could list it without some more disclosure and or the information becoming widely known. Â

John

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM, psherwood <p...@witanco.com> wrote:
I can't say for sure but looks like it could be at Fishermen's Terminal, Seattle.

The photos must be pre-fire pix; also, the text doesn't say anything about there having been a fire or any sort of distress. I think that's pretty sneaky.

Phil
s/v Cynosure
San Carlos / Seattle

================

christin...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2014, 9:07:30 AM10/7/14
to Marty McOmber, Donal Botkin, John Baudendistel, Phil Sherwood, Jim Melton, Michael de lisle, Passport Owners
Message has been deleted

Beverly Davidson

Dec 10, 2014, 12:05:48 AM12/10/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Passport Owners All,

Wildflower Update...my husband Matthew and I have purchased Passport 40 hull #46 aka Wildflower. Yes, her cockpit and boom, mainsail and companionway were fairly heavily damaged by fire, totaled by insurance and sold to us by someone "flipping" her who did little more than paint over the charred wreckage of her cockpit. The good news is, we've been cutting our teeth restoring an equally seaworthy but also a big project Rawson 30 for the last three years and we believe we're up to the task to return Wildflower to good health and future adventures.
We will be keeping a detailed log of our progress and will be looking forward to helpful advise and encouragement along the way. Her new, post-repair name will very likely be Phoenix, for obvious reasons... Please feel free to share helpful hints as we will be starting from ground zero with a new boom, electronics, sails, and much-needed fiberglass and teak inlay repair in the cockpit. If anyone can put us in touch with the previous owner(s) we would much appreciate it.

Happy Holidays!

Beverly Davidson

Beverly Davidson

Dec 10, 2014, 12:05:50 AM12/10/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

John Baudendistel

Dec 10, 2014, 10:55:30 AM12/10/14
to Beverly Davidson, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Beverly

Congrats! Where are you located? Knowing where may help with recommendations

John B

John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com

Beverly Davidson

Dec 10, 2014, 12:20:03 PM12/10/14
to John Baudendistel, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Greetings John,

Thank you. We are so excited to count ourselves among you. We will be repairing her in Seattle and local recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Fiberglass repair and woodcraft/marine carpentry to repair the companionway are the first order of business. We have been referring to our undertaking as The Phoenix Project...

Cheers,

Beverly and Matthew Davidson
P40 Hull #46
S/V Wildflower (Phoenix)

"Live with Intention"

John Baudendistel

Dec 10, 2014, 12:29:34 PM12/10/14
to Beverly Davidson, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Beverly,
Many Passporters know and have sailed the PNW. I'm sure that Bill S of wind witch will chime in soon with his recommendation. He has sailed to the PNW more than most and was just up there this year, having just returned to SF.

Don Fife of Bugler and I replaced many teak planks on our boats. Dons the wood working expert. I learned a lot from him. We milled new planks for Dream Keeper. Don also re planked his cockpit on his P40. Specifically the upper pads as well. There is some weird fiberglass "honeycombed" material under the pads. He removed them and glued in solid teak planking. Then re caulked. Lots of work. Came our real nice!

John

Dream Keeper
P42

John

John Baudendistel
Jo...@ets247.com

Marty McOmber

Dec 10, 2014, 1:03:52 PM12/10/14
to John Baudendistel, Beverly Davidson, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Beverly,

You are most welcome to come visit us and our 1985 Passport 40, Meridian, at Elliott Bay Marina in Seattle. Deborah and I have been doing a lot of work updating and upgrading her since we bought her 3 years ago.  As an added bonus, we are just across the fairway from Heidi and Kirk who also have a mid-80s P40 -- and are great people to boot.  We have a v-birth and shower stall, they have the pullman and forward head.  And between us, we've dealt with a lot of the common issues.  In addition, Heidi and Kirk's boat has a fire aboard last year, which they were able to contain.  Did some interior damage, but she has been repaired extremely well.

In fact, we'll be down there Saturday evening for the holiday boat parade.

