What's the difference?

1 view

Hayden Robinson

Apr 25, 2015, 3:20:25 AM4/25/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Passive House and PHIUS+ have areas of overlap, but fundamentally different goals, approaches, and expectations. In order to understand the differences, I've made a start at a broadest-terms characterization of the two. I think the comparison is accurate, but I'm a building-enclosure guy, so let me know if that lens colors things. I'd be curious to hear your take.

Goals

For Passive House, Passive House itself is the thing: focus on great building-enclosure performance leads to a great-performing enclosure. ­­Cost competitiveness, compared to PV, does not inform the criteria.1, 2

PHIUS+ positions itself as part of D.O.E.'s Zero Energy Ready Home program3 by synthesizing aspects of Passive House, ZERH, and BEopt cost analysis.4,5 For PHIUS+, net zero is the goal, and enclosure performance is a means to achieving it.6 With the inclusion of renewables in mind, PHIUS+ enclosure-performance criteria are sensitive to the comparative cost of PV.7

Approaches

Passive House does one thing, and it does it well. It sets a high bar and  has an uncompromising, so-what-if-it's-hard approach. Building a small house in a cold climate? That's what insulation's for.

PHIUS+ is inclusive and accommodating. It responds to criticisms that Passive House is too hard for single-family homes and challenging climates, and that it ignores PV as a cost-effective alternative to building-enclosure performance. It also includes builder input with respect to market demand.8 Building a small house, in a cold climate, and having a tough time making it pencil? PHIUS+ understands and has you covered.

Expectations

Passive House uses German-norms as a basis for determining reasonable effort and cost. The result is world-class quality, and in terms of envelope, Passive House buildings are among the very best. This makes them exceptionally efficient, resilient and dependable.

PHUIS+ embraces the different expectations of the U.S. market,9 and its criteria are calibrated accordingly. As a result, PHIUS+ enclosure performance is quite high by American standards, but sometimes well below Passive House.

Want even broader terms?

For most of history, thermal performance was a fundamental: buildings were shaped by climate, and form and typology  where expressions of place. The 20th century's abundant energy and sophisticated mechanical technology brought freedom from the demands of comfort and constraints of climate. This created opportunities for new form and expression, but at a cost. Releasing thermal performance as a constraint meant abandoning it as a dimension of purpose and meaning, so that architecture became both richer and poorer. One fallout was its contribution to the everywhere-sameness that characterizes much of  contemporary global culture.

From a Passive House perspective, once again the building itself is the thing, and Anchorage and Key West are called to be different.

In comparison, through its embrace of abundant energy (albeit renewable) PHIUS+ is rooted firmly in 20th and 21st-century attitudes. It is the high-tech response to Passive House's old-is-the-new-new approach.

In the (Passive House) cost-effectiveness model the cost of photovoltaic (PV) was not taken into account either. (Wright , Klingenberg, Pettit:  Climate-Specific Passive Building Standards, p.8, Building America Report - 1405, March 2015)

2  Therefore the (Passive House) standard’s cost effectiveness argument does not take the goal of achieving zero energy into account or the investment to get there. (p.8)

The refined climate-specific passive building standard is proposed as the basis for the next generation Zero Energy Ready Home. (p.6)

1.4 Synthesizing program characteristics

The baselines for this study’s efforts are:

The original low-peak-load approach brought forward by the North American passive

house pioneers.

The European guiding energy metrics applied by the current PHIUS+/ZERH program.

Cost data and optimization algorithms used by BEopt.

This study will draw on aspects of all three approaches and synthesize them into a climate specific

passive building standard that will guide the design process towards an exceptional level

of energy efficiency, cost-competitiveness and thermal comfort for the next generation ZERH. (p.18)

The characteristics and energy reduction goals of two high-performance building programs were

reviewed and synthesized: The peak load criterion and the limit on annual source energy demand

of the passive house standard, and the approach of ZERH and BEopt of cost-optimizing

conservation versus generation measures." (p. 45)

The goal: a simple yet fine-grained, performance-based design methodology, that guides the designer to identify the most cost-effective path to zero at the greatest overall benefits to both building owners and society. (p.6)

7 The space conditioning criteria for passive building should reflect an economical balance between conservation and generation measures on the path to zero energy. (p.8)

Also, feedback was solicited from builders of high-performance homes, asking them what was

the best they could practically do in their market and which study configuration most resembled

it. Input from six locations was received and incorporated, and generally speaking confirmed that

the heuristic was reasonable. (p. 35)

9  It is critical to acknowledge the reality of the different cost picture in North America. (p.8)

Hayden Robinson Zertifizierter Passivhausdesigner

hayden robinson architect

206.691.3445

Adam Cohen

Apr 25, 2015, 7:51:52 AM4/25/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Nicely put Hayden.

