Can't PHIUS succeed on its own merits?

email

Apr 30, 2015, 1:46:54 PM4/30/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Adam, you are too modest about your PHIUS leadership role.

Is it true really true that, in your experience, "the Passive House name connotes 1970's over glazed, overly massive, uncomfortable Passive Solar Residential" ? At a recent PHNW Board meeting, another PHIUS leader was insisting that Passive House is a meaningless generic, and that PHNW's definition of Passive House needed to be changed to include PHIUS+.

I get how genericizing Passive House make strategic sense for PHIUS. PHIUS+ has done a great job of branding itself. If it can muddy the waters so that Passive House doesn't mean anything, PHIUS+ becomes the only clear choice.

I also get that you've worked hard on PHIUS+. Let your efforts succeed through their own merits. Please respect the 100's of people that have asked you to do just that.

Yours, Hayden

Apr 30, 2015, 2:06:06 PM4/30/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hayden,

My role in PHIUS is as a thought leader and technical expert.

I happily have served as vice chair of the tech committee with a group of amazing volunteers with tremendous breadth of knowledge.  This is a committee that is a consensus based group that does some really tough and detailed work.  This requires a good bit of time on my part, but i feel i can contribute here as an expert in my area, and I continually learn from the other members.

I also co wrote and co teach the Builder Training with Dan and Mike.  This too is I feel is important work, I do not care what you call it, teaching folks to build high performance buildings moves the industry forward, even if they never build a PHI or PHIUS certified project, we teach how to build better, which is really important work.

That is my position, all volunteer, no policy or politics.  As you know, I express myself and speak truth to power (or perceived power) and i get in as much hot water by expressing my opinions in both PHI and PHIUS camps, but do not stop engaging or expressing my opinions.  i try my best to lead by example and as much as possible to only speak my opinion in a reasoned, respectful and non-inflammatory manner.

I happily put time into moving the movement forward, but think the political BS is just that - Horse Hockey.

Hayden, your recent comparison of the two systems was very nicely done, however you followed that up with a simple and frankly unhelpful summary of the two systems in two over simplified statements meant to be divisive.

I strongly encourage you to apply your considerable abilities to the higher road and to continue helpful and thoughtful dialogue and leave the over simplified platitude bomb throwing to others who do not have your intellectual ability.

With respect, @

Rob Harrison AIA

May 2, 2015, 4:35:07 PM5/2/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Adam wrote:
... the "market confusion" you [Hayden] speak of, in my experience does not exist regarding the name Passive House and PHI / PHIUS+, as much as it does that the Passive House name connotes 1970's over glazed, overly massive, uncomfortable Passive Solar Residential. This is the market confusion I deal with regularly.

This has been my experience as well. The public isn't confused by PHI vs PHIUS definitions of Passive House as much as they are by the reference (an acknowledgement of roots, as I recall Dr. Feist saying) to Passive Solar in the name. I can't tell you how many times over the last six years I've said "I do Passive House," and people have responded with "Oh--I lived in an underground house my parents built in the late 70's!" Denis Hayes, even--and a more learned and sophisticated person on the subject of low energy building you'd be hard pressed to find--said something along those lines when I met him for the first time at the Worldchanging Future City event in 2010. (Despite Bronwyn having given him the intro prior to that, back when she was a rep for Pazen Windows!)

It is my understanding directly from Dr. Feist (when that group of us had lunch with him when he was visiting Seattle last time) that he intends the term "Passive House" to be generic, to represent the approach, not the rating system. (Which is consistent with Kat's thoughts, as I understand it.) That's why we see the "40,000 Passive House projects" in Europe, of which something like 1,500--2,000 are certified, according to a Twitter conversation I had with Dr. Feist a couple years ago. Those 40,000 include projects done under a variety of standards.

So...let's let it go for now, and use whatever standard makes the most sense for each of our projects, and keep sharing amongst each other how and why and what for! The differences between the approaches are really interesting, and I LOVE the idea of testing the standards against each other over the next year as Adam has suggested. I'm psyched to have read these exchanges and I appreciate the passion and intelligence that has gone into them.

As I mentioned offline to Joe, it's easy to make a google-group "private." (Limit visibility to members.) I'd rather do that, and keep the discussion going, than have posts moderated for anti-PHI or anti-PHIUS content. That said, I am a little aggravated by how personal a few of the posts have been. We're all working on the same thing here. It has taken on some of the "angels on the head of a pin" aspect, IMO.

Onward!

Rob

Rob Harrison
Certified Passivhaus Designer + Consultant
HARRISON architects

lyrical sustainable design  ::  passive house plus