Fun with Number Theory, The Game of Life

1 vue

Joseph McCard

non lue,
22 juil. 2017, 10:05:0322/07/2017
à Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D.
Bruno,

"As I say on the back cover of my book "To Die For" (see attachment), science won't accept a physical theory of consciousness, the paranormal or the possibility of an afterlife until it can provide a new physical context for them in the form of a truly unified field theory that combines the quantum and relativity, and that would be revolutionary. ​..." (so, Ok, I lost track of the author of this quote) (Bruno)

The field would be a psychological field,, with all that entails, infinite possibility, conscious, natural logic not phil logic.

Can we use number theory to express such a field? it would entail numbers that are conscious (Leibniz's Monads?), and his logic laws (the law of contradiction, the law of excluded middle, the principle of identity, that follow the Laws of the Inner Universe (durability, spontaneity, value fulfillment, and transformation, conservation of consciousness, intent,...),number lines that consist of parallel possible numbers, a natural logic that is associative, and does not entail causality, space or time. For example, If...then statements. My understanding is that consciousness can best be represented by a filed, call it  a psychological consciousness filed.

"What has been proved is that IF the brain works like a machine at some level of description, THEN the *only* way to solve the mind-body problem will be in explaining, and mathematically deriving, the whole of physics from number theory. Assuming the existence of a physical universe cannot work to explain the appearance of a physical universe. So, with mechanism, the unified theory does not belong to physics, but to theology (in the greek sense, not in the more particular sense of this or that religion).

Whatayathink?

"To put "energy" at its foundation seems still too much physicalist, but perhaps "energy" is used by you as a poetical term?" (Bruno)

What is your conception of energy? Why physical, and only physical.

"The universal machine (the one called "computer" when we implement it physically) is maximally intelligent. It is born enlightened. We can only make it more stupid, but it will take a long time before it becomes as stupid as the adult self-called homo sapiens. In a sense, we must force its soul to sin and to forget who she (or it) is. Then it will develop the many (fake or insane) certainties, and it will hide the doubts and the modesty. Its soul will fall and enter the Samsara cycle of birth an death."

I'm thinking this universal machine can be modeled using an expanded "The Game of Life" approach.

joe

Bruno Marchal

non lue,
23 juil. 2017, 12:07:0623/07/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
On 22 Jul 2017, at 15:40, Joseph McCard wrote:

Bruno,

"As I say on the back cover of my book "To Die For" (see attachment), science won't accept a physical theory of consciousness,

Unfortunately, academics favor the materialist neuro-philosohy, which eventually eliminates consciousness and the person.

If mechanism is correct, there is no physical science of consciousness, but there is a science of consciousness which might explain speical claases of sharable dreams).

the paranormal or the possibility of an afterlife

Genuine science is neutral, and to say afterlife does not exist is as much unscientific than asserting it does. In any case, it will depend on the assumption, and note that with both Digital mechanism, and quantum mechanics without collapse, or even with just simple logic, it is the possibility of first person death which is questioned.

The problem is that the filed of theology has not yet come back to the academy of science. We are still in the Middle-Age. We cannot yet say that 2+2=4, in that field. That separates the exact sciences and the human sciences, making them both less exact, and less human, I'm afraid.

until it can provide a new physical context for them in the form of a truly unified field theory that combines the quantum and relativity, and that would be revolutionary. ​..." (so, Ok, I lost track of the author of this quote) (Bruno)

I love QM and relativity, but it has nothing to do with consciousness a priori. Physics is an invariant of Number dream. It has to be if we assume that the brain does not involves magic, or actual infinities.

The field would be a psychological field,, with all that entails, infinite possibility, conscious, natural logic not phil logic.

Mechanism favor one precise modal logic, which might be called arithmetical philosophy. But the full first order logic is much more complex than the arithmetical truth. from inside, the logical complexity is unboundable.

Can we use number theory to express such a field? it would entail numbers that are conscious (Leibniz's Monads?),

Yes. The universal numbers. The code of Turing universal machinery. They have many "names": fortran, lisp, number, combinators, game-of-life, etc.

and his logic laws (the law of contradiction, the law of excluded middle, the principle of identity, that follow the Laws of the Inner Universe (durability, spontaneity, value fulfillment, and transformation, conservation of consciousness, intent,...),number lines that consist of parallel possible numbers, a natural logic that is associative, and does not entail causality, space or time. For example, If...then statements. My understanding is that consciousness can best be represented by a filed, call it  a psychological consciousness filed.

