Oregon Residential Code - Recirculating Vent Hoods Update

Benjamin Wolk-Weiss

May 17, 2017, 2:42:50 AM5/17/17
to Passive House Northwest
All,

I just wanted to pass on the good news that my code amendment proposal regarding kitchen vent hoods in the 2017 Oregon Residential Specialty Code was approved, thus allowing recirculating vent hoods to be installed in residential buildings as long as a whole house mechanical ventilation system is installed that provides the code required local exhaust rates: http://www.oregon.gov/bcd/committees/Pages/2017-res-comm-info.aspx and http://www.oregon.gov/bcd/codes-stand/Documents/17res-comm/res-17orsc-m1503-benjaminwolk.pdf

The 2017 Oregon Residential Code goes into effect October 1st, 2017.

This should make it easier for us Passive House people to use recirc range hoods with HRVs without having to submit alternative means and methods code requests with each project submitted. I worded the proposal specifically to address Passive House construction and to make sure that there is still mechanical ventilation from the kitchen that meets the CFM requirements as currently listed in the code, except now the HRV can provide this exhaust instead of relying on the range hood with the leaky dampers.

Adam Cohen

May 17, 2017, 7:21:04 AM5/17/17
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Way to go Ben!

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect MD, VT, NH & CO, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year
2013 Green Builder Green Home of the Year

If you would like to schedule an appointment with me please use this link to my Calendar

My Upcoming Presentations:
  • None
My Upcoming Classes:
  • None
I am limiting my travel to 5 days per month.  If you are interested in presentations or classes, please contact me for schedule openings.

EMAIL POLICY

In an effort to increase productivity, I answer email as follows:

Monday - Friday
  • a maximum of 1 hour in the AM (Before 10 AM EST)
  • no business email on Sat or Sun
YOU TUBE Channel, Passivhaus for Everyone, short 1-2 min illustrated explanatory videos

Commercial Passivhaus Consulting: http://passivscience.com/
Factory Built Passivhaus Component information: www.BuildSMARTna.com
High Performance Mechanical Engineering: http://www.staenglengineering.com//
High Performance Design: http://quantum-architects.com/

888.376.3424 (Build Smart office)

Dylan Lamar

May 17, 2017, 11:28:24 AM5/17/17
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
This is great news Benjamin. We have always had to appeal this issue in the past... nice to know that won't be necessary any more.

Thanks for your efforts!

Ben Wolk-Weiss, RA

May 17, 2017, 5:12:00 PM5/17/17
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys! I'm just glad that they accepted the approval. One more issue that we don't have to deal with when trying to get Passive Houses through the building departments.

Benjamin Wolk, RA, SHP,
CPHC®
LEED Green Associate
Zoetic Architecture

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Passive House Northwest" group.