Two short notes:
  1. I think we are seeing some changes with the new PER system in PH.  There is a slight bit more flexibility in the HD metrics as they have taken a small "sliding scale" approach that allows some offset from PV.
  2. I think the PHIUS + Std is less aimed at net zero and more directly aimed at carbon reduction and specifically aimed at a per person "fair share" concept, which is a significant innovation in a building carbon reduction strategy.
I believe this is a very exciting time to be in our industry as both standards are currently innovating and creating opportunity for moving the field forward.

I suggest running all your projects in parallel, I am doing this, to compare and contrast, to find the sweet spots for each persons environment to make the best, most affordable and world changing projects we can.

~ Cheers!

Adam Cohen
Certified Passivhaus Consultant - North America and Europe
Registered Architect MD, VT, NH & CO, LEED AP, NAHB Green Professional
Design/Builder of the First US Passivhaus Public School Building
2012 VSBN Green Designer of the Year
2013 Green Builder Green Home of the Year

EMAIL POLICY

In an effort to increase productivity, I answer email as follows:

Monday - Friday
  •  a maximum of 1 hour in the AM (Before 10 AM EST)
  •  a maximum of 1 hour in the PM (After 5:30PM EST)
Sign up for our components newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/2MTDn

Web site: www.structuresdb.com
Commercial Passivhaus information: http://passivscience.com/
Factory Built Passivhaus Component information: http://www.passivstructures.com/
Passivhaus information: http://www.passivehousedesign.us/
More Passivhaus info: http://www.viking-house.us/
High Performance Design: http://quantum-architects.com/

Hayden Robinson

Apr 25, 2015, 9:33:24 PM4/25/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Adam,

I seems like, in Passive House/PHIUS+ conversations, we all often get stuck criticizing the other approach based on the goals and context of our own. We end up sounding like long jumpers arguing that high jumpers don't jump far enough.

I don't have a Passipedia subscription and haven't learned much about PER. Being a building-enclosure guy, I was relieved to find a PHI press release and a public Passipedia article saying that Passive House heating demand criteria remain unchanged. But it sounds like you have different information, and I suspect you got to the Passive House conference and were able to talk to PHI. I'm trying to remaining open minded, but still keeping my fingers crossed that you're wrong.  ;)

-Hayden

Hayden Robinson Zertifizierter Passivhausdesigner

hayden robinson architect

206.691.3445

http://gdurl.com/29AF/download  http://gdurl.com/Uw0N/download  http://gdurl.com/Q6qb   http://gdurl.com/m-YA/download  http://www.passivstructures.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/passivstructures-big-logo.png

image011.jpg
image012.jpg
image013.jpg
image014.jpg
image015.png

Adam Cohen

Apr 26, 2015, 7:56:40 AM4/26/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
"We end up sounding like long jumpers arguing that high jumpers don't jump far enough."

Nicely put  again Hayden

Hayden as far as the PER, the way i understand it is that there is slight amount of offset in the PER calculation that allows the designer to opt for a bit more or less building efficiency vs renewable.   I only had a half day intro, so i could have that wrong, but this is my understanding: The basic HD stays at 15 but you can "massage" that a bit with the new PER calculations.  i may have it wrong, but unfortunately, we won't see the English SI version of PHPP 9, which has the PER included, for a number of months, and as far as an IP version, I do not have a clue as to when that may or may not be available.

As an aside, as a 30+ year renewable and off grid guy, i have been envisioning a world with a 100% renewable grid for a long time and have had many long thoughts about how this may work.  I asked Wolfgang to send along any papers they release with the PER algorithms  explanations and reasoning. i am excited that they have actually not only envisioned this, but have put a concept into practice.  i want to understand how they see the grid and how they configure the PER factors.  Since I have been thinking about this, I have rarely met anyone that has put the kind of in depth thought and quantification that the new PER concept appears to do, and i want to know and understand how they have done it.

To that end, it is likely that the first papers will be in German, so if there are any German speakers that would be willing to help translate i would appreciate it.  I have translated the PHI papers in Google translate before and it is a drag.  Please let me know if anyone would be up for this when it is time.

~ cheers! @

Bronwyn Barry

Apr 27, 2015, 4:47:46 PM4/27/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hayden,

You don't need a subscription to read most of the stuff on Passipedia.  Here's a link to a recently posted article on the new PER ratings, including a comparison of the old and new methodology for calculating Primary Energy and Primary Energy Renewables.  The 'Classic' rating remains essentially the same, so you can happily remain an 'envelope guy.'  Plus and Premium require just as much efficiency, if not more, so you now have the option to become a 'super envelope guy.'  The Primary Energy ratings for the 'Classic' transfer into the new PER and amount to virtually the same for most buildings, with the exception of higher PER 'factors' assigned to biofuel and natural gas.  Those items have higher costs to our planet than are currently being calculated.