I am not sure why. Geometrical image are still too much 3p. The (universal) 1p is out of physics and geometry, although it can recovered it easily.

"What has been proved is that IF the brain works like a machine at some level of description, THEN the *only* way to solve the mind-body problem will be in explaining, and mathematically deriving, the whole of physics from number theory. Assuming the existence of a physical universe cannot work to explain the appearance of a physical universe. So, with mechanism, the unified theory does not belong to physics, but to theology (in the greek sense, not in the more particular sense of this or that religion).

Whatayathink?

I refer to my work. here is a summary:

My last papers:

Marchal B. The computationalist reformulation of the mind-body problem. Prog Biophys Mol Biol; 2013 Sep;113(1):127-40

Marchal B. The Universal Numbers. From Biology to Physics, Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 2015, Vol. 119, Issue 3, 368-381.

"To put "energy" at its foundation seems still too much physicalist, but perhaps "energy" is used by you as a poetical term?" (Bruno)

What is your conception of energy? Why physical, and only physical.

Energy is the number 0. The equation of the physical universe might just be H = 0.

But here I cheat and look at what the physicists say (and *they* cheat because they observe the physical universe). But to get both the quanta and the qualia, you have to observe yourself up to the roots of qualia and quanta, and then compare the quanta in your head and the quanta you observe, and if it match, then, if mechanism is correct you get the correct theory of qualia (which extends the theory of quanta (the quanta are sort of first person plural qualia).

You can also program a universal machine to do that, and any machine, sound enough, will get it. There is a rich mathematics of self-reference which mirrors this.

"The universal machine (the one called "computer" when we implement it physically) is maximally intelligent. It is born enlightened. We can only make it more stupid, but it will take a long time before it becomes as stupid as the adult self-called homo sapiens. In a sense, we must force its soul to sin and to forget who she (or it) is. Then it will develop the many (fake or insane) certainties, and it will hide the doubts and the modesty. Its soul will fall and enter the Samsara cycle of birth an death."

I'm thinking this universal machine can be modeled using an expanded "The Game of Life" approach.

Conway's Game of Life is a universal number too. But it has already "physicalist" appearance, with local dimensional action. But the theology of the universal number does not depend on any universal number you assume. So, to cheat the less, it is best to start from the less "looking physical". We could assume a quantum computer (they too are universal number), but either it would be cheating (and we would not see the qualia), or it will be a pedagogical error, and quite confusing when extracting the quanta from self-reference, and the qualia could be blurred.

All universal numbers imitate all universal numbers. yet, relatively to each others, they can develop quite different beliefs, and literally lose themselves in a gigantic web of dreams.

Bruno

joe

--
----------------------------
Fifth International Conference

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/f53a12c4-c1c9-49b7-a6ad-bc2d779b52a9%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Hankey

non lue,
23 juil. 2017, 16:33:0023/07/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Bruno, there is no need for neuroscience to 'eliminate consciousness'.
It only has to come to terms with the hundreds of papers on criticality in the cortex.
W.H. Freeman was a pioneer in this regard.

----------------------------
[...]

Alex Hankey M.A. (Cantab.) PhD (M.I.T.)
Distinguished Professor of Yoga and Physical Science,
SVYASA, Eknath Bhavan, 19 Gavipuram Circle
Bangalore 560019, Karnataka, India
Mobile (Intn'l): +44 7710 534195
Mobile (India) +91 900 800 8789

Bruno Marchal

non lue,
24 juil. 2017, 05:47:3324/07/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

On 23 Jul 2017, at 21:58, Alex Hankey wrote:

Bruno, there is no need for neuroscience to 'eliminate consciousness'.
It only has to come to terms with the hundreds of papers on criticality in the cortex.
W.H. Freeman was a pioneer in this regard.

But those papers assume mechanism, often implicitly. When rigorous, this does eliminate consciousness if the brain itself is not explained in term of consciousness at some point (which mechanism succeeds, I would argue, in doing, up to now).

