Calendar Rotation question

1 view

Charles McLaughlin

Mar 9, 2018, 7:53:07 AM3/9/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
Hi
Has anyone ever rewritten their rotations over an entire calendar?  I was just in my calendars making the adjustment for the last snowday and after I got done I found the rotating blue/white schedule for the year was wrong for my 8th grade - blue day said white etc... As of today's date the rotation now is correct.  I might have just made this error and wrote over the rotations from the beginning of the year or I did it after an earlier snowday (or another admin did it by mistake).  Anyway - all our attendance data for 8th grade seems to be intact.  Is this a problem for any reports you can think of?  Has anyone ever done  a rotation reset on past days  and not damaged data?  I would like to do a day rotation reset for 08/29/2017 - 03/07/2018 just to get the past 8th grade calendar rotation lined back up with the other calendars.  I got a green sounding CSR at campus support and she said it would damage attendance data but it obviously happened once already...

Charles McLaughlin

Mar 9, 2018, 7:58:11 AM3/9/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
also - Our 8th grade calendar takes attendance once per day (not period by period) during the first class of the day.
thanks for sharing any any experience with this
Chuck

Nancy Embry

Mar 9, 2018, 8:29:49 AM3/9/18
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Never going backwards; only future after a snow day.

We do period by period attendance so it's always whatever
day we're really in.

MSAD#55 Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message (including any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information protected from disclosure by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. Any disclosure of the document is strictly prohibited outside the scope of the service for which you are receiving the information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

Nancy Embry

Data Systems Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Sam Iggulden

Mar 9, 2018, 9:36:06 AM3/9/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
The attendance table in IC includes a periodID attribute which is required... meaning that every attendance record must be tied to a period.

And all attendance days must also be tied to a Period Schedule (e.g. a day... in your case a blue or white day, or maybe a "main" day for a simple non-rotating schedule).

So if you retro-actively change the "day" (i.e. period schedule) for a given date for which attendance records exist, then you are also (potentially) changing the set of periods will are available for that date.

For example, if block 1 exists on day 1 but not on day 2, and you retro-actively change a day 1 schedule to become a day 2 schedule, then it should trigger a database error (i.e. if there are any attendance records associated with block 1, which no longer exists for that date)... Or if the database isn't setup with that kind of referential integrity - then you'd be "orphaning" that block 1 record (which would be worse than getting an error message because it'd be hidden).  I don't know off the top of my head if you get an error or an orphan, but you could test for it in the sandbox if you were curious.

Having said all that - if the same periodID (i.e. for your one common attendance period) is associated with both of your period schedules, then you may get away with it because there is no potential for an orphaned record.

I certainly wouldn't attempt doing something like that at any school that does period attendance (as opposed to daily attendance)...  But conceptually - I could see how it might work in a daily attendance situation.

As always - the best thing to do would be to try it in the sandbox first (and test a few reports, and also try it at the high school to see if you get errors or orphans).

Charles McLaughlin

Mar 9, 2018, 9:57:38 AM3/9/18
to MaineICUsersGroup
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the data structure Sam.  I just checked and they did give themselves a daily (blue and white) homeroom this year. So knock knock knock on wood - as far as I can tell, I still have all the attendance aligned correctly to the homeroom.  I messed around in the sandbox and I seem to be able to switch it back and realign the earlier days but I may leave well enough alone...