Attendance at Elementary Schools

Anthony Calileo

Jul 6, 2016, 12:41:42 PM7/6/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

We're set up with our elementary schools taking attendance twice a day in two "courses" - "Attendance AM" and "Attendance PM". I was asked recently if there's any rhyme or reason for taking attendance twice a day at the elementary level (since they're with the same teacher for the entire day), but because I inherited that setup, I wasn't able to come up with any clear logic behind it. The secretaries mark the student as leaving school if they leave school early, so it seems redundant that we're doing it twice.

What's the attendance setup at elementary schools like in your districts? Is this setup typical?

Thanks!

Tony Calileo
Student Information Manager
Lake Region Schools

"DON'T PANIC"

Tonya

Jul 6, 2016, 12:44:20 PM7/6/16
to MaineICUsersGroup
Our elementary schools just take attendance in the morning.  If the student leaves during the day then the school secretary changes it to Dismissed when they are picked up.

Lisa Quigley

Jul 6, 2016, 1:10:46 PM7/6/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
​Our elementary schools do exactly the same as Tonya stated.

Lisa Quigley
Data Manager
Biddeford School Department
ext. 7040

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

Mary Jo Burcham

Jul 6, 2016, 2:02:33 PM7/6/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We at RSU 57 also do as Tonya said.
MJ

Sent from my iPhone

Nancy Embry

Jul 8, 2016, 11:07:55 AM7/8/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We pretty much do the same thing, but we have a bunch of attendance
codes, all built around whether the kid was here 1/2 day or not.

So we have Tardy/present and Tardy/absent; Dismissed/present and Dismissed/absent.

The attendance secy's K - 8 modify the kids' status based on how long they were at school.

So everyone is either "present" or "absent" for reporting purposes, but the text for the excuse
explains what they did....ideally!

Nancy Embry

Data Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

Anthony Calileo

Sep 19, 2016, 10:28:00 AM9/19/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Resurrecting this long-dead thread to ask a question! We removed our "Attendance PM" class, but now (obviously) there's only one spot for the secretaries to put an attendance code in (under Student>General>Attendance>New) (since there's only one attendance course).

My question: when a student comes in tardy and is then dismissed early at the elementary schools, how are you recording that information? Previously we were able to use the second attendance course as another drop-down, but since we removed that course, we're having to choose between tardy and dismissed early (and can't do both).

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Anthony Calileo <anthony.calileo@lakeregionschools.org> wrote:
[...]

Nancy Embry

Sep 19, 2016, 10:34:33 AM9/19/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We have a host of "codes" but they work.

A kid is either Present or Absent, for the whole day,
based on the timing.

We have
Dismissed/absent
Dismissed/present

Tardy/absent
Tardy/present

Came in or left before or after he was here for half a day?

Whatever the kid does last is how it ends up; so your kid above would be
Dismissed/absent and his comment would read "In at 0854/dismissed by Mom
at 1011"

Because the "absent" is all I care about and the rest is just for their reading enjoyment.

The information about where the kid went and why is there, but meanwhile
it's 1 or 0.

The guy who set us up originally in IC came up with this, and I like it.

Richard Bergeron, Jr

Sep 19, 2016, 11:46:50 AM9/19/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com

Hello all. Remember now that the MDOE has defined an instructional school day to be a min of 3 hours for ADA/ADM purposes, you may want to consider have 2 codes for both tardy and early release; one that counts for attendance and one that does not.

Rick Bergeron

Melissa

Sep 20, 2016, 1:55:39 PM9/20/16
to MaineICUsersGroup
We take attendance twice a day and now have two periods.  From what I am reading, it sounds like it will be necessary to move from taking attendance twice a day with 1/2 and whole day attendance to just the one period a day for elementary to meet the state reporting requirements.  Am I understanding this correctly, that this would be the best direction to go where we definitely do not do period attendance at this level?   Does anyone know where the present day value that is going to be populated on the enrollment tab is coming from?  For the high school, just trying to determine if I should be using adjusting my whole day absent minutes field from the calendar for approximate calculations to put the minimum value that would determine whether it is an absence for that day.  Thank you.

Lisa Quigley

Sep 21, 2016, 2:54:19 PM9/21/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
If a student is a Long Creek Youth Development Center how should we mark their attendance?
Is their absence exempt?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Richard Bergeron, Jr <rickbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all. Remember now that the MDOE has defined an instructional school day to be a min of 3 hours for ADA/ADM purposes, you may want to consider have 2 codes for both tardy and early release; one that counts for attendance and one that does not.

Rick Bergeron

Richard Bergeron, Jr

Sep 21, 2016, 3:37:16 PM9/21/16
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com

Of they are committed, you exit student with a code 11.
If they are only detained, they remain your student marked as absent each day

Rick Bergeron

Lisa Quigley