Nancy Embry

Mar 12, 2015, 10:38:44 AM3/12/15
to maineicu...@googlegroups.com
Trying to set up a connection with IC> JumpRope, and we've hit a brick wall.

("We" being our district network/server expert and IC hosting.)

Anyone in a hosted district out there with an ODBC connection to IC and who is using Network Maine?

The port we need is blocked; ME says they can't unblock it.

This is our first run at this, and we've got a few other systems I want this to work for; seems there must be a way.

Nancy Embry

Data Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Melissa Corbett

Mar 12, 2015, 10:38:48 AM3/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
I will be out of the office until March 16th.  For immediate assistance, please contact Linda Trenholm.  Thank you.

Joseph M. Knight

Mar 12, 2015, 11:35:15 AM3/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com

I suppose technically we use Time Warner here, but Network Maine provided our Joe Box and filtering and things…

I can’t imagine what would be blocked, but what did they say it is?

Is it the SQL queries? Or the SFTP ports?

Are you able to send SQL queries to Campus ODBC from your school?

Infinite Campus blocks access to their ODBC server except for a white-list of IP addresses, so if you haven’t called Campus and given them the IP address that your queries will appear to come from, they may be the ones blocking you.

Nancy Embry

Mar 12, 2015, 12:02:51 PM3/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
This came up because despite IC allowing our server IP through the firewall,
the connection couldn't be made.

Lots of screen shots of a language I'll never speak back and forth from our
network guy and hosting...and they finally figured out that it's the port.

IC says they must use a specific port (1433) and Network Maine says it's blocked,
and they "can't" unblock it.

Joseph M. Knight

Mar 12, 2015, 1:05:04 PM3/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com

That is the standard MS-SQL Server listening port. It’s sort of like the apartment number for an IP address.

I can easily imagine that Network Maine is attempting to protect schools from ‘Database Port Scanning’ by rogue computers attempting to break in, or perhaps even from random zombie systems inside their network trying to break other people’s servers…

But I’m surprised they can’t make any exceptions to the list for a few specific IP addresses, your specific internal IPs and odbc.maine.infinitecampus.org… that seems odd. Especially since your computers would be initiating the communication.

I know other districts around the state are doing this sort of thing too… are they using the scheduler in Campus instead of running the queries directly themselves or something? Perhaps they also are running through ISPs other than Network Maine directly?

Sorry I can’t help you further. :~(

Nancy Embry

Mar 12, 2015, 2:03:24 PM3/12/15
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Thanks; the only districts I know of with the connection are not using
Network Maine.

Glad this is now safely in the hands of someone way higher up the food
chain than me!

Nancy