Passport 40 Hull Deformation

Mark

Sep 6, 2016, 8:11:38 PM9/6/16
to Passport Owners

I inspected a Passport 40 a couple days ago that has an indentation in the hull, topsides.  It is outboard of the chainplate for the upper shrouds, and seems to extend approximately from the top of the knee to the bottom of the knee (approximately from slightly above the shear stripe down about 1/2 way towards the waterline).  From fore to aft, it extends maybe 18 inches to two feet.  It is subtle and difficult to photograph because of reflections and shadows.  It is readily apparent if you view from a certain angle and move your head around to see the changes in light.  If the hull were chalky dry old gelcoat, it might not be apparent--but this is a glossy hull.  The indentation is smooth and gradual as though something is pulling it in from the interior.  I did not check shroud tension but the mast appeared to be straight.

In the area of that chainplate and knee, there was old water leakage and a repair.  The wooden headliner in the locker containing that knee is warped and delaminated in that immediate vicinity.  The underside of the deck and inside of the hull are not visible.

I was told the hull is solid glass, based on a plug cut out for an underwater thru-hull.  I do not know whether we can extrapolate that it is also solid above the waterline.  It is my understanding that these were cored hulls.

How concerned should I be?  Should I run away, or proceed with expensive surveys?  Has anyone seen this phenomenon before?  Have you seen it corrected?  Any wild ass guesses about what's going on?

If this is a problem, there is a Nordic 40 waiting in the wings.

Mark

Sep 9, 2016, 11:54:55 PM9/9/16
to Passport Owners
Wow.  I submitted this weeks ago.  I have since passed on the boat.

Richard Rollins

Sep 29, 2016, 12:29:52 AM9/29/16
to Passport Owners
Hi Mark,

I am curious, since I saw your post in another thread about a rusted rudder cage. Would you care to share the boat name, location, or broker? I will be driving to Seattle in a couple days to look at boats, including a P40. Am I mistaken that you were looking at a boat in Seattle?

Thanks,
Richard

BTW I started my search a couple years ago looking at a P37. I am still searching, have looked at a variety of boats and keep coming back to the Passports. Nice looking boats if you can find the right one, in good condition.