POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY last week to join the E-Book Free-For-All!

Rick Lupert

Nov 21, 2015, 1:25:57 PM11/21/15
to psh...@googlegroups.com
Poetry Super Highway
  • Last Week to Join the Great E-Book Free-For-All!
    24 e-books have been sent in for the Poetry Super Highway's 11th Annual Great E-Book Free-For-All since we announced it last week. Join in! Send us your e-book during the month of November and we'll add it to the pile of e-books which will be freely available to download by anyone on earth for 24 hours on December 1st, 2015...a free-for-all. More info? Click HERE for all the details.

THE POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY WEEKLY VIRTUAL UPDATE
PoetrySuperHighway.com | Facebook | Twitter
Issue # 939 - ISSN: 1523-6587.

November 23-29, 2015

this week:

POETS OF THE WEEK

This week's featured poets are: R. Gerry Fabian and Adam Middleton-Watts:

R. Gerry Fabian (Doylestown, Pennsylvania) is a retired English instructor. He has been publishing poetry since 1972 in various poetry magazines. He is the editor of Raw Dog Press. His novel, Memphis Masquerade, is available at Smashwords and all other ebook stores.

Adam Middleton-Watts (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) is an oddball British expat. When he’s not dissolving in the midst of a savage summer or fattening up for the next brutal winter, he’s writing poems and stories on the backs of unpaid utility bills and drinking too much dark ale. He has had words printed in many a magazine, and can tell a bison from a handsaw.

Read their work HERE.

NEW POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LINKS

Here are all of the new sites added to the Poetry Super Highway's Poetry and Writing links sections:

Find thousands more links to poetry and writing websites in our online Link Directory. Click HERE to add your poetry/writing website to our directory.

New Online Poetry Resources Listings This Week:

Connecticut Poetry Society
The Connecticut Poetry Society (CPS), an affiliate of the National Federation of Poetry Societies (NFSPS), is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion and enjoyment of poetry.

Subsynchronous Press
Subsynchronous Press is a small-press poetry publisher, established in 2000 in Tucson, AZ, with the hopes of filling a gap in the local poetry scene — a gaping gap that was the absence of a regular, local poetry magazine. We have since been publishing poems from all corners of the United States, and from all over the world as well.

Iowa City Poetry
Iowa City's Source for Poetry Events.

New Online Publications Listings This Week:

Four Chambers Press
An independent community literary magazine based in Phoenix, AZ whose mission is to give greater visibility to the literary arts and encourage their larger participation in the cultural scene.

POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY BOOKSTORE

The Paris Review Book: of Heartbreak, Madness, Sex, Love, Betrayal, Outsiders, Intoxication, War, Whimsy, Horrors, God, Death, Dinner, Baseball, ... and Everything Else in the World Since 1953The Paris Review Book: of Heartbreak, Madness, Sex, Love, Betrayal, Outsiders, Intoxication, War, Whimsy, Horrors, God, Death, Dinner, Baseball, ... and Everything Else in the World Since 1953 by The Paris Review with an Introduction by George Plimpton featured this week in the PSH Bookstore.

While this volume's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink title may seem to imply an odd combination of editorial insecurity or pretension, it only takes one spin through the table of contents to know why the editors felt the need for such a busy, bursting name. This astoundingly diverse anthology, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Paris Review, is jam-packed with resonant and provocative work from some of our greatest writers, past and present: W.H. Auden, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Jack Kerouac, Elizabeth Bishop, Truman Capote, William Burroughs, Susan Sontag, Joyce Carol Oates, Toni Morrison, Jonathan Franzen, Ian McEwan and Alice Munro, to name just a fraction. Rather than relying on critics to illuminate the craft of writing secondhand, the founders inaugurated a series of interviews with the authors themselves, creating what Plimpton, in his introduction, refers to as "a DNA of literature"; several excerpts from those interviews are included here. A look at the eras and themes represented shows that the journal's only abiding mandate has been an evolving brand of artistic humanism, which has morphed and adapted to the changing times. How else can one explain being able to jump with such joy and ease from a hilarious and poignant story by Lorrie Moore to an interview with Ted Hughes about his first meeting with Sylvia Plath, then to Allen Ginsberg's loving, sexually charged poem about the life and death of Frank O'Hara? It is a tribute to Plimpton and his cofounders that the entries in this wonderful book can be read in any order, for the reader will be able to see his or her life reflected on every page.

Click here for more and to order

Paperback, 928 pages, Picador, September, 2004

UPCOMING POETRY SUPER HIGHWAY LIVE EVENTS

PSH LiveWe host a monthly, live, online open reading and other special shows which you can listen to and participate in here: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/

If you can't make the live time, you can also listen to any past show by visiting http://poetrysuperhighway.com/psh/psh-live/ and clicking on the show's title. (As well as subscribe to all of our shows through iTunes or any other software you use to listen to podcasts.

Upcoming Shows:

December 2015 Worldwide Open Reading
Sunday, December 20, 2015 ~ 2:00 pm (pacific)!

Join Poetry Super Highway’s monthly online open poetry reading. Tune in to listen to poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on calling in to read a poem live on the air. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world!