Best,

Marty

Bill Schmidt

Dec 10, 2014, 3:55:27 PM12/10/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com, Beverly Davidson
Beverly, you brave, brave person: Welcome to the Passport Owners
Association! The original owners of Wild Flower were Conrad & Diana
Skaggs. The second owners were Virginia (Ginny) and Todd Eversol. I will
try to get you last known e-mail addresses ASAP. We happened to contact
Todd quite by accident this summer as we sailed by Thetis Island. He has
been building (or working on) a house there, Somehow we missed him while
we were in Ladysmith. Don Fife has his boat wintering over in Bellingham
or Blaine, I believe. He is a wealth of information on his restoration
of "Bugler", a P40. The annual meeting of the POA is this Saturday at
our house in Tiburon, Calif. I will try to get you as much contact
information then as I possibly can. Lainey Volk, owner of "Silas
Talbot", a Passport 51, lives on San Juan Island. She may have some
"local" knowledge for you. Lastly, I have had excellent experience with
work on Wind Witch at the Seaview North in Bellingham. Expensive, but
excellent. Tiel, the managing owner (and son of the Seaview founder) is
a great guy. Reserved, but very good to know. You should see the fire
damaged Westport Megayacht in the Bellingham yard! I have seen a lot of
the photos of Wild Flower. Hope you can restore her. Incidently, Diana
worked for the original Passport broker in the SF Bay area, Passage
Yachts. I would be absolutely shocked if they were any help, but who
knows? Thom Wagner,the other original broker of Passports, is near God
like and has been extremely supportive of Passport owners all over the
US. HE is located in Annapolis, Md, and owns the Royal Passport boat
building business.
More later.
Billy Manana
bill.vcf

Dan Brinkman

Dec 11, 2014, 11:52:43 AM12/11/14
to Bill Schmidt, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, Beverly Davidson
Any idea what caused the fires in these two P-40s? Thanks!

Dan Brinkman, 1985 P-40, "Good Move"
> <bill.vcf>

Jim Melton

Dec 11, 2014, 2:13:46 PM12/11/14
to Dan Brinkman, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, Beverly Davidson
Dan,

The fire on Wild Flower was caused (according to the guy at the
boatyard to whom I spoke) by somebody mixing a "large amount, about
five gallons" of fiberglass resin and leaving it in the cockpit while
he/she/they left the boat for a while. The heat generated by that
much epoxy was obviously rather extreme and set the cockpit on fire,
as well as melting part of the boom.

The other fire was apparently caused by a malfunctioning heater
inside the boat. It caused a fair amount of cosmetic damage (smoke
damage, as well as charring), but did not get out of control and
structural damage was avoided because of the quick action by the
owners (who were aboard).

Hope this helps,
Jim
HSUS spends 5x as much on their retirement plan as
they spend on animal rescue/shelters. FIVE TIMES!!
** Permission to repost this message is granted **
** unless explicitly denied in THIS message. **
Jim Melton SheltieJim at xmission dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive
Sandy, UT 84093-1063
Shelties since 1969; ASSA member since 1992
Please visit Sheltie Rescue of Utah, Inc. at
http://SheltieRescueUT.org
Saving The World, One Sheltie At A Time
Support Sheltie Rescue and indulge yourself, too:
http://SheltieRescueMall.com
Read and comment in our blog:
http://SheltieTales.com

Beverly Davidson

Dec 12, 2014, 9:18:09 PM12/12/14
to Dan Brinkman, Bill Schmidt, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan!

My understanding, as Jim stated, is that the Wildflower fire was the result of a hot batch of resin left unattended in the cockpit which caught mainsail companionway hatch and teak inlays ablaze. By observation, the hatch was open as there is also damage to the companionway and it looks like a hand towel caught fire hanging on the galley counter. Fire department may have pried up the head hatch to fight from the bow too, as the hatch is tweaked... Battery cover and access door behind stairs have been removed, most certainly due to charring. Pictures soon, I promise. See Sheltie Jim's comments regarding fire on Wings. I will establish a "Project Phoenix" blog on Three Sheets Northwest with help from Marty and Deborah soon.

Beverly

Sent from my iPhone

Todd Eversole

Dec 16, 2014, 11:42:30 PM12/16/14
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all PoA folks.

I used to be an active member of the PoA when we were living in the Bay area, and have recently been directed to comments made on this newsgroup. Ah the Internet....  a wonderful source of information and misinformation.
Here are the actual details of the boat fire that caused severe damage to Wildflower. On a sad Monday last February while my wife was visiting family back in New Zealand and I was up in Canada, having left the boat securely closed up as was customary when we leave the boat,( with AC power off and only the battery run bilge pump set to run as needed),  I received a call from the marina mid day that my boat was on fire.  The marina, boat neighbors and the fire department where very helpful in putting out Wildflower's fire.  Both the Fire Investigator as well as the Insurance Investigator could not determine the cause of the fire,(certainly no 5 gallon bucket of resin, no electrical, no propane, no dinghy fuel or chemicals), only that it started in the cockpit and spread quickly to the canvas, dodger, sails and boat cover.   The fire created a terrible mess and severely damaged the cockpit, companionway,boom,  as well as significant smoke and water damage throughout.  Needless to say the amount of heat from all the synthetics burning melted the boom in half.  As for these people who say "They know the yard manager of CSR" giving this information...... I know the owner of CSR. The owner of CSR helped us through this horrible experience, He is extremely professional, knowledgeable, and accommodating.
Losing Wildflower was devastating, she had been mine and my wife's home for 14 years.  In the San Francisco Bay, San Diego and some wonderful cruises through Mexico. It was a real blow to us to loose our home and we wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I just want to post the truth about the incident.

