Weighted Grades

1 view

Katie Gourley

May 16, 2018, 2:21:27 PM5/16/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
Good afternoon,
If anyone is using weighted grades at their high school can you tell me how you set it up? Looking at how it was set up a long time ago I am not sure it is calculating correctly. Do you give a straight grade and then in the course  set up under GPA Weight adjust that as 1.1 etc or do you have a separate grading group that it calculates from? We have had some discussion looking at the transcript that AP classes reflect a weight of 1. Maybe we are looking at this all wrong. The person that set it all up is no longer here so we are looking for clarification. If anyone has any insight that would be great!

Thank you,

Katie Gourley
RSU 25

Nancy Embry

May 16, 2018, 2:49:36 PM5/16/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I can certainly tell you what we do in Kittery; right now we've got
a Transcript that combines GPA values for 100 pt. grade scale and
PBL, for unweighted, Honors weighted and AP weighted.

Give me a call if you want, and I'll send you some pics of my set up
if you think it would help.

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Sam Iggulden

May 17, 2018, 2:52:06 PM5/17/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
Hi Katie

You need two separate grading scales, where weighted courses get one, and regular courses get the other (i.e. in your "Final Grade" grading task, set on the course tab-set).

For the grading scale used on unweighted courses, the GPA Value and Unweighted GPA Value are the same.

For the grading scale used on weighted courses, the GPA Value shows the weighted value, and Unweighted GPA Value does not.

For example, if an AP math course has a 110% weighting, and you use a 4.0 GPA scale, then the GPA Value for an "A" (on the score group definition) is 4.4, and the unweighted GPA column is 4.0... and a B = 3.3 vs 3.0 etc...

Sam Iggulden

May 17, 2018, 2:56:40 PM5/17/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
And one more thing...

If you set it up the way I described, you have to be careful to NOT also set the GPA Weight on the course tab to be 1.1.

Of course it's been a while since I've adjusted any of this stuff, and it may have changed (and may work differently depending how far you are down the proficiency road) -  so be sure to test in your sandbox!