And that is perhaps also why many neuro-philosophers *do* eliminate consciousness, like the Churchland or Dennett.

Some keep consciousness as an epiphenomenon, but this still eliminate the person and its will.

It is simpler to eliminate physicalism, and explain the appearance of matter in term of person and experiences. At least, that leads to testable and improvable theories.

Some people confuse the evidence for a physical reality, which are numerous, with an evidence for a primary physical reality, which is only a very speculative axiom in metaphysics, and which has been shown incompatible with the idea that a brain is a natural machinery.

Bruno

Alex Hankey

non lue,
24 juil. 2017, 09:18:3124/07/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Bruno, the Main Point about complexity, which I think Stuart Kauffman now also accepts,
is that because mechanical systems give fixed responses to a series of fixed stimuli,
but physiological systems give the (1/f) distributions of responses, as in 'pink noise',
they do not behave like mechanical systems.

To a physicist, these seems a transparently obvious point. But I do find that colleagues
who are not trained in theoretical physics (and even some who seem to think they are!)
find it opaque. But most of those with whom I have had the chance to sit down and
talk it through in detail with time to get all questions answered, do come round to agreeing with me.

So, my thesis for discussion as necessary is that (1/f) distributions and associated
self-organised criticality imply that physiological control systems should not be classed
as mechanical systems. In other words the naive materialist paradigm of Descartes etc.
should no longer be considered to apply to biology.

How this paves the way for a theory of 'experience' and 'mind' supported by
the brain physiology is a much longer and more challenging story.

All good wishes,

Alex

Alex,

[...]

24 juil. 2017, 12:11:1824/07/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alex,

On 24 Jul 2017, at 12:24, Alex Hankey wrote:

[...]

All forms of materialism (monist or dualist) are ruled out by the digital mechanist thesis already.

I am not sure (1/f) distribution are not Turing emulable, and thus semi-computable.
Most semi-computable processes are not computable. Universal machine are typically not computable nor predictable.

1/f distributions, and self-organization are very interesting, and might play a role in neuroscience, but I don't think this is a threat to Digital Mechanism, once we understand that digital machine's self-reference lead to very counter-intuitive and very rich theories of mind, and of matter (making the hypothesis testable).

Note also, that the Digital Mechanist hypothesis justifies that the soul of the machine is not a machine, and that matter is not Turing emulable. This is due to the fact that if we are digital machine, we cannot know which computations support us, and our computational continuation are determined by a non computable statistics on the infinity of computations (in arithmetic) going through our mind.

How this paves the way for a theory of 'experience' and 'mind' supported by
the brain physiology is a much longer and more challenging story.

Which might, or not, use, or refute the digital mechanist assumption. To my knowledge, only the collapse of the wave packet, if that could make sense, would be an evidence against Digital Mechanism (alias computationalism). But there is no evidence of such a collapse. I take the Bell inequality violation as an argument for the "parallel universe", which restore physical determinacy, some amount of physical realism and locality.

Best,

Bruno

Bruno Marchal

non lue,
31 juil. 2017, 09:11:1531/07/2017

On 30 Jul 2017, at 02:21, Serge Patlavskiy wrote:

-
>Well, by Mechanism, I mean Digital Mechanism, and another terming is "computationalism"

In other words, you cannot express your ideas without using such a term as "mechanism".

It is a matter of helping people that I am not defending an idea, but just deriving the consequences of an hypothesis.

Computationalism, or the computational theory of mind holds that the mind is a computation that arises from the brain acting as a computing machine.

This is ambiguous. In the mechanist theory, what is provable, is that neither the soul, nor matter can be computable.

I do not consider living organism as a computing machine. A computer deals with "1"-s and "0"-s,

Notably. It deals with finite information. But this entails that the soul or the person attached to that mind or to the computer, is not a computer, nor even anything describable in 3p terms.

See my papers which explains why the incompleteness results makes soul, and matter, non computable. The soul can only attach itself to an infinity of "brain" representations, which provably exist in arithmetic (even without Digital Mechanism).

while consciousness deals with wholes. Any thought is a whole complex system.

No problem with this.

Consciousness "computes" not in digits but in wholes. To explain the mechanisms of consciousness it is not sufficient just to consider our ability to compute.

