Teacher Login Issues

Norma-Jean Audet

Jan 2, 2017, 7:53:40 PM1/2/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are any other sites experiencing teacher login issues since the
security update? Sometimes they can login successful, other times not.
There does not seem to be a pattern or same set of situations to
compare / troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone

Wallace, Andrew

Jan 2, 2017, 7:59:06 PM1/2/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I have spend far too many hours on this stupid "upgrade"
A pattern I have noticed is people who have forgotten their passwords, but don't want to admit it. When asked many will reveal that they had the passwords autosaved.
Another pattern I have noticed is people who actually DO know their passwords, but were confused when it asked for the email address (the whole security process was oddly worded and presented). I have had at least a dozen people try and log in using their email address as their username. I attribute this to the emphasis on email address during the security update as well as more and more teachers using online tools (GAFE) that actually use an email for a login name.
Whenever I see a ton of inconsistent problems I pessimistically think "user error." So far on every single case since this upgrade - and there have been multiple dozens - it has been username problem or saved (and thus forgotten) password.

You all may find things otherwise, and if there is a pattern please let me know!!!
Jan 2, 2017, 8:14:37 PM1/2/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response.

I usually think the same, especially during and after a break.

I have seen both the saved password and email confusion as well. The
only pattern I have seen is it is only teacher accounts, those that
access the Campus Instruction side at login.

No issues from users who access the Campus Tools side at login - yet.

It might be interesting to switch a Instruction user with login issues
to Campus Tools between login attempts..just to test before doing a
password reset.

Sent from my iPhone

Wallace, Andrew

Jan 2, 2017, 8:18:55 PM1/2/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
You might be on to something there!

Jan 3, 2017, 9:42:12 AM1/3/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Yup; same here.  Although teachers with autosaved passwords have
been 99% of those who also had to clear their cache etc.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Wallace, Andrew <A...@spsd.org> wrote:
You might be on to something there!

I usually think the same, especially during and after a break.

I have seen both the saved password and email confusion as well. The

only pattern I have seen is it is only teacher accounts, those that

access the Campus Instruction side at login.

No issues from users who access the Campus Tools side at login - yet.

It might be interesting to switch a Instruction user with login issues

to Campus Tools between login attempts..just to test before doing a

password reset.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2017, at 7:59 PM, Wallace, Andrew <A...@spsd.org> wrote:

> I have spend far too many hours on this stupid "upgrade"

> A pattern I have noticed is people who have forgotten their passwords, but don't want to admit it. When asked many will reveal that they had the passwords autosaved.

> Another pattern I have noticed is people who actually DO know their passwords, but were confused when it asked for the email address (the whole security process was oddly worded and presented). I have had at least a dozen people try and log in using their email address as their username. I attribute this to the emphasis on email address during the security update as well as more and more teachers using online tools (GAFE) that actually use an email for a login name.

> Whenever I see a ton of inconsistent problems I pessimistically think "user error." So far on every single case since this upgrade - and there have been multiple dozens - it has been username problem or saved (and thus forgotten) password.

> You all may find things otherwise, and if there is a pattern please let me know!!!

Nancy Embry

Data Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Charles McLaughlin

Jan 3, 2017, 12:22:18 PM1/3/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
You seem to have stated my issues on the nose here.  The only additional thing that I think I have noted is that up until this upgrade, legacy teachers with "insecure" passwords were allowed to continue to use their insecure password.  With this upgrade they were not allowed to use an insecure password at all.  So I think the older teachers are getting ...c o n f u s e d.  I had the email address login mistakes and also the "Letters" security box is too hard for some teachers to master.  It may just be my users not the actual update.

Josh Farnola

Jan 6, 2017, 8:23:21 AM1/6/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
I have a user that is getting kicked out of IC and brought back to the login screen when switching between Campus tools and campus instruction. She's on firefox, Win 7. We have reset cache which worked temporarily, refreshed Firefox and it seems to work correctly for a day...any else seeing this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lisa Quigley

Jan 6, 2017, 8:48:35 AM1/6/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We have been having similar issues here. I have the user clear history/cache and this has corrected the problem.

Lisa Quigley
Data Manager
Biddeford School Department
ext. 7040

Nancy Embry

Jan 6, 2017, 10:25:35 AM1/6/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Me too, except that many of my teachers never seem to turn off their devices;
they just close apps, browsers (never "quitting") and close the lid.

That was the key for my few that were still having problems.