Article: AR is an MMO

Steve Wainstead

Jul 12, 2016, 7:16:44 PM7/12/16
to MOO Talk
Quoting the lead:

"I’ve said this before, but in the wake of the viral success of Pokémon GO, it needs to be said again. Augmented reality is just a virtual world, an MMO, a MUD even, with all of the same design issues, plus a few new ones."

http://www.raphkoster.com/2016/07/11/ar-is-an-mmo/

Prometheus MOO

Jul 18, 2016, 4:21:16 PM7/18/16
to MOO-...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

I am using the Stunt+MySQL MOO server from
https://github.com/chrisnorman7/stunt
with a few modifications:
1. I added a few built-ins of my own, don't seem to leak or do anything
else strange.
2. I replaced the string_hash(), value_hash(), and binary_hash()
functions with the ones from the original Stunt, because those ones have
SHA512 compatibility.

Now, everything works, except for a very strange thing. Every few days
or so, the MOO server simply closes. I have attached the error in this
message.

Like it says, it seems to be a 'double free or corruption'. But I can't
find the error in the source code to save my life. If I ran it through
GDB, wouldn't that mean I'd have to have an open shell connection to
keep the GDB up?

Could anybody be willing to help me with this?

-- Cheers,
Con
Error.txt

Wolfgang Faust

Jul 18, 2016, 4:54:32 PM7/18/16
to Prometheus MOO, MOO-...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered using GNU screen? That way you could run moo in gdb in screen, then disconnect from screen. When it crashed you could then reconnect to your screen session to debug it.

Alternatively, I am reading that you can run `ulimit -c unlimited` to enable core dumps, then attach gdb to the core dump when you get one. (I don't think this allows you to try running code, but will let you investigate the stack etc.)

Could anybody be willing to help me with this?

-- Cheers,
Con

The views expressed above are exclusively mine, if anyone's.