Cardinal LowE-i89

Hayden Robinson

Sep 18, 2017, 10:25:32 PM9/18/17
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Hi, All.

I’m searching for replacement double-pane IGU’s.

Does anyone have experience, or council, to share regarding Cardinal LoE-i89?

It’s a number-4 surface coating for double-pane IGU’s.

Combined with argon and LoE2-272 it’s specs are: VT 70%, SHGC 0.41, U-0.20.

Combined with argon and LoE-180, it’s specs are: VT 77%, SHGC 0.61, U-0.21.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Hayden

Katy Hollbacher

Sep 19, 2017, 12:24:44 AM9/19/17
to passive...@googlegroups.com
The i89 coating really helps u-values, and as far as I know you can't do any better in double-pane (except perhaps with a lower conductivity gas than argon).

I'd consider one aspect before specifying: is the condensation resistance of the glazing unit still adequate for the climate? The added low-e coating reduces the surface temp of the interior surface. Ensuring a warm-edge spacer can help, but if this is for a very cold-climate project, condensation could be more of a risk compared to a non-i89 dual glazed unit.

Katy Hollbacher, P.E. - Principal, Beyond Efficiency Inc.
Empowering clients to create enduring human-centered buildings

710 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA 94710 | 415.236.1333
PO Box 9279, Jackson, WY 83002 | 307.200.7236