New Screw for mineral wool.

Albert Rooks

Jul 1, 2015, 9:10:19 PM7/1/15
to Passive House NW GG
Hi all,

Just a quick note on the subject of applying mineral wool to wood frame assemblies.

Some may recall that I was able to convince a US screw manufacturer to run a test quantity of screws that had a thread pattern that would apply 1-1/2” to  2” of mineral wool to walls without compressing the batten. The test worked and they ran a few hundred which also worked. The sad thing was that this was in the depth of the economic melt down and my contact at the factory was downsized and the project abandoned.

This last year seems to be the "year of mineral wool”. I see it growing in use for Passive House as near PH projects.  Due to the popularity, I worked on getting these screws made for the smaller thicknesses. I'm happy to say that the first 25,000 screws are made, plated, and on the way  here from Germany. A picture is attatched.

Btw… This is only one way to attach it. I’ve also heard people having good luck by just using deck screws which are far cheaper.

And… I also found a new PHI certified system which will work from 4" to 12” on wood, steel and concrete.

Enjoy the good weather.

Albert Rooks