Post to transcript

Katie Gourley

Apr 16, 2018, 11:36:30 AM4/16/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
When do most people normal post grades to transcripts. My guidance department is saying they normally only post at the end of the year. They are looking for a class rank list which is fine and I can quickly pull from IC, but we have weighted grades and apparently those don't calculate for class rank until we post to transcript.

Any thoughts? Apparently it has always been done through hand calculation. I would prefer to not do that.

Katie Gourley

Jeanne Houde

Apr 16, 2018, 12:14:53 PM4/16/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We post to transcript all final grades which is at the end of semester 1 and end of the year. We have semester long classes.

William Backman

Apr 16, 2018, 12:42:15 PM4/16/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
One way to cheat: refresh the sandbox and post there.
--
Will Backman
Director of Technology

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.." –William Gibson

Katie Gourley

Apr 16, 2018, 1:12:30 PM4/16/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
Thanks! I didn't even think of doing it in the sandbox!

Katie

Jeanne Houde

Apr 16, 2018, 1:25:59 PM4/16/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Will!

Jeanne Houde
Data Management Advisor
MSAD/RSU35
Cell:  207-752-1253

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018, 11:36 AM Katie Gourley <ka...@rsu25.org> wrote:
When do most people normal post grades to transcripts. My guidance department is saying they normally only post at the end of the year. They are looking for a class rank list which is fine and I can quickly pull from IC, but we have weighted grades and apparently those don't calculate for class rank until we post to transcript.

Any thoughts? Apparently it has always been done through hand calculation. I would prefer to not do that.

Katie Gourley

Will Backman
Director of Technology
Kennebec Valley Consolidated Schools - AOS92.org
Vassalboro - Waterville - Winslow

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.." –William Gibson

Sam Iggulden

Apr 17, 2018, 9:23:38 AM4/17/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
I feel like this has been a weakness of IC that should have been addressed years ago...

GPA on the credit summary tab only includes posted grades, whereas most schools like to have a "7th semester" class rank that would include all posted grades, but also semester 1 in-progress grades (for full year courses)... and this is the most important class rank because it's the one that gets included on college applications.

Now if you have your Term GPA's set up correctly (on the course > grading tasks tab), then I think the rolling cumulative GPA at the bottom of the grades tab has a chance of being correct (depending on timing and configuration)... but I'm not sure you can get a class rank report from that (although you may be able to pull the data in ad-hoc?).

We use a SQL query to figure it all out, which is both a blessing and a curse...  a blessing because we can and it saves a bunch of time and hassle, but a curse because it's frustrating to support, is a risk to assume that we are calculating it correctly, and also because we stopped looking for a solution that doesn't require extra skills.

Karen Quint

Apr 23, 2018, 8:18:00 AM4/23/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I think the Grading & Standards-->Reports-->Term GPA report can  also be used for this. It allows for choosing weighted or unweighted GPA and also which terms you want to include in the Rolling Cum GPA calculation. You can choose to list it numerically or alphabetically. Has anyone else used this report? We are on a trimester schedule and also only post grades at the end of the school year.
Karen

Karen Quint
Guidance Secretary

Nancy Embry

Apr 24, 2018, 7:48:01 AM4/24/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
For our Class Rank, which is weighted, I have to do a couple of things.

I post to Transcript at the end of Semester 1 for all half-year courses.

And then run a query to capture half the 'value' with grade in time for full
year courses, since they're not on the Transcript until the end of the year.

Now if I can just get Guidance to stop using the canned report, since that's
not what we use...

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department