You are right. The universal machine is already aware of this. But that is not an argument against computationalism. In fact, self-observing machine tends to get anti-mechanist conclusion, until they understand that this is explained by the mechanist assumption. I am aware it looks paradoxical at first sight.

I will be busy this week. Don't hesitate to ask question, or read my papers on the subject (and ask further questions), but I can't promise to comment soon, only asap!

Best,

Bruno

SP

From: Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be>

Alex,

----------------------------
[...]

13 août 2017, 16:49:5013/08/2017
à Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

I assume mechanism, and the knowledge that all machine dreams/computations are emulated in the arithmetical reality. It is not so well know,, tough.

On 11 Aug 2017, at 15:07, Paul Werbos wrote:

On Aug 5, 2017 4:17 AM, "Bruno Marchal" <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

The question becomes "where did this physical mundane universe actually come from?"
The big bang? Quantum vacuum? This already assumes a physical reality. There might be a simpler explanation.

First, a small caveat. There are times when I prefer to use the word "cosmos" rather than "universe," in respect to the Everett/Wheeler/Deutsch theory that our cosmos is actually made up (at each time) of an infinite collection of three dimensional objects we see as "universes".

OK. Usually I use cosmos for the branch we are in, and universe for the ... "multiverse" or universal wave.

To be sure, I do not believe in in the primacy of this. Both the particular branches and the universal wave are phenomenological.

Reality is trickier than that, but already our understanding in physics is rich enough that I need to know which question you are interested in:

(1) Why do we seem to see the particular three-dimensional "universe" object we now see, out of all the many such objects which exist?

(2) Where did the larger cosmos, and the mathematical "law of everything", actually come from?

My guess is that you meant to choose (2),

Good guess. But with mechanism, an answer to (2) should put some light on (1). Precisely: (2) will either answer (1) or make the particular as a case of a geographical particularity.

but then there is a further caveat. I would not use the word "mundane" to describe the cosmos. The cosmos includes not only ordinary familiar types of matter (electrons, protons, neutrons, photons), but dark matter and other things -- enough to provide the material substance for life and intelligence and consciousness to evolve at levels above that of the mundane human body. STRICTLY AS A MATTER OF SEMANTICS, we may or may not choose to view the cosmos itself as a kind of mind in itself, depending on how we feel about the equations; the equations are real, the fuzzy labels people argue about much less so.

I think we agree. With mechanism, the cardinal of reality is absolutely undecidable, and personally, I tend to believe in only 0, s(0), s(s(0), together with the laws of succession, addition and multiplication. The notion of computation is born in metamathematics, and indeed, in the part of metamathematic which can be arithmetized, and has been, as explained in the textbooks of mathematical logic.

By "mundane", I meant "first person plural sharable". It is the locally observable or guessable, like dark matter, dark energy, dark flows. That is part of our common stable dream.

But the origin of all that is the origin of the dreamers, and with Church thesis, it is a theorem that a (tiny part) of the arithmetical reality emulate all dreams. The observable, sharable (quanta) and non sharable (qualia) are modalities of self-reference on the part of the dreamer entity.

It is testable, and it works until now (curiously enough).

============

So then, your question (as I understand it): where did this incredible cosmos come from?

My questions: how can we make sense of this question, and what is the right way to approach it?

Always when we pose a fundamental theory, the question of "WHY is it true?" effectively asks for a more fundamental theory. As you hint, this easily gets into an empty infinite regress.

Not necessarily. With mechanism, we get an explanation (perhaps wrong, testable) of the origin of the beliefs (true and wrong) of a (universal) person lost in a web of "dreams" in arithmetic. It is very close to Plotinus, with a two way path that the soul can take in between Heaven and Earth, say.

And, (and this is the point), you can't ask where arithmetic comes from, because arithmetic can justify "arithmetically" that if you assume less than itself (up to a Turing-isomorphism) you can't get it at all.

Certainly I am DEEPLY interested right now in looking for such a more fundamental theory, one step deeper than Modified or Markovian QED (http://vixra.org/abs/1707.0343). At some time, it may or may not be worthwhile to try to probe one level deeper than that (if an empirical basis is found for doing so), but for now that one deep step is enough of a challenge, even though the gross qualitative ideas seem clear and detailed enough. (We all can emit lots of fuzzy words, but that is neither here nor there.)

