Re: Digest for PassiveHouseNW@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

NW EcoBuilding Guild

Jan 23, 2017, 5:51:22 PM1/23/17
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Skylar, I will give the calculator a try.

Chris van Daalen
Northwest EcoBuilding Guild
Code Innovations Database

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM, <Passive...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Skylar Swinford <skylars...@gmail.com>: Jan 22 08:23PM -0800

Feel free to tweak the "payback" graphs contained in the attached Excel
document. The first sheet of the workbook will generate a graph based on
simple payback (including energy escalation). This graph will be very
similar to the example you posted. The graph on the second sheet
illustrates cumulative net present value. The graph font is Helvetica, so
I'm not sure how the graphs will display on a PC without it.

Before diving into the calculator, I'd highly recommending reading Graham
Irwin's great paper, *Financial Analysis Techniques for Passive House
<http://www.phius.org/Tools-Resources/TechCorner/201208-FinancialAnalysisforPH-GIrwin.pdf>*.
As the paper illustrates, using simple payback methods without assigning a
time value to savings can be misleading. On the flip side,
accurately selecting a discount rate and energy escalation rate is tricky
business. As someone smart said, "Prediction is very difficult, especially
about the future."

Regarding energy escalation rates, I typically use the EIA's Electricity
Data Browser
<http://www.eia.gov/electricity/data/browser/#/topic/7?agg=0,1&geo=010000000083&endsec=vg&linechart=ELEC.PRICE.OR-RES.A~ELEC.PRICE.OR-COM.A~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~&columnchart=ELEC.PRICE.ID-ALL.A&map=ELEC.PRICE.ID-ALL.A&freq=A&start=2001&end=2015&ctype=linechart&ltype=pin&rtype=s&pin=&rse=0&maptype=0>
to get a sense of how average retail energy rates have changed over time.
Values from the EIA's data browser can be plugged into the spreadsheet to
generate an escalation rate.

If you have trouble with the calculator or have recommendations for
improvements, please message me directly at sky...@energysys.co.

Skylar

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 11:18:48 AM UTC-6, NW EcoBuilding Guild
wrote:
Dylan Lamar <lamar...@gmail.com>: Jan 23 07:47AM -0800

Thanks for sharing these tools Skylar!

Dylan