profiling stunt

Littlefield, Tyler

Nov 1, 2016, 10:56:34 PM11/1/16
to MOO Talk
All,
I've had a couple questions. I'm looking to set up a profiling system
which I'm happy to contribute should I get it working. Given some past
experience working on another mud, I'm curious of a few things:
1) I'm trying to understand how tasks are created in terms of
execute.cc. Would it make sense to build a priority queue structure and
then put tasks in there? Then when they're ready they just get called
until you get to something it's not time to call? I haven't done any
sort of work with valgrind on stunt yet, I just know from experience
that 400-500 tasks seem to slow things down quite a lot where they
really shouldn't.
2) Has anyone done/how hard would it be to create a profiler around
verbs? The goal would just be to measure how many times a verb is called
and the average time. You could then sort by longest time, most calls,
etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

--
Take care,
Ty