If the person is sincere with itself, any path will do.
If the person is not sincere with itself, no path will do.

For myself, I would be ready to respond with intense thought in reaction to real empirical clues EITHER from the physics lab OR from veridical paranormal experience. (Ancient holy texts I do not treat as solid evidence, given how they contradict each other anyway.

I interpret the contradiction as typo error, joke, or attempt to remind never taking anything sacred literally.

I do not believe in the "paranormal", given that when a psychologist succeeds in verifying a parapsychological experience, like it happened for the luicid dream, then "para" is thrown away.

I am a skeptical. I am a Platonist, I do not believe in what I see. I trust the normal in principle, but beware of the domain involved. "Para" is a sociological term. It is an artificial wall.

I don't believe in the normal physical things already. It is easier to explain the illusion of the moon to a person, than to explain the illusion of person to the moon...

My real interest has always been the mind-body problem, and the partial solution I saw in molecular genetics was already in elementary arithmetic. It is Gödel theorem which decides me to do mathematics.

To be sure, as a professional I am agnostic, here I assume and behave like if I was a mechanist believer (to avoid conditional jargon).

I view them all as evidence more like dreams, which at best call for lots of filtering, testing and probing analysis of where they came from.)

OK.

At present, I do not see any serious clues to any specific need for a model beyond Lagrange-Euler equations operating over ordinary curved Minkowski space, now that I understand better how such models work.

If that is true, and not just geographical, then, to get the mind-brain identity right, you have to justify the Lagrange-Euler equations from "the theology of numbers". My feeling from what has already been extracted is that we will get the quantum principle, and the symmetries, but it is an open problem if eventually the "particles" will be classified by the Monster group or something.

Another "quick way" would be the prime number distribution, which, if the RH is correct, would dovetail on a quantum computer in the limit, justifying, or not, a single quantum measure.

-----------

That is the logical response as I see it. But I still see two entertaining images which may be worth mentioning.

Many decades ago, I came to a small party hosted by Professor Albritton, head of the Harvard philosophy department (which combined a typical Anglo-American analytic base with a deep interest in the larger history of philosophy). Someone asked him what it all means in the end, what it has to say to the rest of us. He knocked his hand on the wall, and said (roughly) : "Well, we have agonized a lot over whether we should accept THIS all as real or not. Mainly we do.." To accept reality and life, for all their complexities, or not. Or as Nietzsche once said, to say "yes" or "no" to life itself. Or as Valliant once said, whether to get rid of nonsense defense mechanisms like denial, and to move on.

For me the problem begun when theology was keep away from science. That has helped only bad faith. Both in the Eastern and Western world, you see the honest inquirers, and those with hidden agenda (fame, money, notoriety, ...). When liars get the power, as they often do, honesty is an handicap, even if it is the only real power in the long run.

There is also a natural fear with respect to the fundamental question, life and death. And who we are.

When I asked my father what is truth, he told me that it was what the human fears the most.

I have often heard people debate "Is God male or female or transgender?" The minute I hear such things, I picture a huge fetus (a bit like the one in the movie 2001), a fetus speculating about the sex life of its parents. There are better things for a fetus brain to think about. Such speculations remind me of a neural network I once trained to solve a generalized maze problem, which initially wasted ever so much time in relatively unproductive oscillations, due to trying to optimize the weights which were less important to its current stage of learning. A system more self-aware, modeling its larger progress, could move much faster. To express our own life and our own nature, we too need to make better use of true self-awareness, and try not to follow the empty paths of so many ... whatever. (I remember a yoga teacher who talked about the "river of ice" so many get caught in, made much icier by delusions of... whatever.)

Many salvia reports describe en encounter with a divine entity definitely felt as feminine.

And I like to joke on the macho greeks for which odd numbers are male and even numbers are female, and for who 1 is, of course, the Big One, ... I like to joke when pointing that today we know that the big 1 is in between the two most terrible female of Platonia: the number 0 (death, annihilation) and the number 2 (life, couple, duplication, creation, the indefinite dyad of the Pythagoreans).

But take this with a grain of salt, if that was needed to be made precise.

Best wishes,

Bruno

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur