Entering New Students - Student IDs

William Backman

Jul 10, 2017, 10:17:25 AM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Looking for thoughts from other districts who add kindergarten students during the summer: What have you all heard about the process for getting new student IDs for these students?

--
Will Backman
Director of Technology

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.." –William Gibson

Audet, Norma-Jean

Jul 10, 2017, 10:38:09 AM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is the only information I have seen so far:

Once these changes have been made, your district editions will no longer sync with the Maine State Edition.  If you need a new statestudentid, you will need to log into the State edition to get the new id.  The Helpdesk can assist, MEDMS.H...@maine.gov<mailto:MEDMS.Helpdesk@maine.gov> or 207-624-6896.  When the State edition is shut down later in July, you will need to contact the Helpdesk to get the new id from Synergy.

How smooth this transition goes will determine if we are able to stay with IC or be forced to another SIS.  Being a process person, it would be great if we had just a little more detail or a process for each change.

I am SO looking forward to our October enrollment report ;-) Anyone else??

That said, this group has always been very supportive and together we will figure out how to navigate each turn, twist and pot hole.

Norma-Jean Audet
Technology Director
RSU #4 Litchfield - Sabattus - Wales
Oak Hill High School
56 School Road
Wales, ME 04280
207.375.4950 x 393
norma-je...@rsu4.org

Notices:

This email message is intended for the exclusive use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) addressed above. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential under both state and federal law, including confidential education records. If you are not the intended recipient or an agent of the recipient, you are notified that any further dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Please also be advised that, subject to certain exceptions, emails may be classified as public records under Maine law, and could be released to the public and/or the media if requested.

William Backman

Jul 10, 2017, 10:39:56 AM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I'm really curious to know if anyone has tried to get a new student ID yet.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Audet, Norma-Jean <norma-je...@rsu4.org> wrote:
Hi, this is the only information I have seen so far:

Once these changes have been made, your district editions will no longer sync with the Maine State Edition.  If you need a new statestudentid, you will need to log into the State edition to get the new id.  The Helpdesk can assist, MEDMS.Helpdesk@maine.gov<mailto:MEDMS.Helpdesk@maine.gov> or 207-624-6896.  When the State edition is shut down later in July, you will need to contact the Helpdesk to get the new id from Synergy.

Lisa Quigley

Jul 10, 2017, 10:42:26 AM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have tried and the 17-18 school year is not open yet on the State side!
This is going to be crazy!

photo
Lisa Quigley
Data Manager
Biddeford & Dayton School Departments

Shannon Commeau

Jul 10, 2017, 10:48:55 AM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I am just trying to search for students through the student locator to pull them in to my IC database and when I search for a student none come up.  I have tried several different names too.  Not sure if it is different because I work at a CTE school or not.

Shannon

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Lisa Quigley <lqui...@biddefordschooldepartment.org> wrote:
Yes, I have tried and the 17-18 school year is not open yet on the State side!
This is going to be crazy!

photo
Lisa Quigley
Data Manager
Biddeford & Dayton School Departments

--
~~If you've given your all, then you've done all that you could and you should have no regrets~~

Nancy Embry

Jul 10, 2017, 12:00:57 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is/was that Student Locator will still find kids with an historical
enrollment in my district (we get a lot of repeats w/the Navy Yard) but that
for new kids we either have to contact the HelpDesk or wait for the first upload
to populate them...

If we need the SSID for mapping in the upload, I guess I'll be talking to the
(poor) HelpDesk folks a lot!

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Shannon Commeau <goodt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am just trying to search for students through the student locator to pull them in to my IC database and when I search for a student none come up.  I have tried several different names too.  Not sure if it is different because I work at a CTE school or not.

Shannon

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Shannon Commeau

Jul 10, 2017, 12:34:20 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
The students I am searching for are all previously enrolled through a sending high school.  They have not all been students at UTC before, but they have all been a student in the system before and all have a Student ID#.  We only have 12, 11, & 10th that attend my school and I have used the student locator and it is not working.

Nancy Embry

Jul 10, 2017, 12:41:14 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
That's what I'd expect; it can't search the State but only your local district.

We get repeats to Kittery who were here in Grade 4 and then go to Virginia
for 5 and 6, and come back for Grade 7.  Those are the kids I'm expecting to
be able to find.

Or I'm just wrong, and it won't work at all for anyone!

Hot fun in the summer time....

William Backman

Jul 10, 2017, 12:44:05 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
July 25 in Houlton is the first of the training dates across the state.  I guess we'll know then.

