home language

1 view

Wallace, Andrew

Jan 31, 2017, 9:01:15 AM1/31/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Good morning - I have had a request to share with teachers the home languages of students when they look up a kid in IC. This info no longer shows on the summary screen (or maybe never did, though I thought it used to be there).
In order to help teachers request translators or at least be prepared for a potentially more challenging conversation, we are hoping to find a way to share this info. I am not keen on putting up a flag that says "ELL" for a number of reason (we use too many flags and labelling people these days - or any days - is something I'd rather not do.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information protected from disclosure by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. Any disclosure of the document is strictly prohibited outside the scope of the service for which you are receiving the information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

Nancy Embry

Jan 31, 2017, 9:15:59 AM1/31/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
We have ELL students whose Home Language of record is English,
because that's what the parents indicated, and we don't change that.

And kids who've been here long enough that they're no longer ELL
but whose Home (Language) remains other than English.

​And no (more) flags here either; which just means I don't have a solution.

Nancy Embry

Data Manager
Kittery School Department
207 439-2572  Ext. 108

nem...@kitteryschools.com

William Backman

Jan 31, 2017, 9:25:09 AM1/31/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
If I look up a student, under Student, General, Summary Tab: no Home primary language.
If I look them up under Census, People, Demographics Tab: I do see Home Primary Language in the summary screen.
Will Backman
Director of Technology
Kennebec Valley Consolidated Schools - AOS92.org
Vassalboro - Waterville - Winslow

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.." –William Gibson

Wallace, Andrew

Jan 31, 2017, 9:32:09 AM1/31/17
to MaineICU...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Will - that was my suggested fix, but apparently that's too many clicks...

Jan 31, 2017, 12:42:03 PM1/31/17
to MaineICUsersGroup
Teachers shouldn't typically have access to the census tabset anyway...

Seems strange that it was taken off the summary tab.  Best solution would be to start a case with IC and tell 'em to put it back.