ductless vent hoods...recent experience?

Howie Oakes

May 23, 2016, 4:22:57 PM5/23/16
to passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi All-

Having some last minute cold feet about using the ductless range hood/ HRV approach in the house I am building. Does anyone have any recent feedback from projects where this approach has had issues? I am 99% sure this is the route I am taking but it would be relativity straightforward (at this point...tick,tick) to vent this directly out the wall behind the stove. I would most likely bring in MUA, not because the hood/stove is huge or anything but because I only have ~50cfm of leakage. Both the exhaust and MUA would be on 6" dampers, interlocked with the hood (along with the hrv boost).

The range is induction and we do occasionally stir fry, cook bacon, fry wings, etc...mmmm...I think need to go grab some lunch...

thanks,
Howie

Adam Cohen

May 23, 2016, 4:27:43 PM5/23/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Howie,

We have used both the Broan and Honeywell dampers for MUA and SA.  They leak in the closed position about 15-20 CFM per damper (we tested 4",6" and 8")

What do you do now when you burn popcorn?  Open windows?  That is an easy way to vent when you need it.

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect MD, VT, NH & CO, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year
2013 Green Builder Green Home of the Year

Sabbatical Alert - I will be on sabbatical June 20th - August 20th

My Upcoming Presentations:
I am limiting my travel to 5 days per month.  If you are interested in presentations, please contact me for schedule openings.

EMAIL POLICY

In an effort to increase productivity, I answer email as follows:

Monday - Friday
  •  a maximum of 1 hour in the AM (Before 10 AM EST)
  •  a maximum of 1 hour in the PM (After 5:30PM EST)
Sign up for our components newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/2MTDn

Commercial Passivhaus information: http://passivscience.com/
Factory Built Passivhaus Component information: www.BuildSMARTna.com
Passivhaus information: http://www.passivehousedesign.us/
More Passivhaus info: http://www.viking-house.us/
High Performance Design: http://quantum-architects.com/

888.376.3424 (Build Smart office)

Albert Rooks

May 23, 2016, 11:30:38 PM5/23/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howie,

Our induction cooktop with no direct vent hood is doing fine. I'm a horrible cook and burn things regularly. I've got 3 tubes venting the area by the kitchen and one nearby powder room that can run on boost to vent it out. It seems to work fine. The Burt pizza is gone even when we don't open windows.

For self preservation I should note that my wife is an excellent cook. I'm the poor one when fending for myself.

Albert.

Sent from my iPhone