Unenrollment question

Wallace, Andrew

Dec 13, 2017, 10:18:47 AM12/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Hello colleagues!
How would you all handle this scenario?:

We have a student that heads to [insert exotic foreign location here] every year from Nov-April.  Mom finds a tutor for her there.  Is she to be unenrolled?

My understanding is yes. However what code would you all use from IC?

thanks - Andy
Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information protected from disclosure by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. Any disclosure of the document is strictly prohibited outside the scope of the service for which you are receiving the information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

Ramona Bennett

Dec 13, 2017, 10:25:44 AM12/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
In the past we have had them transferred to "Home Schooling" as the mom is responsible (with the tutor) for the students education.  When they return, they transfer back into from Home Schooling.  I have even printed out the state home school paperwork for the parent to sign.

Ramona L. Bennett
RSU 24 Data Manager
2165 US Highway 1
Sullivan, ME  04664

Richard Bergeron, Jr

Dec 13, 2017, 10:35:48 AM12/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Transfer to homeschooling is not correct unless parents file a letter of intent to homeschool.

The correct way is to transfer to another country unenrollo g them then when they return, reenrolling with transfer in from another country.

Rick Bergeron

Wallace, Andrew

Dec 13, 2017, 11:23:41 AM12/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
yes I agree Rick, what code to use in IC though?

I agree; we've had similar circumstances, and even in cases
where kids technically did some 'work' while they were gone,
we just made that work once they returned.

Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:35 AM
To: MaineICUsersGroup@googlegroups.com

On Dec 13, 2017 10:18 AM, "Wallace, Andrew" <A...@spsd.org> wrote:
[...]

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Richard Bergeron, Jr

Dec 13, 2017, 11:40:45 AM12/13/17

yes I agree Rick, what code to use in IC though?

Wallace, Andrew

Dec 21, 2017, 1:05:06 PM12/21/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I am curious, what do you all use for the cut off for when you all unenroll kids. Is it 2 weeks our, 3, a month...? Does the DOE have guidance on when a kid is considered unenrollable?

Our secretaries really obsess over this and I am eager to give them some concrete guidelines.

thanks~

I had been told that we can not dis enroll a student until we receive a request for records from the new school. That they were ours until that time.

Katie

Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 11:40 AM
To: MaineICUsersGroup@googlegroups.com

Wallace, Andrew

Dec 21, 2017, 1:16:09 PM12/21/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
interesting! I have heard very much the opposite of that! It's all interesting to me, for example a student goes back to a home country and they have zero intrerest in our student records. How long do we hold them?

Well that is a little different.. I don't have to deal with that situation very often I would assume with that case if you have some communication from the parents that would work, but not really sure.  Sorry!

Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:14 PM