What are the best options to run a modern MOO core on Windows?

Reno Jacobs

Apr 13, 2018, 11:07:05 PM4/13/18
to MOO Talk
Hello all,

I am curious what the best option is for someone to run a modern MOO on Windows?  I am aware of WinMOO, but always hear on this list that it is outdated, so I am curious what is the best option for users who do not have ready access to a Linux box?  I had heard rumors in the past of a port of GammaMOO to Windows, but never found any results on that.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be offered.

Luke Dashjr

Apr 13, 2018, 11:10:50 PM4/13/18
to MOO-...@googlegroups.com
Who uses Windows anymore?

Anyway, GammaMOO should compile fine with any modern C compiler.
No special porting needed.

Luke

lisdude

Apr 14, 2018, 1:29:57 AM4/14/18
to Reno Jacobs, MOO Talk
I wouldn't use this for a production server, but if you just want to experiment you can use the Linux subsystem in Windows 10. I don't recall what GammaMOO brings to the table, but nowadays I'd go with Stunt. Whichever way you go, though, the procedure is mostly the same. This should get you going:

1. Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux and launch a console window. Instructions for that can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10
2. sudo apt install build-essential gperf bison
3. git clone https://github.com/toddsundsted/stunt.git && cd stunt
4. ./configure
5. Edit `options.h` in your favorite text editor, though I can't think of anything off the top of my head that you might immediately want to change. I'd consider this step optional.
6. make

Once that's done, you'll want a core database. For our purposes, we'll be going with good old LambdaCore. Assuming you haven't done anything since the steps above:

1. mkdir ~/mymoo && cd ~/mymoo
2. wget http://lambda.moo.mud.org/pub/MOO/LambdaCore-latest.db
3. ~/stunt/moo LambdaCore-latest.db mymoo.db 8888

From there you should be able to connect to localhost on port 8888 and go to town. If you're completely new to MOO administration, I've been curating a list of resources for about a hundred years that might come in handy. You can find that here: https://lisdude.com/moo/

If you aren't using Windows 10, you'll want to look into Cygwin instead of the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Good luck!

Ethin Probst

Apr 15, 2018, 3:41:40 PM4/15/18
to MOO Talk
OK, I'm reposting this since I accidentally sent it to one of the members directly and didn't CC it. :) Woops? My message follows:
I haven't ever talked on this list... I don't think... I'm subscribed
to it though, it brings interesting discussion to the table. :) My
question isn't directly related to this topic -- OK, really, its not
related at all to this topic -- but its more along the lines related
to actually using Stunt. I've read here
(http://stunt.io/packages/primitive) and on several messages about
'frobs', which, according to the link above, are siimilar to waifs and
are 90 percent easier to implement. However, I haven't found a guide
on actually using frobs. (Actually, I haven't really found a guide on
either using Frobs or Anons... both would be nice.) :) So, if anyone
could either provide me links to guides or good instructions on how to
get started, that would be nice. :)

Reno Jacobs

Apr 16, 2018, 4:24:54 PM4/16/18
to MOO Talk
Luke:

Thank you for taking the time to explain that GammaMOO should work fine.  I appreciate it!

lisdude:

I had heard about the Linux subsystem and wondered if it would work, but I never saw any discussion on here regarding it (I don't know of any other good sources of MOO news, I am open to suggestions!)  so I thought maybe it may not work.  I do have Windows 10, so this is good to know, thank you!  Also, just a quick thank you for continuing to maintain your MOO web page.  I pretty much visit it every time my interest in MOO returns.  I hate seeing that so many resources that I used to frequent are going away, so it is good to see some still exist.

Speaking of MOO resources, what websites or lists do you frequent nowadays?  I only really know of this list and lisdude.com.  I have a hard time of letting go with MOO, as I spent a long time tinkering with it in the early 2000s when I first discovered it.  Late bloomer, I know.

Anyways, thank you all!