From attending the same workshop as Adam, I understood that the Heating Demand criteria will remain the same.  The flexibility Adam is referring to is in Primary Energy calculation, which will allow for a small window of flexibility if some (or more) renewables are added.  I'm attaching a screen shot I took in the workshop when Jessica Grove-Smith was explaining this.  There is some ambiguity though, as the slide does show a +-15 kWh/m2 tfa per yr PER Demand at the top.  Perhaps we should have PHI clarify this? (I'll ask.)

It will be some time before this is implemented in the English-speaking world.  An English version of the PHPP that incorporates the new PER calculation will only be released on an unspecified date in the 'Fall.'  PHI has said they will allow the older certification to be used for at least a year beyond that, to accommodate a smooth transition.  Feedback is welcome during this transitional period.  The item I'm most excited about is that PER factors will be calculated based on regional grids and are adjusted when each local climate data set is selected. This makes them country- and regional-specific.

Regards,
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Barry, CPHD, Assoc. AIA
Certified Passive House Consultant
Director - One Sky Homes
t: @passivehouseBB and @oneskyhomes

IMG_4196.JPG

Adam Cohen

Apr 28, 2015, 11:19:24 AM4/28/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com
What I understood was that the +-15 kWh/m2 tfa per yr PER Demand at the top meant that in the classic level there was a slight (emphasis on slight) amount of flexibility in the HS number with PE offset.  We will have to see when we get the Version 9.

I am most interested in getting the papers on the PER algorithms to see the concept and implementation protocols and assumptions.  i asked earlier if there are any German speakers willing to help with translation once these are published (assuming they will be in German first) no one has stepped up yet - so please do step up as i really do not want to have to Google Translate this, (but will if no other option is presented)

Alexander Boetzel

Apr 28, 2015, 11:38:32 AM4/28/15
to Passive...@googlegroups.com

Granted,that I have now lived in the US long enough to ensure my German is a deficient as my English, I am happy to help with translations.

(Of course, turnaround will depend on number, size and technicality of the documents:)

Alex Boetzel | COO | CPHC
p: 503.804.1746 x 120 | f: 503.232.7924
1323 SE 6th Avenue | Portland, Oregon 97214

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Bronwyn Barry bronwyn...@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi Hayden,

You don't need a subscription to read most of the stuff on Passipedia. Here's
a link to a recently posted article on the new PER ratings

and a public Passipedia article

saying that Passive House heating demand criteria remain unchanged. But it
sounds like you have different information, and I suspect you got to the
Passive House conference and were able to talk to PHI. I'm trying to
remaining open minded, but still keeping my fingers crossed that you're
wrong. ;)

-Hayden

Hayden Robinson Zertifizierter **Passivhausdesigner

hayden robinson architect

206.691.3445 <206.691.3445>

[...]

1 In the (Passive House) cost*-effectiveness model the cost of

photovoltaic (PV) was not taken into account either.

(Wright ,
Klingenberg, Pettit: * Climate-Specific Passive Building Standards,

p.8, Building America Report - 1405, March 2015)

2 Therefore the (Passive House) standard's cost effectiveness argument
does not take the goal of achieving zero energy into account or the
investment to get there.
(p.8)

3 *The refined climate-specific passive building standard is proposed
as the basis for the next generation Zero Energy Ready Home. *(p.6)

4 1.4 Synthesizing program characteristics

The baselines for this study's efforts are:

·* The original low-peak-load approach brought forward by the North
American passive*

house pioneers.

·* The European guiding energy metrics applied by the current
PHIUS+/ZERH program.*

·* Cost data and optimization algorithms used by BEopt.*

This study will draw on aspects of all three approaches and synthesize
them into a climate specific

passive building standard that will guide the design process towards an
exceptional level

*of energy efficiency, cost-competitiveness and thermal comfort for the
next generation ZERH. *(p.18)

5 **The characteristics and energy reduction goals of two
high-performance building programs were

reviewed and synthesized: The peak load criterion and the limit on
annual source energy demand

of the passive house standard, and the approach of ZERH and BEopt of
cost-optimizing

*conservation versus generation measures." *(p. 45)

6 The goal: a simple yet fine-grained, performance-based design

2012 VSBN http://www.vsbn.org/ Green Designer of the Year

[...]

540.312.8400 (cell)

[image011.jpg]

[image015.png]