Performance Based Education in IC

Tonya

Oct 15, 2015, 12:32:20 PM10/15/15
to MaineICUsersGroup
Good afternoon,

Is anyone using IC for standards reporting (we are just starting REALLY using it this year - have been using it with Elem for a while but not to the full extent) and if so are you reporting out on performance indicators and having the standard as an in progress grade, and how do you have your PowerLaw set up for using formatives and summatives and weighting them?  Would be very interested to talk to you!

Thank you
Tonya

Nancy Embry

Oct 15, 2015, 12:47:24 PM10/15/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

We're using JumpRope, and I'm going to be taking them from there and putting them into
IC for Final Grades>Transcript only. (By which I mean my head hurts.)

In JR, formatives are .010 and Summatives .5, 1, 2, 3, or 4....but we're using straight up averaging.

We were using a decaying average, and for whatever reason the switch was made.

"In Progress" we are reporting out of JR by course, at the assessment level, so that it displays Course> Standard>Competency>Assessment.

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

Nancy Embry

Data Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

William Backman

Oct 16, 2015, 7:46:22 AM10/16/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
One tip at ACTEM that we received during the luch IC round table:
IC is working on something (which they have been saying for a while),
but one trick that they suggest is to use the Assessments tool in IC
to track reporting standards that would follow a student and be graded
by multiple teachers.
https://community.infinitecampus.com/kb/display/DOC/Assessment
Will Backman
Director of Technology
Kennebec Valley Consolidated Schools - AOS92.org
Vassalboro - Waterville - Winslow

"Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born." –Alan Kay

Sam Iggulden

Oct 16, 2015, 1:38:22 PM10/16/15
to MaineICUsersGroup
At RSU#17 we have been doing what I would call a "hybrid" standards/proficiency based  system at grades 7-12 for at least 5 years.  It's a hybrid system because while we grade towards standards, we do still grade using percentages and averages. This means we do NOT use Power Law, which is only available for a "pure" standards based system (which is possible in IC - but which forces multi-level hierarchical aggregation issues).

In prior years we had a set of 2-6 "standards" per course (in quotes because in reality what we grade is way less specific than most standards... more like what you might call "domains" in the Common Core), and then teachers would do whatever they wanted in the gradebook as long as they covered each of these general areas... and of course, each standard averaged into a composite final grade so we'd still be able to have a regular GPA and class rank.

For core classes this year, we changed most of our standards to better reflect what we want to use for our Proficiency Based Diploma... so still roughly 2-6 very general standards - but more aligned to common core and NGSS etc..

Our other change this year was to force teachers to use Performance Indicators as their categories.  We wanted the PI's to show in the portal - but without having too many standards in the gradebook (so as to not overwhlem our teachers) and this seemed like a balanced approach - but it is flawed...  It took some doing in the database back-end, and still is pretty unwieldy (as PI changes get made, or new sections get added), but I'm almost managing to keep up...  yet the biggest issue is that a per standard, an assignment may only be applied to one category.  Whereas if our PI's were standards, then a single assignment could span multiple standards (useful in multi-score).

Long-Term we also plan to use the trick Will mentioned (and that I learned about at the last interchange) - so at the end of each course, the teacher will submit teacher-scored assessments per diploma standard, per student - as a way to manually sign off on whether each diploma standard covered in the course was (or was not) met.  The tricky part here is that a single standard might be addressed in multiple courses (i.e. multiple pathways), but how then do we aggregate those on the diploma (mean, median, mode, power law, most recent, best,coin flip, etc...)?

William Backman

Nov 12, 2015, 1:19:50 PM11/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We started playing with this a little in the sandbox today, and are feeling a little uncertain as to the best way to set up the assessment module for the purposes of tracking for the proficiency-based diploma requirements.  We can clearly see how it has the advantage of not having standards attached to a course, but the reporting and overall complexity of the setup is concerning.  I can wrap my head around how this tool can be used to store SAT or DRA scores for example, but for teacher scored district tests, I'm a bit confused.

Has anyone else started to try this out, and if so, how have you been setting it up for your diplomas?

Sam Iggulden

Nov 12, 2015, 1:46:45 PM11/12/15
to MaineICUsersGroup
I started playing with this at the end of last year and have some ideas...

If you're going to use assessments to track Standard scores for the PBD, then you do still need to have standards in courses.

The idea is that you create one Teacher Scored Assessment per Graduation Standard, and then you align the assessment to the standard (which can be done from within the standards bank)

And because it's a teacher scored assessment, and because it's aligned to a standard - when you attach that standard to a course - the assessment becomes available for the teacher to score (under Standardized test).  And once you score that assessment, the result becomes available on the assessment tab - which is NOT year based, so any future teacher can see those results in future years.... and then you need to get into custom report writing to display this data in more useful formats.