Using IC or other Student DB

Sue Lambert

Sep 13, 2017, 8:21:00 AM9/13/17
to maineicu...@googlegroups.com
I am making a transition to working as a School Secretary and I am noticing that we do not use our Student database for all the areas and I am assuming it is because IC does not work the way we need it to for some functions. Can you comment as to what other departments keep their own student database in either Access manual input database (Transp) or SNAP (medical) or Sped Dept or Library and why?

~Sue
Sue Lambert
MSAD #49
Albion Elementary School Secretary/Interim Finance Director
20 School St.
Albion, ME 04910

"You are who you choose to be; YOU choose!"   ~Iron Giant Movie

Nancy Embry

Sep 13, 2017, 8:30:53 AM9/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We use Nutrikids since no one wanted to pay the $ to use the IC tools.

Ditto what they use for SpEd; that involved the timing of a vendor contract
that renews in the middle of the school year, and trying to get the data out
of there to put it into IC. They weren't cooperative, and it was decided that
it wasn't worth it.

The library systems are still what they already were; that was about change
and nobody liking it.

Same with the financial piece and student fees; our network guy and I lobbied
hard to use it, and the Business Manager at the time didn't want anything outside
of her direct in-office control, so that was out.

​Resistance and $ have been the stumbling blocks here.​

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Sue Lambert

Nancy Embry

Sep 13, 2017, 8:45:08 AM9/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
No; sorry, I forgot that one.  Same thing about "change" and
it being bad.

Sue Lambert

Sam Iggulden

Sep 13, 2017, 1:16:05 PM9/13/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
This is a big topic....

The state pays for TransFinder for any district who wants to use it, and we have an automated daily transfinder export.  Trabnsfinder has very good bus routing software which we need for our large geographic area- but we still do field trips via google docs (even though transfinder has a module for it).

We also have automated exports to NutriKids... similar to Nancy, we had pre-existing contracts when we switched to IC, and departmenst didn't talk to each other, then nobody wanted to pay for new POS terminals, nor retrain staff on new software etc...

We do use SpEd in IC, but we have to do a lot of work on FDF forms.

We don't use IC financials because they released it at $12 per student per year... which (in my opinion) is way too pricey for a relatively new an untested fund accounting system. Not sure what the cost is now, but Tyler has a pretty good foothold in Maine and the benefit of having staff in the same DB as students doesn't mean as much to our finance people as it does to me!

Wallace, Andrew

Sep 13, 2017, 1:52:12 PM9/13/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
we are
Transfinder (very powerful tool), Mosiac food service, and Adori in South Portland