Shannon Commeau

Jul 10, 2017, 1:38:57 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
So if they have been at UTC before I can find them, I just tried a few names.......I have already rolled over the ones who will be returning, now the other 450 that are not returning, I will not be able to find.  Wander what I am going to do.......I can't really wait until the end of July to start enrolling students into IC.  I called the MEDMS help desk and they said they cannot do anything to help and they do not have an answer, told me to call IC and they have no answer either.

Audet, Norma-Jean

Jul 10, 2017, 1:41:12 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Would you have the list of training dates and locations?

Is the process we must follow now what PowerSchool and other SIS schools have gone through since ICSE?

William Backman

Jul 10, 2017, 1:51:14 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Maine DOE Summer Training Dates and Registration 2017

We are offering five sessions with half a day for NEO updates and Training and half a day for Synergy Training.  An additional full day session will also be held for those districts who manually enter information into the State level Student Information System.

During the NEO session, MDOE Help Desk members will review changes to NEO, which include Maine State Reports previously located in Infinite Campus State Edition.  Other changes to NEO include the new Data Collection and Reporting (DC&R) module, access to NEO, changes to NEO staff, and clarification of Staff and District Roles.  There will also be a short session on Student Data Privacy.  Attendees should include those who currently complete NEO Reports, those who previously worked with student reports in Infinite Campus State Edition,  and those who will be doing these activities in the coming school year.  Student data certifications will now be done in NEO, so Superintendents who certify reports may also want to attend.

A light lunch will be offered, and during this time, DOE and Synergy staff will be available for questions.

For the Synergy session, participants will learn how to use Synergy DOE to upload student data required by the State of Maine. In addition, participants will learn how to use Synergy DOE to enter and validate student data that is not included in the upload process.
After completing this session, participants will understand how to perform uploads and will be able to:
* Log in to Synergy and navigate the interface
* Use and understand Synergy concepts and terminology
* Change Focus to view other years/schools
* Create personal Navigation Menus
* View existing student information
* Find a single student or multiple students
* Enter and modify student data
* Truancy
* Discipline
* Use a Matrix to print student information or export student information to other desktop programs
* Create student filters
* Create Graph information
* Preview and Print common reports
* Save report settings

The August 1 Manual Entry Session will be an all-day in-depth look at how to enter student information directly into the system. (NEO topics will not be covered at this session)

July 25
Houlton High School
7 Bird Street
Houlton, ME 04730
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytraininghoulton

July 26
Ellsworth Elementary School/Middle School
20 Forest Avenue
Ellsworth, ME 04605
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytrainingellsworth

July 27
Orion Performing Arts Center
50 Republic Avenue
Topsham, ME 04086
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytrainingtopsham

July 31
Cony School
60 Pierce Drive
Augusta, ME 04330
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytrainingaugusta

August 1 MANUAL UPLOAD Schools only please.  NEO not presented
Cony School
60 Pierce Drive
Augusta, ME 04330
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytrainingaugustamanualentry

August 2
Portland Arts & Technology High School
196 Allen Avenue
Portland, ME 04103
http://events.egov.com/eventreg/ME/event.htm?name=doeneosynergytrainingportland

If you have any questions please contact:

Shannon Bartash
Data Systems Helpdesk Manager
Maine Department of Education
207.624.6799 - desk
207.592.0359 - cell

Audet, Norma-Jean

Jul 10, 2017, 1:56:38 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

Shannon Commeau

Jul 10, 2017, 2:22:55 PM7/10/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
This is what Jason at IC told me about the student locator....

Hi Shannon.  Here’s what I found out.

You are correct, since DIS has been turned off District Edition users in Maine cannot use the student locator to pull in new students. You will just add students in the same manner as you do with parents and then you’ll give them an enrollment.  After that’s done you’ll need to log into the new state system and use the student locator to either create the student or locate them. You’ll then copy the State ID and put it into District Edition.

This is assuming “pull any students” means you cannot pull them from the State Edition using the student locator.

Does this help?  Let me know if you need anything else.

Katie Gourley

Jul 10, 2017, 3:46:31 PM7/10/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
I had enrolled all of mine before the end of the year. I was told that as long as they were in by July 1 they should be fine, but after that do not enter or remove until after the training and the new system is up and running.   I am still nervous to see if I am going to have to re enter them.

Katie Gourley
Director of Data Management
RSU 25
Bucksport-Orland-Prospect-Verona