Uploads to Synergy Punctuation

Melissa

Oct 4, 2017, 2:57:49 PM10/4/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
In uploading to Synergy I received a series of errors back due to punctuation.  In speaking with the help desk, they said it won't be allowed and we need to modify on our end.  My concern is that it is the students legal name.  O'Brien.  One student's middle name is actually H.G. on the birth certificate.  We either have to change their name in our SIS, which would be a problem for transcripts, etc., or manipulate the upload files every time we need to upload.    Has anyone else addressed this yet?

William Backman

Oct 4, 2017, 3:00:10 PM10/4/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if the expect us to adjust the export file to put single or double quotes around field that contain punctuation, or if they really expect us to change the way a name is spelled. I would be astounded if it were the latter.

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Melissa <Melissa...@msad40.org> wrote:
In uploading to Synergy I received a series of errors back due to punctuation.  In speaking with the help desk, they said it won't be allowed and we need to modify on our end.  My concern is that it is the students legal name.  O'Brien.  One student's middle name is actually H.G. on the birth certificate.  We either have to change their name in our SIS, which would be a problem for transcripts, etc., or manipulate the upload files every time we need to upload.    Has anyone else addressed this yet?

This email message is intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity addressed above. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential under both state and federal law, including confidential education records. If you are not the intended recipient or an agent of the recipient, you are notified that any further dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please also be advised that, subject to certain exceptions, emails may be classified as public records under Maine law, and could be released to the public and/or the media if requested.

Will Backman
Director of Technology
Kennebec Valley Consolidated Schools - AOS92.org
Vassalboro - Waterville - Winslow

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.." –William Gibson

Wallace, Andrew

Oct 4, 2017, 3:25:38 PM10/4/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Our district would never change a student's name in our database of record (which is IC for us) to address a glitch in uploading. If the issue is just on an initial upload/ingestion then it won't kill me to go in and fix after. That said it's obviously a shortcoming of Synergy's system. My feeling and concern is that the more manual crap we do, the higher the likelihood for errors.

I called the help desk and was told Synergy is working on a solution, but it's unlikely a priority is my guess as they have other more pressing issues (e.g. many K students, including ALL of mine are not working).

there is a Synergy update going in tonight that should fix this

Rick

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Wallace, Andrew <A...@spsd.org> wrote:
Our district would never change a student's name in our database of record (which is IC for us) to address a glitch in uploading. If the issue is just on an initial upload/ingestion then it won't kill me to go in and fix after. That said it's obviously a shortcoming of Synergy's system. My feeling and concern is that the more manual crap we do, the higher the likelihood for errors.

I called the help desk and was told Synergy is working on a solution, but it's unlikely a priority is my guess as they have other more pressing issues (e.g. many K students, including ALL of mine are not working).

Wallace, Andrew

Oct 4, 2017, 3:37:04 PM10/4/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
hurrah! thanks Rick