Recently Archived broadcasts:

November 2015 Worldwide Open Reading
Sunday, November 15, 2015

Join Poetry Super Highway’s monthly online open poetry reading. Tune in to listen to poets from all over the world read their poetry. Better yet, plan on calling in to read a poem live on the air. No content or style restrictions. Use it as an opportunity to promote your new poetry book or project and let us know what’s happening in your local poetry world!

PSH Poetry Contest Winners Announcement
Sunday, October 18, 2015

We announced the winners of our 2015 Poetry Super Contest here. The show began with comments from our contest judges, and this is the only place to learn who placed in the top 10 positions. Listen to the archived edition to hear a few of the folks from those top 10 spots read their poems!

September 2015 Worldwide Open Reading
Sunday, September 20, 2015

The monthly Poetry Super Highway open reading, MC’d by Poetry Super Highway’s Rick Lupert, featured callers from Canada, Australis, Chicago, Montclair, New Jersey, Camarillo, California, Evanston Illinois, Kansas City, Missouri, and Birmingham, Alabama. We also closed out the show with a rebroadcast of Rick Lupert’s interview by Daniel Lisi on the IndiFeed Podcast, in which Rick read a poem from his new book "Making Love to the 50 Ft. Woman" from Rotho Press.

Poetry Super Highway Live would love to host your reading, interview, contest promotion or other poetry/writing related show. Please e-mail your show idea to Ri...@PoetrySuperHighway.com, and we'll take it from there.

POETRY CLASSIFIEDS

For information on placing Poetry Related classifieds ads on the Poetry Super Highway website and weekly e-mail newsletter, send an e-mail to: class...@PoetrySuperHighway.com

Winning WritersTWO CONTESTS NOW OPEN AT WINNING WRITERS

Avoid the rush at deadline time. Two of our annual contests are open now. Each accepts published as well as unpublished work. Winners are promoted online and in our email newsletter, with over 50,000 subscribers. We are one of the "101 Best Websites for Writers" (Writer's Digest).

Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest
No fee, $2,250 in prizes, April 1 deadline
https://www.winningwriters.com/wergle

Tom Howard/John H. Reid Fiction & Essay Contest
$18 fee, $4,000 in prizes, April 30 deadline
https://www.winningwriters.com/tomstory

For writing resources and contest opportunities, join our 54,000 followers on Twitter at @winningwriters
... Alex M. Frankel

Read Poet Alex M. Frankel's Blog

Poet, critic, and iconoclast Alex M. Frankel (host of the long-running Second Sunday Poetry Series) blogs at www.alexmfrankel.com. Latest post: New Books by Jack Bowman and Sherman Pearl. Send him your new poetry book for possible review on his blog, where he also comments on fiction, nonfiction, theatre, culture, and current events, among other topics. Contact Alex at alexmfra...@att.net, or tweet him @alexmfrankel.

Poets, Writer, Dreamers!

DREAM QUEST ONE POETRY & WRITING CONTEST is open to anyone who loves expressing innermost thoughts and feelings into the beautiful literary art of poetry and/or writing a story that is worth telling everyone!

Guidelines: (1) Write a poem, 30 lines or fewer on any subject, form or style. And/or (2) Write a short story, 5 pages maximum length, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme, fiction, non-fiction, or creative nonfiction. Multiple entries are accepted.

Prizes:Writing First Prize is $500; Second: $250; Third: $100.
Poetry First Prize: $250; Second: $125; Third: $50.

Entry fees: $5 per poem/$10 per story.

Postmark deadline: January 24, 2016

How to enter, visit: http://www.dreamquestone.com

Affordable Website Hosting

Publish your book with CreateSpace

Making Love to the 50 Ft. Woman, Poems 1998-2015, Rick Luperts 17th BookMaking Love to the 50 Ft. Woman, Poems 1998-2015, Rick Luperts 17th Book

With a foreword by Brendan Constantine

Rick Lupert’s seventeenth poetry collection, Making Love to the 50 Ft. Woman (Rothco Press, May 2015), is the long awaited follow up to, and first collection of Lupert’s selected works since, 1997’s I am My Own Orange County. Lupert’s poetry exists at the intersections of the wise and the ridiculous, the spectacular and the mundane. The humor and deeper themes throughout his work will win over the generations of people who’ve come to regard poetry as an inaccessible literary art. These poems, written over the last two decades, have been widely published in dozens of journals, zines, and anthologies from all over the world. They’re rooted in the every day Los Angeles experience and take you through fatherhood, traffic, love, death, and the inevitable experience of finding a wrapped sausage on the sidewalk. You’ll learn how to kiss, you’ll meet the cutest leaf in the world, you’ll say goodbye to Pete Seeger and Robin Williams, you may even relive your own childhood. Get ready to Make Love to the Fifty Ft. Woman. Don’t wear anything complicated.

Click here to read poetry from Making Love to the 50 Ft. Woman and get your copy.

Authors, Share Your Book with Millions of Readers

Publish and sell your book, music or film on Amazon.com and other channels using free tools from CreateSpace. Get started.

Lupert: It's The Website - & - Poetry Super Highway
http://PoetrySuperHighway.com/