Alpen Windows in the NW?

Joshua Alexander Jewett

Aug 9, 2016, 2:08:54 PM8/9/16
to Passive House Northwest
Hey friends,

Has anyone had success with Alpen windows in the NW?

Or are there any other recommendations for a local manufacturer of high performance windows?

All my best,

Joshua Jewett

I Rok123

Aug 10, 2016, 2:10:39 AM8/10/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

pe...@bicyclehomebuilding.com

Aug 10, 2016, 4:34:53 PM8/10/16
to Passive House Northwest

I've used them a handful of times, going back to when they used to be called Serious Materials, and I like them a lot.  I haven't used them for any certified PH projects, (yet).  I prefer fiberglass frames and their prices are pretty great (especially since they include the painted frames in the price).  They're pretty basic, no-frills, American sliders, casements and awnings with your basic hardware.  They won't make your heart flutter like the sexy European windows.  On my current project I'm kind-of wishing I had more exposed exterior frame to work with-- I'm fighting hard to squeeze a 3/4" jamb in the space remaining between the RO and the opening pane of the awning/casement.  They offer a couple aluminum trim extrusions-- one of which would've worked on this project-- and I'm kind-of kicking myself for not getting that option.

Benjamin Wolk-Weiss

Aug 15, 2016, 8:11:47 PM8/15/16
to Passive House Northwest
I am using them on the Passive House I designed for our local Habitat for Humanity Chapter, which will be going for certification. What Bicycle Homebuilding said below pretty much sums it up. They are a basic window that performs better than your standard American windows. They are nowhere near as sexy as the European windows. We haven't installed them yet or gone through certification, but they do work in the WUFI model at least. They do have good customer service with good response times from the reps and they were very helpful in answering questions and concerns that we had. One of the windows had damage (scratches) on the casement locking hardware and they quickly sent out a replacement with no hassle.

I think they are a good option if you want to use casement windows instead of tilt-turn but I don't think they are nice enough for use in high-end construction.

Benjamin Wolk-Weiss

Russ Hellem

Aug 16, 2016, 5:58:14 PM8/16/16
to Passive House Northwest
Joshua,

We have extensive experience with Alpen as well as Glo Windows and other Windows manufactured in Europe. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the various systems with you. Feel free to call my office @ 406-721-2741

Regards,
Russ Hellem
Energetechs

I Rok123

Aug 17, 2016, 8:45:35 PM8/17/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
I actually sell, service and install Euroline. They are better overall, but pricier than Alpen, Zola or Intus. But is a made here in BC, Canada, and they perform Very Very well. But, usually you get what you have paid for.

Regards
Mario

mrkozz

Aug 19, 2016, 4:17:52 PM8/19/16
to Passive House Northwest
We used HH Windows in Seattle in our recent  PH project.   Hannes there is the owner and they do a really fantastic job!  Not the cheapest, but real well built and lovely windows!.
http://hhwindows.com/

Scott Kosmecki
Hinge-Build.com

I Rok123

Aug 19, 2016, 7:23:00 PM8/19/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hannes is good, I know him very well. he cares about what comes out of his production. He recommended me few times for some installations, and service ( I know about T+T windows a lot, used to make them in Germany for 8 years). HH is a good window to go with if you are looking for real wood/ wood clad.

Joshua Alexander Jewett

Aug 24, 2016, 12:47:08 PM8/24/16
to Passive House Northwest
Thank you, everyone! This has all been very helpful in my pursuit of great glazing options. I'll keep you all posted on developments as I dive deeper into these.

Best,
Joshua
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to PassiveHouseN...@googlegroups.com.

Tad Everhart

Sep 22, 2016, 11:25:52 PM9/22/16
to Passive House Northwest
We've enjoyed Alpen 925 windows in our Passive House since March, 2010.  Feel free to call if you have questions.  Tad Everhart, Portland  503 239 8961

Joe Giampietro

Sep 23, 2016, 10:54:24 AM9/23/16
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Joshua,
I installed Alpen 925 Windows (Serious Windows at that time) on my first passive house, the mini-B, in 2011.  They have performed well.
All the best!
Joe Giampietro