Stunt anonymous object crashes

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 6:06:25 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
the usage of anobjs in my MOO has crashed my server once. i got no error and i have no idea how to reproduce it. on the offchance such a thing is known, what is guaranteed to cause a crash from the usage of anonymous objects in Stunt?

Chris Norman

May 13, 2018, 6:30:36 PM5/13/18
to MOO-...@googlegroups.com

I think if you try to assign them as a property to something?

So something.whatever = anonymous_object

HTH,

On 13/05/2018 23:06, Leviathan-7 wrote:
the usage of anobjs in my MOO has crashed my server once. i got no error and i have no idea how to reproduce it. on the offchance such a thing is known, what is guaranteed to cause a crash from the usage of anonymous objects in Stunt?

Todd Sundsted

May 13, 2018, 6:30:43 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
Why do you believe it was a usage of anonymous objects?

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 6:36:12 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
i'm only assuming; i remember having a similar problem with WAIFs and never figuring out what caused them to do what they did. but not once has my server crashed until trying to put anobjs to use, leading me to this assumption.

Todd Sundsted

May 13, 2018, 7:09:24 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
Are you using any other server extensions or is this just vanilla stunt?

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 7:10:23 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
i'm using the stunt binary, that's it. i'm using a ghostcore database but there are no modifications to the actual program.

Todd Sundsted

May 13, 2018, 7:10:26 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
I'm a sure there are bugs that i've not discovered, but I'm not aware of any bugs. Any that I could reproduce I fixed.

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 7:17:36 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
there was this which i'm not sure got ever resolved: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/MOO-talk/6okLnSfD6bo
based on the more concise information posted there, is there anything you can conclude?

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 8:25:09 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
a realization may have hit me that it wasn't a crash, because when i was having WAIF troubles, my shell said 'segmentation fault' but this one says 'aborted'. i know i didn't manually abort the MOO nor does anyone else have access to the shell.

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 8:30:25 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
of course me not being very knowledgeable when it comes to linux aborted probably means a crash. but for what it's worth that seems to be a key difference.

Michael Munson

May 13, 2018, 9:05:21 PM5/13/18
to Leviathan-7, MOO Talk
Are you running the MOO in the foreground on a terminal?

Leviathan-7

May 13, 2018, 9:18:48 PM5/13/18
to MOO Talk
at the time i was. i may not have been but i know i was at some point today.

Michael Munson

May 13, 2018, 9:25:16 PM5/13/18
to Leviathan-7, MOO Talk
Probably just an issue with the terminal dying, hitting Ctrl+c or similar issues. Recommend you use the restart script to launch it in the background or use a combination of nohup and & to fork it in the background and disassociate it with your terminal session.