Best to you, Passport Owners.  We've enjoyed our interactions with you folks.

Todd and Virginia

Jim Melton

Dec 17, 2014, 2:29:42 PM12/17/14
to Todd Eversole, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Todd aned Virginia,

MANY thanks for the facts about this devastating fire.  I am terribly sorry that you suffered the damage to your boat, and it somehow doesn't really help much that the source of the fire could not be determined.  I am glad to hear that nobody was foolish enough to leave a large container of resin in the cockpit unattended, as that would have been the height of stupidity and/or carelessness.

I don't know the name of the person at CSR to whom I spoke about the fire, but whomever it was told me clearly about the "5 gallon bucket of resin".  Obviously, the person to whom I spoke was not really knowledgeable about the situation.  I apologize for spreading inaccurate information, but I did so in good faith.  Now that we know the truth, I will record that in my Passport database.

With great empathy for your loss,
   Jim

At 2014-12-16 21:42, Todd Eversole wrote:
[...]

Beverly Davidson

Dec 18, 2014, 12:08:17 AM12/18/14
to Todd Eversole, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Sincere thanks to Todd Eversole who graciously reached out to Matthew and I and who we are hopeful will be much more to us than a source of information. We are so grateful for your willingness to share insight and direction as we embark on this adventure. Having you a resource cannot be easily quantified, so let us offer our sincere gratitude for the first time.
We are hopeful that you are still dreaming of sailing away and that we can be an encouragement to you. We both look forward to meeting you and Virginia soon.
Happy Holidays!

Beverly

Sent from my iPhone
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Matthew Davidson

Apr 13, 2015, 11:42:58 PM4/13/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Well... the process of bringing her back is underway. We have started sanding the deck after our pvc framed cover went on last weekend. Wildflower now looks like a Zeppelin. Is there a way to post pictures on this page?

Matthew

Ernie Reuter

Matthew Davidson

Sep 8, 2016, 1:45:50 PM9/8/16
to Passport Owners, mat...@anteccorporation.com
After re-reading this thread way back when we started I am shocked with how far we have come since we actually covered her up and started the Re-Fit of Wildflower way back on April 10th, 2015.

Below is a summary update on Wildflower's recovery from the ashes...

We are getting very close to completion of the major refit!
It's been a very long long process and I am so very thankful to have a wonderfully patient wife to work with through this process.
I also have the thank the entire family of folks working and living at South Park Marina in Seattle.
It has been so enjoyable to now have a new family to draw upon for advice and expertise.
We have learned so much it is just unspeakable.

Here is where we are:
1) 95% rewired to new standards
2) 100% re plumbed with all new valves, hoses, thru-hulls, head, sink, valves... etc.
3) 100% new instruments
4) New Teak in entire cockpit, hatch, and down companion way
5) Repaired blisters in hull and full bottom paint
6) Repaired massive fiberglass damage in cockpit, over deck and replacing all fire damaged non-skid
7) Removed every deck fitting and have faired and am in process of repainting now... with new non-skid 60 grit garnet sand over same pattern as original
8) Refinished entire cap rail, R&R Chocks
9) Mounted raised pads under every deck fitting... especially the Genoa Sail Track to eliminate long term leakage... mounting them today!

This week is going to see a big change as we have already put 2 coats of paint on the cabin top, We are very excited!
The pictures we have from the "as-found" condition to today are dramatic... its really just amazing.
I hope to someday make a photo journal of the entire process to share with the group.
I can not wait to rig the lines and put up the sails that were so graciously donated to us. They have been repaired at North Sails and we will be able to put them to use in the next 2 months after a true christening.

If anyone has an outline for re-christening a sailboat... we would gladly like to see it!

Best to all!

Matthew & Beverly Davidson - Team Wildflower Restoration
South Park Marina, Seattle, WA